• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Worlds Locations

If there were a Worlds only for MPO and FPO, how or would you change the divisional mix for two other Worlds events to accommodate all other divisions currently offered at Worlds?

If there were a Worlds only for MPO and FPO, how or would you change the divisional mix for two other Worlds events to accommodate all other divisions currently offered at Worlds?

Open Worlds- 2 divisions
Am Worlds- 2 divisions
Age Based Worlds- a bunch of divisions

this would likely make 2 out of the 3 into moneymakers for the hosts as well as decreasing the amount of investment needed to host open/ladies. i do not support the pdga running any of them directly.

A split masters, Womens, Junior, Pro and Am worlds, wow, wouldnt that be tough on the disc sponsors? Is there enough parking at the IDGC yould have to get buses in I bet. In my experience...the PDGA has a good amount of say in how and where things are run. They could easily imbed a team of people to help the host locations run a quality event AND end up training great TD's and course designers/builders in multiple locations. Seems like that would be the kind organic grass roots growth that Brian talked about in Disc Golfer Magazine. Pulling off a Worlds can really bring a group of people together if done right...and start momentum for an even bigger DG scene in that area. Look at Charlotte...Worlds at least was worth a huge growth in courses.

The Hamilton Disc Golf Union www.thehdgu.com is leading an effort to host the 2017 PDGA Am Worlds in the greater Indy area. This would be the 25th anniversary of the 1992 PDGA Am Worlds, held in Indianapolis. Indy now has 30 courses within a 25 mile radius of downtown! We are already scheduled to host the Deaf Disc Golf Association, 2016 National Championships. By building a coalition of talent from the Indy area, taping the best local clubs and TD's and using all of the resources available to create a special event. And by partnering with the Indiana Sports Corporation, we would have a line to the same people and skills that produced the Super Bowl in Indy two years ago. Indianapolis is within a days' drive of two-thirds the population of the US. We ARE the Crossroads of America. The possibilities are endless....

I'd love to travel back to IN for a Am Worlds. You have plenty of depth in courses, are there new courses on the way to challenge Advanced players at that top level?

More people does not make a better experience.

It will make Worlds a true test of the BEST golfers, instead of the ones who got invited and signed up the quickest.

And I don't know anything for sure. Just what I have overheard over the last year.

PDGA wants to take control of their brand and their event.

Nothing wrong with one or two courses. Or only making worlds a 4 day event.

I have thought about this rumor, and the only part of it that I hope is true is separating age protected divisions from Open Men and Open Women. I think the best way to get more of the best players into the tournament is to increase the number of total entrants in each division. The brand doesn't have to be limited to just the best players. More bottom feeders means more money for the best guys and the bottom feeders can play in C and D pool all they want without affecting the top guys. Not to mention better cinderella stories when one of them breaks into the A pool for some odd reason. The best players also need to learn that if they want to play in the big events they need to stop being lazy and get on the ball with registration just like the rest of us. I would hate to loose the awesome atmosphere of the current world's format and I think there is a way to keep it while increasing the competitive brand of the sport.

If you really wanted to spread it out a little more evenly, and still be able to pair divisions with an appropriate group of courses, how about taking biscoe's proposal and moving MPM and FPM in with MPO and FPO. That would alter the above breakdown to 264, 310, 428. Essentially, you could have four pools for the top pro Worlds with 288 players: 2 MPO, 1 MPM, 1 Female.

Adv Worlds could be five pools for 360 players: 4 MA1 and 1 FA1.

The age-based Worlds (excluding MPM and FPM) could be seven pools for 504 players: Two pro pools (MPG in one, and the rest of the pros in another) and five am pools ... there would be some flexibility in how you could group those divisions. A nice thing about seven pools is that you could run the current four-day, six-round format with just five 18-hole courses, with two of the four days requiring only one course to host three rounds. Or, perhaps there is one pool (younger juniors and seniors/legends?) that only play one round per day?

Anyway, spreading out over three tournaments would help accommodate growth and/or open it up to more places that could bid.

Be careful what you ask for.....

If Worlds comes to your hometown, there'll be a lot of pressure to help run it, instead of playing in it. And to do a ton of work in the year preceding it.

If you're good enough to contend for a title, you may savor the home-field advantage. For the other 90%, it's more fun and exotic traveling somewhere to play Worlds, rather than spending a week on the courses you see every day.

What you really want is for Worlds to come to a place, say, 4 hours away. Close enough to be an easy drive, and to occasionally drive to and play or practice the courses. But far enough away that you won't be expected to help.

It's more fun to help than play. Helping lasts all year.

Even longer! Had a great time volunteering all week in Portland. And by great time I mean a week of vacation from work, hundreds of miles driving, and 16 hour days. But the sense of being on a team that accomplished something big is great, relationships built, respect earned, etc.

Even longer! Had a great time volunteering all week in Portland. And by great time I mean a week of vacation from work, hundreds of miles driving, and 16 hour days. But the sense of being on a team that accomplished something big is great, relationships built, respect earned, etc.

Yep, you guys in Portland did a GREAT job, and the 4 days I spent down there watching some great golf were even better than I imagined they would be, and my expectations were pretty high. Much appreciated!

Airy on the gold layout, harbin on the gold layout, and?? idlewild, but that's more greater cincinnati. Still, if worlds came to cincy I'd lose it

Ugh I cringe at the thoughts of a worlds at Harbin regardless of layouts. If the man power and leadership wanted a worlds in Cincinnati it would require it to be greater Cincinnati. Not sure Harbin is any closer to city center than Idlewild. Airy, Idle, Goshen, Bank lick, and hopefully a new AJ or the second airy course that was rumored a few years ago. If not a new course then I guess Harbin.

Perhaps I jumped to a conclusion that anyone excitedly hoping Worlds comes to his town, imagines himself playing, not working. It is of course true that there are plenty of people who would be thrilled to play host in their hometown, too.

Easy for me to say because there's no danger Worlds will ever come to my home town.

So you're the one who won the lottery!

Hey, just buy the land surrounding Stoney Hill and build a complex. That way, it'll be all ours once the circus leaves town.

Is there any chance that you are going to apply again for 2016 Am Worlds?

It'd be great to come home for my 1st taste of a world championship.

There's a chance, but we need to see the bid requirements, assuming they are ever released. The more time goes on, the more likely it would seem there will be major changes, and Am Worlds (or Pro for that matter) may not be the same as we've known it.

Latest posts