• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where Should Pro Worlds Go?

Ahhh ok so this thread is just everyone posting their fantasies.
:rolleyes:

And volunteering other people's time lol

How very DGCR

That was the entire premise of the thread from the initial post.

Okay so the two course format has been set which opens up a lot more possibilities for where Pro Worlds can be set.

If you could pick the locations yourself what are the Top 5 places Pro Worlds should go after Smugglers Notch?

;)

Last edited:
Selah/Texas Twist and Deuce would be a decent spot.

Portland shows up well on video.

Mt. Airy would get absolutely obliterated by top pros...no freaking way.

Highbridge would be neat, just to see how much better players are now than they were in 2007.

Whatever they do, there has to be more than four rounds, though. That's a big time bummer.

how_very.gif

Okay so the two course format has been set which opens up a lot more possibilities for where Pro Worlds can be set.

If you could pick the locations yourself what are the Top 5 places Pro Worlds should go after Smugglers Notch?

Ahhh ok so this is just someone ignoring the OP and reading the comments starting halfway through the thread

And thread crapping on a decent post lol

How very DGCR

So my trying to get people to think about practical issues in selecting a locale is thread crapping?

Uhhh...whatever you say man

So by suggesting these courses do we know for a fact that there are clubs in those areas ready, willing and able to host these giant events? Or are these suggestions just wild fantasies?

:popcorn:

Like I said, the rumblings I've heard is the Hub City club in Spartanburg is geniunely interested in hosting Worlds, and with the support the city has already thrown behind the sport I don't think that's an unrealistic rumor.

Ahhh ok so this thread is just everyone posting their fantasies.

And volunteering other people's time lol

How very DGCR

Also dang man, chill out.

So my trying to get people to think about practical issues in selecting a locale is thread crapping?

Uhhh...whatever you say man

Considering it was a for fun what if/if only discussion of potential areas with courses that could support Worlds (especially since one of the reasons to go to four rounds on two courses was to open up the ability to host Worlds to more locales) and not an actual do you think this could realistically happen post, then yeah, I'd say it's thread crapping.

Travel and lodging for SF is likely to be some of the most expensive in the country. Might be tough with the average pro's salary.

And will continue to be tough unless we get the sport out of the podunk and into the cities. More exposure = more money. SF is where its at. There are plenty of couches to surf...

And will continue to be tough unless we get the sport out of the podunk and into the cities. More exposure = more money. SF is where its at. There are plenty of couches to surf...

Because nothing shows the sport isn't podunk like pros having to couch surf because they can't afford a hotel room :)

And don't assume everyone has your "grow the sport" attitude. I am a middle-aged grouch and I think most of the courses I like are too crowded as it is.

Edit: And since this thread is clearly more fantasy than reality, I apologise for pooping on your posts. See, was that so hard?

Last edited:
Because nothing shows the sport isn't podunk like pros having to couch surf because they can't afford a hotel room :)
lol touche

And don't assume everyone has your "grow the sport" attitude. I am a middle-aged grouch and I think most of the courses I like are too crowded as it is.

Edit: And since this thread is clearly more fantasy than reality, I apologise for pooping on your posts. See, was that so hard?

it's ok to have a difference of opinion. I don't feel like you trashed the post! I'm a middle aged grouch too, who grew to really enjoy the pay to play experience as it highly reduces the chukker factor on the courses. Only folks with enough money can get trashed and spray discs around on the courses I like now! :D

It's the PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships. Is there a reason why it shouldn't be held outside of US, for a change?

I mean, if a compelling bid was put in by a club in another country I don't see why not. Although I don't think there's really anywhere else in the world besides the US with enough courses already in the ground and of the right caliber for it to work, that I'm aware of anyways (of course, temp courses can be constructed and what not). I'm sure the PDGA would be willing to look at bids from other countries that met the criteria.

Plus then you get into the logistics for all the US players to get over there etc etc.

And then the Euro Masters/Open has kind of been the European version of the Worlds here.

And then as I've said before, the USDGC really is what functions more as the actual World Championships with how large the International Field usually is there, its single course and relatively solid date etc.

So no, there really isn't a set in stone reason why, and I feel like the current format definitely makes it easier for a club in a foreign country to put in a bid and for the logistics of the PDGA to work out hosting it over there.

Maple Hill MA, and Wickham Park CT are an hour away from each other. Maple hill is maple hill, and wickham is a huge bomber course on beautiful manicured grass +wooded holes that holds a yearly A-Tier (an often a USDGC Qualifier) that has hosted all the big guns (especially when its the week before vibram).

Both parks are private/semi-private and have the infrastructure to easily hold majors. the majority of the top pros have played at wickhams Greater Hartford Disc Golf Open (mcbeth, ricky, koling, paige, shusterick, uli).

They're an hour apart?

yes. about 50miles all highway. also both courses have a ton of different layouts (and different bomber layouts) to mix things up between two rounds.

Last edited:
I mean, if a compelling bid was put in by a club in another country I don't see why not. Although I don't think there's really anywhere else in the world besides the US with enough courses already in the ground and of the right caliber for it to work, that I'm aware of anyways (of course, temp courses can be constructed and what not). I'm sure the PDGA would be willing to look at bids from other countries that met the criteria.

Plus then you get into the logistics for all the US players to get over there etc etc.
Given the Beast will still be playable in the near future, the Tampere area will soon have two championship level courses with adequate facilities. That would be the perfect location for the first official world championships in Europe.

I don't see US players traveling overseas for worlds being a problem because most top players already come here every year. It'd be an incentive for a bit larger North American turnout if anything.

Last edited:
Just returned from a road trip to Madison, WI. out of KC. What beautiful courses they have... I vote for Madison, WI.

Although our courses are good, we have no gold level course in the area. We may be adding one in 2018 but I'm not too optimistic it will be a gold level course.

Given the Beast will still be playable in the near future, the Tampere area will soon have two championship level courses with adequate facilities. That would be the perfect location for the first official world championships in Europe.

I don't see US players traveling overseas for worlds being a problem because most top players already come here every year. It'd be an incentive for a bit larger North American turnout if anything.

If that comes to fruition then yeah, that'd definitely be good enough for Worlds; that is pretty much the number one benefit the PDGA was pushing with this new format, that it would open up the ability to host Worlds to more locations.

Do mean a bit larger turnout compared to the normal European Open/Masters?

Although our courses are good, we have no gold level course in the area. We may be adding one in 2018 but I'm not too optimistic it will be a gold level course.

I have played every course the PDGA chose for the 2009 and 2014 Worlds in KC and Emporia and think Token Creek and Capital Springs can stand with any of those courses. However because of time limits was unable to play Elver or Hiestand but am very eager to road trip asap to play those.

Moreover of the many DG destinations I have played the Mad City Disc Golf Club seems to be very engaged and, I believe, would have no problem hosting a Worlds. When talking disc golf Madison, WI has got it going on.

Latest posts