• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 Rules Change! NO WEDGIES!

Good or bad?

• YAY

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • BOO

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters
Ok its far fetched but all the big names of the sport were involved early on.

Our baskets are the equivilent of a basketball goal with no backboard and yet all the guys involved decided to not fool proof the design of the catching device but take the cheap way out and write wishy-washy open to interpretation rules.

This would have been an easy fix in the 70s when there were 36 baskets installed, now there are tens of thousands and it had gotten too far out of control to corral.

It's like deciding breeding lions in public parks is a good idea because there are only 4 lions currently in public parks.

Now that there are 10000 lions eating babies every day we decide to maybe regulate those lions.

The wedgie problem mainly arises with some of the super super super floppy putters. i doubt these were around when the rules were created. lids weren't having wedgies.

even today wedgies are so rare and the game would be better served discussing/improving other matters instead of something many players have never even seen happen

One of my best and longest putts ever was on one knee under a tree from about 90 ft wedged right it. I ran to grab it before it fell out. Why change that rule it doesn't happen that often and is really sweet to witness or luckily do yourself.

The wedgie problem mainly arises with some of the super super super floppy putters. i doubt these were around when the rules were created. lids weren't having wedgies.

even today wedgies are so rare and the game would be better served discussing/improving other matters instead of something many players have never even seen happen

Good point!

Bill=ass

This would have been an easy fix in the 70s when there were 36 baskets installed, now there are tens of thousands and it had gotten too far out of control to corral.

Cmon Bill,

In the 70's when we had Mach 1 baskets - the smallest disc used for golf was a World Class 119g (40 mold) - there was no consideration given to wedgies, because they were impossible. It wasn't until the Hooker and Sure Shot, and Kitty Hawk showed up at such a small diameter in the early 80's that the first wedgie ever even occurred.

Your rant against all who "failed" to make a perfect catching device is just that. It solves nothing, and hardly creates an argument for continuing to allow bad shots to count.

I'm amazed at the number of people who (in essence) voted for wedgies being "good". No matter how you write it - is is in - and on is not in. When everyone plays to that ethic then everyone will be playing the "right" way.

How hard are you throwing it for your putts?

i once saw a local pro make 2 wedgies in the same round in a pdga event- boy was i pissed at dga...

imo the changing of the rule just muddies the waters on this one. the real change which needed to be made needed to be made 20+ years ago which would've been requiring basket manufacturers to produce product that didn't allow the damn wedgies... of course that cat is way too far out of the bag for it to matter at this point.

despite the fact that it would reward more bad shots i believe the rule should be that any disc supported above the ground by any part of the target should be good, DROTs and all. simplicity is good.

I had a wedgie putt once from about 25' out. Didn't throw it hard at all, but I used a super soft magnet and the disc was wet on the rim. The disc didn't stick in the basket, it actually went through it and stayed on the inside. It was so weird because it didn't even really slow down and I had to ask the other people on the card if it actually went in through the basket.

That is crazy. I wouldn't have thought that a putt could go through the side like that. I guess there's a lot of really soft putters out there though. There's also a lot of variation between baskets as well.

Understandable, I'm on the "it's too late now" train when it comes to a major overhaul in basket design.

Not at all. If the rest of the country installs as many baskets per person as Iowa, there would be 10-15 times as many baskets as there are now. In other words, more than 90% of baskets have not yet been installed.

Also, baskets don't last forever. With normal replacement, and perhaps upgrades when a major tournament comes to town, we could move to any kind of new target before the sport really matures.

Here here:thmbup:

If you really want to make a change to the basket just grandfather in all the current baskets but change the design for all new baskets to double the vertical rungs on the basket. This will create a smaller area that discs will not fit into and not create a major up-cost to the manufacturer. Also it will still allow the makers to keep their basic design.

This was a shot about 75' out. Luckily I was still able to score it lol.
image.php

Cmon Bill,

In the 70's when we had Mach 1 baskets - the smallest disc used for golf was a World Class 119g (40 mold) - there was no consideration given to wedgies, because they were impossible. It wasn't until the Hooker and Sure Shot, and Kitty Hawk showed up at such a small diameter in the early 80's that the first wedgie ever even occurred.

Your rant against all who "failed" to make a perfect catching device is just that. It solves nothing, and hardly creates an argument for continuing to allow bad shots to count.

I'm amazed at the number of people who (in essence) voted for wedgies being "good". No matter how you write it - is is in - and on is not in. When everyone plays to that ethic then everyone will be playing the "right" way.

You missed the memo Craig, Bill=ass

It has been established. :eek:

The DISCatcher, Mach V, Chainstar, and probably Mach III were all "invented" after wedgies were known to happen. Just sayin'.

If you really want to make a change to the basket just grandfather in all the current baskets but change the design for all new baskets to double the vertical rungs on the basket. This will create a smaller area that discs will not fit into and not create a major up-cost to the manufacturer. Also it will still allow the makers to keep their basic design.

you wouldn't even need to double them- just add one more full bar which adds 2 vertical rungs... cost would be the bar plus 6-7 welds.

If you ask me, the problem could also be in the discs. It seems that softer and softer putters are coming on the market all the time. IMHO it's because of the fact that wedgies didcount. If you look at the pics of the discs that wedge, almost 100% are putters.

Now that wedgies don't count, I can see the number of "super stupid silly willy nilly softer than a babies butt" putters to stop being made.