• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your favorite last hole

#18 at Walnut Creek in Charlottesville is a nice hole. A 365' carry over water to go straight at the pin, with a bailout (and then a shorter carry over the same water) to the right. Coupled with #17 I'll put these two closing holes up against any course.

I got to give a shout out to #18 at Glenn C. Hilton in Hickory. You always want to throw your whole bag at it no matter how tired you are.

#18 at Hilton is all bark and no bite. It's a pretty simple shot, but the view is great.

My fav of the one's I've played is 18 at Earlewood.

My fav of the one's I've played is 18 at Earlewood.

Seconded, as well as #18 Winthrop Gold.

My hope for Hole 18s is that a 2 or 3 stroke lead is not entirely safe on them. Holes that 95% end up birdie or par are acceptable mid-course, but a finishing hole needs drama.

In the defunct category---Gran Canyon (Brooksville, FL) #18 (for the 18-hole loop) and #27 (for the full 27), the latter being a crush off a "mountaintop" to the quarry floor below, a journey across it, then the basket on a wide ledge, I guess 25' up a cliff wall.

In the self-promotion category---Stoney Hill #18, where a 3 is possible with 3 perfect shots (it's never been 2'd), but great peril lies on the drive....and the upshot....and especially the putts.

#18 at Hilton is all bark and no bite. It's a pretty simple shot, but the view is great.

This may be true, but the original question was...what are some of your favorite finishing holes?

That said of what I've played I would say 18 Hilton, 18 Renny Gold, 18 Brackett's Bluff.

My favorite last hole I've ever played was #18 at Holler in the Hills in Brownsville, KY. This hole has the most amazing elevation change; it's like throwing off a mountain. Go short and left your in a pond. Long and left your in some thick schule. You can even go o.b. if you're 6oft. past, which isn't to difficult. The hole is 310' with the basket straight out and throwing from such a high vantage point control and accuracy is key. The whole course is really tough and emphasizes control and accuracy over power. Definately worth playing even if it's only the last three holes. I would almost pay the 5 bucks just to play those last 3 holes. They're sweet.

While my experience is regionally limited, I will give me all-star list of finishing holes...

Renny Gold is definitely my favorite...and the most difficult (the ravine)
Bud Hill - Memphis (carry over a "non-dingy" pond)
Cedar Hill - Nashville (all about the pin position)
Lake Cumberland State Park - Jamestown, KY (neat elevated shot around a massive tree)
Mt. Airy Forest - Cincinnati, OH (long anhyzer with a well-protected pin)

Remember that hole 18 is rarely the last hole in a round with most events being shotgun starts and divisions starting on different holes. Makes a good case to strive for all holes to have good scoring spread if possible.

This may be true, but the original question was...what are some of your favorite finishing holes?

That said of what I've played I would say 18 Hilton, 18 Renny Gold, 18 Brackett's Bluff.

Hence, it's not one of my favorites. Thanks for the clarification.

Remember that hole 18 is rarely the last hole in a round with most events being shotgun starts and divisions starting on different holes. Makes a good case to strive for all holes to have good scoring spread if possible.

Yes, but most of us play more casual rounds than tournament rounds. Most, but not all, of those casual rounds start on Hole 1. And whether you're shooting for your best score, or trying to beat your buddies, a great spread on the finishing hole is desirable.

And even tournaments---around here, by habit, the lead card on the Open division starts on Hole 1. So if the Open Division comes down to the final hole, a great final hole is nice.

You're right, of course, that we should strive for good scoring spreads on all holes. But especially Hole 18, and preferably a more-severe-than-average scoring spread.

Of course, not all property permits this, as we're limited to where courses begin & end.

#18 at the High Country course in Jefferson, NC - 66 foot drop from the short tees, 140 foot drop from the longs.

Here's the view from the long tees - 818 feet
18pro.jpg

Here's the view from the short tees - 604 feet
18am.jpg

And a view back from the fairway
18fairwayrev.jpg

Hole 18 (or 27 - either way it is the last of your round) at Winter Park. 300' across a pond. Allows shorter throws to hyzer out 150' to the left, or play it safe all the way around the edge of the pond.

c575bb91.jpg

51edb3d6.jpg

Since I mainly play in Houston its hard to think of a memorable 18th hole, maybe #18 at Taylor lake since it is an island green. But the best 18 I've ever played is #18 at Circle C in Austin. It is an absolute epic 800+ foot hyzer hole that optimizes Texas disc golf in my opinion. This hole can totally make or break a round.

Gonna have to say my previous home course of Sugarbottom DGC in North Liberty IA. Depending on pin location, either about 500 to almost 800 feet. Slight downhill all the way with trees on both side of the fairway. Through a straight shot for your drive and fairway shot and you should be good. A hole that could make or break your round. Just a good one to let them fly.

over 100 courses played and i couldn't come up with many good ones...lotsa boring ones..
hyzer creek: saratoga springs, ny-hardest 160' hole i have ever seen..hard to describe in words
farm life:williamston,nc-shout out to ken roberson's lil gem..fun finishing hole over a pond
tinicum:new hope, pa-kinda boring? but 800' and the pin is guarded well after a monstrous fairway
oxbow: canastota(home of the boxing hall of fame), ny-severe downhill with thick rough on both
sides..awesome view and the bigger arms have an over the top of EVERYTHING option

hole #18 @ sioux passage in st. louis, mo has my favorite/the best ending hole of courses that i've played.

view from the tee:
hole18tee.jpg

the hole plays from 470-800' depending on pin placement, with the tall grasses on the right side of the fairway OB and a drop-zone for re-teeing nestled in the tree line on the left side. big arms can considerably shorten the hole by taking a risky flight path directly over the OB grasses and fading back in to a fairway landing zone. the sloping, undulating fairway also puts a premium on placement for shorter arms, as depending on your landing zone, your approach to the green/pin may be made more difficult by either having to shoot up and over a small hill/elevation change, or being trapped in the tree line on the fairway's left.

here's a view from behind one of the longer placements back towards the tee:
hole18pin.jpg

you can see that longer approaches into the green (traditionally either one's second or third shot) will be obscured by the tall, mature trees dotting the green's front side. once you've entered the green area, it's a pretty uneventful finish- but i've seen two stroke and greater swings on this hole, and it ensures that every shot up until the end of the round is meaningful.

sorry about the extra wide pics.

oops... i forgot new quarter park in williamsburg- maybe the best of my bunch. roughly 800 feet out of the woods to the open and eventually back into the woods.

Latest posts