• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Texas State Championships NT

FPO. Looks like paige and catrina got a good battle going on and he rest of the field isnt too far behind!

I didn't really care, but now I'm voting FPO because **** smigles.

And because I'd rather see a group where the players, regardless of gender, are battling for a win than a second card where the best score to start the round is 12 throws out of first.

I didn't really care, but now I'm voting FPO because **** smigles.

And because I'd rather see a group where the players, regardless of gender, are battling for a win than a second card where the best score to start the round is 12 throws out of first.

Agree

Point of order... ALL OB IS ARTIFICIAL. Whether it is lakes or sidewalks or roads or fences or haybales or rope, it's ALL ARTIFICIAL. Someone is deciding where the OB goes whether they're designing a hole around/near/over water or a road, or if they're taking an open field and carving out OB areas with lengths of rope.

I kinda want to stir the pot, though. It's an aesthetics thing for most folks, but fundamentally, roped OB is the exact same thing as an OB marked by a sidewalk or road or a body of water. It's a design choice and an element of the course that is the same for everyone. It's time to get over the stigma of rope OB. It's been around for a while now, and it's not going away until there is a much bigger influx of cash into course building and design, if ever.

And Chuck,....

JC -- another point of order. I agree with what your point is. By definition all Ob IS artificial. A course designer or TD decided this element would be OB and this wouldn't. Heck even saying "the course boundary is OB" is an artificial element; it wouldn't matter if the course boundary is a multi-lane busy freeway. Personally, I absolutely dislike a hole where there is a little "sliver" of a concrete sidewalk, walking trail, or mini water drainage IN THE MIDDLE of the fairway of a 400-ft hole and that's defined as OB. All I can do is say, "think, TDs and course designers, think!"

However, to fundamentally change a course that plays one way all year long creates a "lessened ability to prep on the tournament course", more like "everyone playing blind" kind of scenario. I'm not from the north Austin area, but had played Old Settlers a few times before I played the Texas States Am event this year. With all of the OB lines marked, no one would argue that it's a different course. And for us weekend warriors we're basically playing it blind. No chance to come three or four weekends earlier to "play" the course, b/c w/o the TD generated artificial markings it's just not the same. That's the "artificiality" we're talking about. I hope the next time Texas States is held I hope the "artificial" OB is at least the same as it was this year, a la the USDGC. No one disagrees that it's the same for everyone... but if it were marked that way all the time, it would still be the same for everyone. And those who would/could elect to prep more would have that opportunity, whether you consider the OB lines artificial or not.

^^ For how long has the course been set up as it is now? A couple of weeks?

FPO, if you want to grow the sport you need to show that both women and men can be successful at it. Getting women signed up for tourneys in our area is like pulling teeth, unless Jessie Westbell shows up, and then there will be a card of women who will play.

JC -- another point of order. I agree with what your point is. By definition all Ob IS artificial. A course designer or TD decided this element would be OB and this wouldn't. Heck even saying "the course boundary is OB" is an artificial element; it wouldn't matter if the course boundary is a multi-lane busy freeway. Personally, I absolutely dislike a hole where there is a little "sliver" of a concrete sidewalk, walking trail, or mini water drainage IN THE MIDDLE of the fairway of a 400-ft hole and that's defined as OB. All I can do is say, "think, TDs and course designers, think!"

However, to fundamentally change a course that plays one way all year long creates a "lessened ability to prep on the tournament course", more like "everyone playing blind" kind of scenario. I'm not from the north Austin area, but had played Old Settlers a few times before I played the Texas States Am event this year. With all of the OB lines marked, no one would argue that it's a different course. And for us weekend warriors we're basically playing it blind. No chance to come three or four weekends earlier to "play" the course, b/c w/o the TD generated artificial markings it's just not the same. That's the "artificiality" we're talking about. I hope the next time Texas States is held I hope the "artificial" OB is at least the same as it was this year, a la the USDGC. No one disagrees that it's the same for everyone... but if it were marked that way all the time, it would still be the same for everyone. And those who would/could elect to prep more would have that opportunity, whether you consider the OB lines artificial or not.

OSP has used those same OBs for years for every event. Last time I played there a couple months ago I could still see some of the faded OB lines(but I knew they were there)

I appreciate Terry's style in his coverage. He is telling you how the players are scoring, but not putting up graphics after each hole. It makes you pay attention to the coverage, and listen to what he's saying.

It reminds me of watching baseball in the 80's and 90's. You had to pay attention to the game to know the score, count, and outs. Now it's all placed on the screen.

I also really enjoy that he is covering the baskets from behind. It gives a different perspective than what we are used to.

Keep up the great work, Terry!

Latest posts