• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where are you headed in your disc golf journey?

In 2014; I had my first child, started and quit a new job, re-injured my back, and started a new job that I actually like.

In 2015 I'm going to continue strengthening my back, playing more tournaments, improving my form and putting, playing in Open more often, and traveling to new courses. I'm also going to be running a local league again, which I'm looking forward to.

Considering I just started playing this year...

1) I'd like to break 300' consistently. My form needs work, and I especially want to make sure I'm not throwing in a way that will lead to chronic injuries. After a long round my right shoulder and hip are sore for a day.

2) Improve my putting consistency. I'd like to get to 100% inside 15'. There's already a basket set up in my basement, so no excuses.

3) Physical conditioning. I'm not overweight, but I've never been very strong, especially in my core. Gotta amp up the core conditioning and maybe bring in some regular aerobic work as well.

2015 resolutions? Awesome!

1. I'd like to start a league that runs parallel to my club's points races and meets more than once per month. Disc golf is awesome, but it's way more fun on the competitive side, in my opinion. Makes you want to play more. Makes you want to play right. Makes you want to improve.

2. I'd like to play in twice the number of PDGA sanctioned events than I did last year. Further, I'd like to make at least half of the NC ECO points-race tournaments along the eastern seaboard.

3. I'd like to shave off enough strokes on my game to place in the top three of all amateurs in New Hanover County.

4. I'd like to have a hand in creating an atmosphere on my local courses that encourages the competitive side of the game while still emphasizing the social aspect of it. I'd like to be a good enough ambassador for the game that makes new players not only feel welcome and accepted, but also makes them want to join the club. (And, by extension, the PDGA.)

5. Finally, I'd like to finally beat malignant discbuyernoma. I've GOT to stop spending so much money on new plastic.

Might actually get a PDGA membership and play in more tourneys. The only thing I want to do is install/improve courses in my area b/c there are a lot of people with chit for brains.

2015 I plan on getting my PDGA number, playing in more local mini's since I won't be a day shifter, improve my putting and driving by continuous work and practice. May even get a basket to throw in the back yard.

2015 Goals (in no particular order):
1. Step up my game through diligent practice. Work on consistency in putting. Add effective forehand option.
2. Play at least 1 sanctioned tourney per month, on average. Try to cash in every tourney I play.
3. Find sponsorships.
4. Work on personal fitness to complement upgrades in my skill set.
5. Develop my local scene further, including expanding the club, adding new amenities and options for the course(s), planning a new course install, and hosting more sanctioned and unsanctioned tourneys.
6. Write a proposal for funding to install a temp/permanent course where I work.
7. Develop an ongoing educational disc golf experience for my students.
8. Play well at Pro Worlds in Pittsburgh next summer.

I'd just like to play. Been in Australia for a few months now and I've played less than 10 rounds here. Definitely miss disc golf in America.

The one thing I really want to do is learn how to flick. I can flick approach but that's about it. When I try to add driving power its fugly as heck. Also, I may actually play one tourney possibly. In 2013, I had my first child(well my wife did.) Well, in May, baby #2 will be here. So, I may not be able to accomplish either goal. One absolutely great thing I have going for me is the fact there is a course within walking distance of work. Combine that with a group of 4-8 on my night shift that play, and this spring summer should be a blast. We have talked about running an informal early(0630) morning dubs league. As long as I am playing and having fun I am happy. Another great thing I have is a most amazing wife. She never gets mad at me for playing. She says it keeps me happy and keeps my multiple sclerosis in check. She will walk the course with me with the stroller at my home course. When I play more rough terrain, she will either drop me off, or I get a ride. I seriously think sometimes she just wants to get rid of me for the day.

Last edited:
Last year, my goal was to add distance, which I did. Went from about 310' consistently to about 350-360' consistently. What I did find, was that thinking about distance most of the time had an affect on my short game.

This year, I'm going to be happy with my distance, and concentrate on my upshots and putting, and at least get them back to where they were, and hopefully better. I'd also like to work on the art of powering down...I'm terrible at it.

2013 Results: Played first tournament rounds. Finished rated over 900. Won a tourney in Intermediate. Only finished out of cash (er, plastic) in one tournament of the five I played. My forehand transitioned from non-existent to sometimes servicable.

2014 Goals: Get another Intermediate win. Get to the point that they call me a bagger in Intermediate. Build more skill and confidence in my forehand. Work on maintaining confidence and shaking off bad shots. Finish in top half of every event.

2014 Results: Got my second Intermediate win. Still at the point where no one calls me a bagger (in Intermediate). I do have much more contol and confidence in my forehand. Finished in top half of every event.

Not too shaby. My rating is only a 10 points better than last year but I know I'm more capable than before. My distance has improved. I still need to work on decision-making; I definitely press when I don't need to. I need to play smarter; there are many holes that I need to throw a something slow and neutral and just take my pars. The other consideration I need to focus on is stamina. When tired I end up with lots of lazy, early release kind of shots.

2015 Goals: Another intermediate win. Finish with rating above 925. Transition forehand from serviceable to a strength. Continue to improve footwork and comfort/control from standstill position with backhand. Maintain putter mojo to throw on drives for slow and straight finishes to make pars. Maintain good stamina and focus for entire 4 round tournament. Play in 2015 Am Worlds and finish in upper half of 3rd flight.

Have you been in my shoes before? What happened?

I did the same as you several years ago (2009-2010 iirc). I didn't get to play in as many tournaments as I wanted but I did well. I practiced putting on a bullseye all the time. Midrange and putter upshot practice a lot during my casual solo rounds instead of just playing the course. I think the first year I did that was my best year, my rating went up to 96x, but I didn't stick with it because I got burned out too fast. It wasn't as fun for me after that year and I put too much pressure on myself.

The next season I played more tournaments out of town, didn't practice as much, didn't do really well in the tournaments, but had a blast traveling and playing different courses and meeting cool people. High competition golf can be fun but I found out over those years that it isn't really for me.

Last edited:
The one thing I really want to do is learn how to flick. I can flick approach but that's about it. When I try to add driving power its fugly as heck. Also, I may actually play one tourney possibly. In 2013, I had my first child(well my wife did.) Well, in May, baby #2 will be here. So, I may not be able to accomplish either goal. One absolutely great thing I have going for me is the fact there is a course within walking distance of work. Combine that with a group of 4-8 on my night shift that play, and this spring summer should be a blast. We have talked about running an informal early(0630) morning dubs league. As long as I am playing and having fun I am happy. Another great thing I have is a most amazing wife. She never gets mad at me for playing. She says it keeps me happy and keeps my multiple sclerosis in check. She will walk the course with me with the stroller at my home course. When I play more rough terrain, she will either drop me off, or I get a ride. I seriously think sometimes she just wants to get rid of me for the day.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 30, and have 3 boys, I no longer have to look for a group to play with, I just load up the truck and take the boys out for a round. And I completely forgot about flick...is it too late to add to my list?

I think I only played 5 complete rounds this year. Next year I just want to play more golf, and have fun.

Have fun
Get back to practicing putting so I'm automatic out to 20' (at least) again
Get to 150 courses played
Grow my driving distance by at least 50'
Stop buying and trying every disc released and get to know my bag again

I used to be a competitive golfer that lived to play tournaments. Now, I just want to play for fun and leave the drama out. I may play a fun tournament here and there, but I think my days of taking the game seriously are behind me.

Oh yeah, most definitely need to teach my putter to go in the basket.

Develop a forehand.
Practice finesse.
Keep practicing putting.
Start playing tournaments.

Latest posts