• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats the best way to hit some new courses

As you hit the new courses, don't be afraid to seek out the locals for advice. Ask if you can play with them. If you can't play in their group, ask if can just play behind them. One of the toughest things about playing many courses for the first time is just finding your way around.

I like playing alone, but I have followed behind groups of locals many times. I am usually in no hurry so if they are not screwing around thereby taking forever, IMO it's the ideal way to play a hard to navigate course while traveling and bagging.

aside from my 9 hole home course.. the nearest course is roughly 100 miles round trip. after that its at least 5-6 hours round trip. poor me.

Yeah, that would suck. Guess I cant complain about there not being a decent one right in town for me when I see that.

You'd think with all that barren land in AZ there would be a few courses...

There are... Im just stuck in the corner of the state away from much civilization. The courses amount will change before very long, with a few 9 holers being installed an hour away, and Im currently working on designing an 18 holer in town, that will hopefully be a reality within a year. But still.. I got into disc golf living here... and there was a time I was 20 minutes away from Delaveaga. my timing is bad.

Some friends and I have gone out and played 45 holes in one day on three different courses. They were all within a half hour of each other, but the closest was 60 miles from home. We took a portable bbq and a cooler full of beers. It was a long day (everyone shot more than 20 over), but super fun, and we got to try three courses we never played.

come up to cleveland and play 4 courses!

What 4 courses? I dont think they made my list but if I extend the 50 to 60 I would see a lot more in Cleveland and Columbus area. Im almost dead in the middle of the 2 cities.

I have about 9 courses on my wish list (basically anything I havent played and looks at least mediocre) within the 50 miles of my location and figure I will start with them.

Was thinking about a big roadtrip weekend and driving in one big circle, but; not knowing how long it will take to play each, and the fact that it adds up to a lot of driving in a huge circle, then I am hitting courses with other courses not real far away but just not in that radius, maybe the circle isnt such a good idea.

So was thinking; maybe I pick the closest course on my wishlist, go there play; then once I see how much time it took to get there and get done, just look at the nearest on the nearby courses I havent played and follow that wherever it takes me.

Any suggestions on something like this?

Hey, I heard about this great website that can help you plan a trip like this. It has just about every course plotted out on google maps. There are even reviews for each course. The website is dgcoursereview.com. Hope it helps.;)

My buddy, his dad and I play 9 courses in 4 days. We pick the 2 to 3 courses that were on the same route and pack a cooler with lunch meat and water and took snack. We played each course twice except for forked run...that course is long and brutal in high winds.

Do it during the week, and maybe you and I could hit several of the AmWorlds courses.
Upper Sandusky
Bucyrus
Marion

keep going south if time!
:D

1 word: Golf-camping. Ok maybe that's two words but that's whats its all about. Find a friend that is as hardcore about golfing as you and play 2-4 courses a day for as many days as your can, sleeping only on cold, hard dirt and eating only trail mix, jerky and beer. I normally make it for about 4-5 days before my arm falls off.

1 word: Golf-camping. Ok maybe that's two words but that's whats its all about. Find a friend that is as hardcore about golfing as you and play 2-4 courses a day for as many days as your can, sleeping only on cold, hard dirt and eating only trail mix, jerky and beer. I normally make it for about 4-5 days before my arm falls off.
If you have beer why do you need trail mix and jerky?

Maybe we need to create a network of places for couch crashing when visiting courses out of your typical area. I have 6-7 courses right around me and wouldn't mind letting people crash for a weekend of disc golf. Plus when people are there the wife is less likely to complain about my discing because there are people there just for that reason lol.

Do it during the week, and maybe you and I could hit several of the AmWorlds courses.
Upper Sandusky
Bucyrus
Marion

keep going south if time!
:D

I know Bucyrus is top of my hit list. Its right there and not much further than Medina, just the opposite direction from the people I usually play with. I will definately hit you up sometime to head that way.

What kind of time parameters do you have for this? Just looking at your wish list map that's at least two days worth of work once you factor drive time and slowed play due to crowds (I assume you have a traditional "weekend" with Sat-Sun off, unlike myself).

What kind of time parameters do you have for this? Just looking at your wish list map that's at least two days worth of work once you factor drive time and slowed play due to crowds (I assume you have a traditional "weekend" with Sat-Sun off, unlike myself).

Yeah, its a typical Saturday, Sunday weekend usually. I probably am going to split it up and hit east one day, then do west another, etc, etc and go out further in those directions if I have time. Got a couple good highways that intersect nearby running east to west and north to south.

for a day trip i usually pick one main destination, a course that i'd really like to play. then hit any 9 holers on the way and have 1 or 2 18's on the list in case there is time or if i end up skipping anything else or only playing one round at any given course.

this is how i've been whittling away at the DFW/waco/austin courses.

I've been working like a maniac all morning and I finally get a chance to come on here and what's the first thing I read?

... It's not rocket science.

^^ THIS ^^

I will now make it my sig line. Props to you, VictorB, you are a true philosopher of the ages :D

Latest posts