• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Happened To Scott Stokely?

Thanks for posting that vid, Star Shark. It gave us some insight into a player that most of us know very little about. I found it interesting that he said he's making the discs for him. Hopefully that also translates well into the general market.

If acetone doesn't remove the stamp, you're not getting it off. At least not without more acetone and a ton of scrubbing with a q-tip.

If it's pro like plastic and you are trying to remove the stamp to dye it, I wouldn't bother anyway - pro is not good for dye.

It's probably rubber. But the feel was closer to pro than suregrip to me.

Ugh... With all the weed innuendo... Ack.

Are we 100% sure about the weed innuendo? My disc doesn't say anything about doing drugs. It's a "KGB" ... I've never smoked KGB.

Last edited:
It's probably rubber. But the feel was closer to pro than suregrip to me.

Are we 100% sure about the weed innuendo? My disc doesn't say anything about doing drugs. It's a "KGB" ... I've never smoked KGB.
"Killer Green Bud" you smoking that mexi?:D

Don't forget the "Sticky-Icky-Icky" plastic. Almost every name is herb related. I have no problem with that.

I'm interested to try one of these discs. My hands are usually super dry, and I have trouble getting a good grip on many plastics. I'm with Scott, grip is the first thing I look for when trying out new discs.

Well, I'm going to take the approach that the AK-47 is a reference to the greatest assault rifle ever, Jack the Ripper is a serial killer in Britain, and White Widow is an old lady that lost her hubby.

:D

Don't forget the "Sticky-Icky-Icky" plastic. Almost every name is herb related. I have no problem with that.

I'm interested to try one of these discs. My hands are usually super dry, and I have trouble getting a good grip on many plastics. I'm with Scott, grip is the first thing I look for when trying out new discs.

You'll dig them, for sure. Grip was the first thing I noticed. Like a tacky pro, or gummy suregrip.

Last edited:
Absolutely weed innuendo. I no longer partake, but the lingo is definitely not lost on me. Every single aspect of those discs is weed related... I mean, c'mon!!! FLY HIGH!!! 👌

But, the statement that they're trying to tap into that particular market is spot on. It is Colorado, after all.

That guy who pulls out a joint is no more interested in those silly names than you are.
The vast majority of pot smokers would prefer having none of this on them, no reason to give the officer to keep looking.
His names are tragically out of date, and not at all nuanced.
No one cares about your silly stamp, we care about the mold and the plastic.

Exactly. I don't give a rat's ass if people partake or not, but this branding is sophomoric. We're not all 15 year olds thumbing our noses at "the man" with our cool weed name discs. Truly just pathetic, and that's really saying something given how childish and lame so much disc golf imagery already is.

More acetone was the answer.

24875-cowbell-gif-pl3I.jpeg

We're not all 15 year olds thumbing our noses at "the man" with our cool weed name discs. Truly just pathetic, and that's really saying something given how childish and lame so much disc golf imagery already is.

But we can't deny that the market is out there - plenty of 15 year old "thumbers" that will proudly display their KGB and White Widow on the dash of their car. And even though "We" aren't the "target demographic" "we" are still purchasing and wiping the stamps because it's a new toy that we just can't help but want to feel up.

Exactly. I don't give a rat's ass if people partake or not, but this branding is sophomoric. We're not all 15 year olds thumbing our noses at "the man" with our cool weed name discs. Truly just pathetic, and that's really saying something given how childish and lame so much disc golf imagery already is.

Yeah man, nobody would be interested in purchasing a product that blatantly references weed in it's branding.

Dr.DreTheChronic.jpg

OH WAIT...

I'm pretty sure Matt was using the word correctly there. Scott seems like a nice guy, and I wish him luck, but the whole naming scheme does seem to be a notch, intellectually, below Highlights for Children. That being said, there likely is a market for it. After all, it's pretty common to see head shops sponsoring tournaments. I won't get on my high horse and try to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, but I will say that this seems...tacky.

I'm not saying there isn't some market necesaarily, or that I give two ****s what people write on their discs, ör that there aren't a bunch of loadies playing at your local course. I'm saying I think the names are stupid, and the marketing approach is stupid. People extrapolate and get reactionary from that point, and that's cool too. I think the names are dumb, you think they're great? Well bully for you. I can live in a world where your opinion differs from mine without making assumptions or getting upset.

Cheers to you and your stupidly named discs and your skulls and monsters and other things I thought were cool when I was in 10th grade. :)

Who cares what the discs are named. He lives in a state with legal cannabis. Welcome to the future.

I find it much more interesting to hear his story of being at the top, getting burnt out/dealing with injury, focusing on his family, dealing with some sort of depression/low point in his life and returning to disc golf with intentions of getting back to the top.

I will admit... I was kind of hoping with his return he'd get Discraft to run some of those older molds he was famous for using. From what it sounded like though... ownership of Discraft changed since he played for them? I wonder if that is another reason that contributed to them never rebuilding their pro team after the Prodigy folks left.

I'm pretty sure Matt was using the word correctly there. Scott seems like a nice guy, and I wish him luck, but the whole naming scheme does seem to be a notch, intellectually, below Highlights for Children. That being said, there likely is a market for it. After all, it's pretty common to see head shops sponsoring tournaments. I won't get on my high horse and try to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, but I will say that this seems...tacky.

I see what you did there!

Latest posts