• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2012 Discraft Ace Race Disc

It feels like a midrange. about the same rim thickness as the Impact, or Glide. Now Discraft considers those "fairway drivers," so technically it would be. Holding it, it feels like a midrange to me. (I would call the stalker a fairway driver).

I would put the Stalker as a Control Driver.. In between Distance and Fairway. Hmm. Sounds like this will be a Fairway for me.. But it is going to vary between Mid and Fairway for most. Either way it feels nice, you say. Sounds good to me.

Technically, you don't get to pick your weights. A lot of TDs will do their best to accomodate you though, but we just get the players packs. We would have to open them all, take out all the discs, and organize them for people to get exactly what they want. The easier path is to just show up to the check-in early and check the stickered weight on the players packs to get a set that matches closer to what you want.

The TD who's directing my third ace race and second with him as TD opens all the discs and lets us pick weights. It's pretty nice.

So did anyone else start practicing with a warship in preparation for the Ace Race? I figure if I can use Westside's warship I'll be able to use Discraft's version...

I would put the Stalker as a Control Driver.. In between Distance and Fairway. Hmm. Sounds like this will be a Fairway for me.. But it is going to vary between Mid and Fairway for most. Either way it feels nice, you say. Sounds good to me.
I would not put the stalker between fairway and distance personally. its slower and has less distance potential than most fairway drivers.

Well they announced today part of the grand prize will be a super color buzzz.

Is it wrong of me to hope for a smaller turn out now so I have a better chance of winning lol?

I would not put the stalker between fairway and distance personally. its slower and has less distance potential than most fairway drivers.

I disagree. It is a Speed 8 and if you use it correctly can get you good distance. At the very least the same distance as a Teebird, Leopard, etc.

Well they announced today part of the grand prize will be a super color buzzz.

Is it wrong of me to hope for a smaller turn out now so I have a better chance of winning lol?

Nothing's wrong with wanting that awesome buzzz lol.

So what happens if no one hits an ace? How do they determine the grand prize winner?

Metal Hits. Last year in my group of 3.. Me and some other guys hit metal once. My disc flew just right of the basket once also. Our group did not contain the winner though :doh:

I disagree. It is a Speed 8 and if you use it correctly can get you good distance. At the very least the same distance as a Teebird, Leopard, etc.

It's got a rim width of 1.6cm, a wide diameter, and a bead. It's clearly a speed 6. One could even argue it's relatively slow for a speed 6. It's not a bad disc, but it's not as long as a Teebird. If your Stalker is going farther for you, it's because the Teebird is too overstable for you.

A Leopard maybe. A TeeBird, not a chance.

It's got a rim width of 1.6cm, a wide diameter, and a bead. It's clearly a speed 6. One could even argue it's relatively slow for a speed 6. It's not a bad disc, but it's not as long as a Teebird. If your Stalker is going farther for you, it's because the Teebird is too overstable for you.

This (the other stuff too).

Disc Golf Center calls it a speed 8, and on Altitude disc golf it is a 10.

the stalker does have a width of 1.6cm, but the tee bird is only 1.7. I would call that pretty much the same speed.

....wait... what does this have to do with the ace race disc?

So what happens if no one hits an ace? How do they determine the grand prize winner?

From Discraft's Ace Race Website:

The player with the most aces after 36 holes is declared the winner. In case of ties, the number of metal hits is used as a tie breaker. If a tie persists, an approach-length closest to the pin contest is then used to determine the event winner. Scoring formats may vary slightly at TD discretion.

The Teebird flies very well for me. In fact the only Fairway Drivers I carry are a River and Teebird(s). The Stalker overlaps with the Teebird too much and the Teebird is better. The Stalker is not a speed 6. Anyways this disc we are getting is going to be a 6 or 7. Slightly slower then the Stalker.

Each TD can determine how the event is scored.
Most will have very few aces. I use a scoring system that rewards Aces, chains and metal. Most points wins!

If your event has very few aces, you set up the course way too long. It's a whole lot more fun to have lots of people acing and the winner to come in with 3+ aces than to have a winner with 1 ace or a winner decided by metal hits.

A new Discraft disc thats inbetween a Buzzz and a Stalker, and one of our local Ace Races at a brand new course. I'm excited!

If your event has very few aces, you set up the course way too long. It's a whole lot more fun to have lots of people acing and the winner to come in with 3+ aces than to have a winner with 1 ace or a winner decided by metal hits.

True! I hope they take to actually set my course up well because if they don't it will be a nightmare.