• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's an ace for you?

What is an ace?

• Total voters

Meillo

Eagle Member
Do you consider every shot an ace that goes from the teepad into the basket, no matter if you throw fifty consecutive shots on that hole? Or do you consider it only an ace if it's in tournament conditions, i.e. the first shot on the hole?

Last edited:
The latter is what I personally count for myself. In the interest of having fun, making a video, etc. I have no problems with people counting the former as an ace (unless there is acepot money or something involved.)

It is an Ace only from Tee pad calling it that, doing a hole in one is if you just keep throwing from a tee. however if the disc gets stuck in a tree in California above 2 meters and the disc somehow falls out into the basket before you get to doing the next throw, say wind or something affects the disc then I would count it unless in a PDGA tournament.

I have had 1 true ace in my life in my first year of mid 2003 to mid 2004, soon after in late 2004 early fall or early 2005 in spring the hole moved the basket and tee pad location for safety, throwing across a road that vehicles are supposed go slower on was not safe as we would see impatient often newer players hit the back of the vehicle, sometimes some players try to play beat the car, and worst the person would throw and the car driver would turn at some nearby spots try to play hit the disc because they are the other people in the state park who hate the small amount of $$$ that gets used for a Disc Golf Course. Not Realizing how much $$$ a course can bring in to a State park for a tournament with the people who play are often camping or in a camper/large van to save time, when other tournaments like Fishing they do not even need to start off from the state park if on a bigger body of water like a lake or even stay in the campsite if they plan to launch from other places, they will stay at other places including often cheaper City camp areas.

Cubbies are not Aces.

When you miss your first putt and make your second one (happens a lot) - it's the first shot that counts to the scorecard. everything else is a practice shot

Playing a tight west NC woods course yesterday morning. Hole is a slight hyzer with a blind pin at around 240'. For my aimpoint at around 200' I picked a single disc sized clump of fresh spring green leaves in bright sunlight against shadow... and hit that small clump of leaves. That, by god, is an ace![emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you consider every shot an ace that goes from the teepad into the basket, no matter if you throw fifty consecutive shots on that hole? Or do you consider it only an ace if it's in tournament conditions, i.e. the first shot on the hole?

This again. How about a prerube?

Hole-in-ONE. About the same year I learned to count. O-N-E.

an Ace and a Hole-in-One are 2 different things.

Ace = 1 shot in 1 try

Hole-in-One = getting it in the basket from the tee in 1 shot, on any attempt after the 1st

It is an Ace only from Tee pad calling it that, doing a hole in one is if you just keep throwing from a tee...

uh, not me guys. no.

Like I said. I can count. Everything after "One" is not ONE.

Having never aced, even I know that it's the first throw that is 100% a pure ace for its aceness. Any other "ace" is dramatically less pure even if it can be called an ace by some other standard.

However, if my first "ace" happens to be an ace of the mulligan variety, this ethical belief will not stop me from claiming an ace the first time I throw a fake news mulligan ace. I'll definitely claim it's an ace, but I will know that I'm a hypocrite for it.

My wife threw a "mulligan ace" last year. We counted it, but we both know it's a lie.

Well, now it depends on who throws it.

If I throw one in on a practice shot, I don't count it as an ace and I never have. But if my wife throws one in on a mulligan, I'm counting it for her. She never has, but I would never want to take that away from her.

Either you put a "1" or the score card, or you didn't. How can it be any simpler than that?

Another criteria: If it doesn't (or wouldn't) qualify for a share of the Ace pool, then it ain't an Ace.

Last edited:
It is pretty simple, the scorecard is the tell.

But the inspiration from an Ace has its own sway.. I can see where the rules would be bent for nothing more than fun. I would play along. Especially if there was a kid and it was his first one and unclear of the simple rules why muddy up his enjoyment? Being a rule Nazi can detract from what is a simple and personal accomplishment. If I'm not playing for money it's an ace. If they want to believe I will too.

Hell if the kid was less than 14 I'd pay em too.

It is an Ace only from Tee pad calling it that, doing a hole in one is if you just keep throwing from a tee. however if the disc gets stuck in a tree in California above 2 meters and the disc somehow falls out into the basket before you get to doing the next throw, say wind or something affects the disc then I would count it unless in a PDGA tournament.

I have had 1 true ace in my life in my first year of mid 2003 to mid 2004, soon after in late 2004 early fall or early 2005 in spring the hole moved the basket and tee pad location for safety, throwing across a road that vehicles are supposed go slower on was not safe as we would see impatient often newer players hit the back of the vehicle, sometimes some players try to play beat the car, and worst the person would throw and the car driver would turn at some nearby spots try to play hit the disc because they are the other people in the state park who hate the small amount of $$$ that gets used for a Disc Golf Course. Not Realizing how much $$$ a course can bring in to a State park for a tournament with the people who play are often camping or in a camper/large van to save time, when other tournaments like Fishing they do not even need to start off from the state park if on a bigger body of water like a lake or even stay in the campsite if they plan to launch from other places, they will stay at other places including often cheaper City camp areas.

Do you get paid by how many words you can post without punctuation, or by how confused you can make your editor?

Thanks for the clear picture. I wanted to be sure that my view on the topic was right. What for you might be cristal clear, because of the much more existent disc golf culture you live in, it was not for me.

The ace vs. hole-in-one distinction was completely new to me. Wikipedia explains them as synonyms. The page is even named: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_in_one

When I'm playing and keeping score, I card the first disc from start to finish. If I throw doubles, they're just "what ifs".

Latest posts