• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

With all the hype on 5 star courses...

There are a lot of things that most can agree upon in course reviews such as bad drainage, too many competing non discgolf activities, bathrooms or lack of the need for them, confusing layouts, decent teepad signs, etc... The part that is confusing is how much those things are worth in a rating system. I usually look at the reviews that have lengthy text to get all that information. I could really care less about the actual rating. I also think it's kind of cheesy when the course designer is at the course asking people to review it. Our course is a really nice park but it's used for many different things so the most important thing to be telling people who are interested in travelling to come play it is what the best days to come are where you aren't going to have to worry about flag football being played in the fairway of 12 on Thursday's and Sundays and the soccer parents lined up on 9's fairway on Sunday afternoon. The course is rated at a 3.75 and after going there numerous times and having to find someplace else to go because of everything else going on I'm ready to give it a 1 disc rating but then I have to deal with the designer upset with my review periodically because we can't agree on what's important. His goal is to increase interest by padding the rating. I am more interested in giving an accurate review and let people decide based on non-opinionated facts, like are you going to be able to play the course as intended without hitting kids, or are you going to have wet feet on a dry day because a drainage structure is dumping water off the parking lot into 11's basket. I try to stay away from pin placement and course design stuff.

Personally I like the review system with all its flaws just the way it is. Most reviewers I would hope at least try to be objective. And if they've done their job right it will be a fair and balanced opinion based on their own personal tastes. I don't just look at the number, but the text and try to put the 2 together to get a flavor of what the course is all about. I use it as a travel guide to determine if I might want to try Course A over Course B when I'm on the road. And according to what I've read a 5 disc course "leaves nothing to be desired." That's pretty subjective in and of itself. For a 5 would be just that, nothing left for ME to desire. Some folks could care less about amenities, but just how the course plays. I like the amenities. No garbage cans, no benches, no 5. But that's me.

I simply don't understand the big hullabaloo about trying to fix or tweak the system. Take it for what its worth.

Hey how about this, if you disagree, why don't you ask the reviewer personally why they reviewed a course the way they did.

Warts and all, the current review system has unerringly steered me to great courses. Any system has strengths and weaknesses. As long as you know what those are, this site is gold.

herman cain is such a joke! f that douche

I always love an informed opinion.

Until they install baskets at Augusta National, build a fabulous disc golf pro shop and hire teaching pros, there is no 5 star course.

Ok... I woke up. Just as everyone reviews each course a different way, because they expect different things from a course... everyone has a different view of what a 5 star course is. I have yet to play on one.

Think it's fine and an amazing asset to my addiction to this amazing game. Timg has created the best Disc Golf site on the net, not because of the site, but because of the reviewers and people. There are allot of people that make garbage reviews of course but there are some that try and make very intelligent well informed reviews.

I've used this site to find courses when I've traveled this past year. The map feature was great and the reviews along with the ratings always seemed to fit what I saw in all the new courses I played.

In short, the review system on this site works!

I don't just look at the number, but the text and try to put the 2 together to get a flavor of what the course is all about.

Yep. That and every other sentiment like it. That's how reviews go. I love the review portion of this site. It's what brought me here.

Latest posts