• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Being Competitive???

Do you play to win, or do you play to have fun?

• Total voters
I got a teeshirt for christmas from my son that says DISC GOLF Where the weak are killed and eaten! I love to win.....:)

I play in a lot of PDGA tournaments and our local league. Even though I am playing competitively I still chose Play For Fun since I would never continuing playing if I wasn't enjoying it.

And I agree with the previous comment that everyone should play Bowling Green Am Championships if you are able. It is probably the most well put together event I have ever played in. The courses are not world class or anything but they are all pretty decent and you get the opportunity to play with a ton of cool people.

You mean you don't dominate small children and crush their fragile self-esteem? :thmbdown:

No...only when playing Uno games at the house...I do the whole 'in-their-face' and dance and such...Uno is a serious game in our house.

With that being said, some of my best rounds were played when I was pulling my two youngest boys (2 years-old and 9 months old) in a wagon around the course.

In an educational setting as you described, I think what you are saying is applicable. I have been in that situation with friends and newcomers many times. Maybe it's just semantics, but I think it's the distraction of playing with kids/beginners and not having the flow/pace of a regular round that can cause you to not play as well as you can. Even when I am in those situations I still try to throw each disc/shot as well as possible, regardless of score or anything else.

Of course I may feel totally different when I have been playing for 30 years :thmbup: congrats on that, I hope I am still in the game when I am 53.

In 1980 my family moved and I started playing that spring with neighbor kids with frisbees hitting trees around the neighborhood. We had two layouts and played daily. It was later that summer or the following year an actual object course showed up in a local park. A year or two later a course with homemade baskets was installed in a park in the area. We rode our bikes down to the park almost everyday. It was sometime in the mid 80s we pulled our first golf discs out of a creek at the park.

Having actual Golf Discs changed us forever...and we we already hooked. One of those friends I still play with once a year when visiting Minnesota.

Obviously, winning is more fun, but if I lose, I'm ok with it as long as I played well and just lost to a better player. What bugs me is playing crappy. It makes me want to :wall:. My son (19 yr old who's been playing for 3.5 yrs) and I (53 yr old who's been playing for 1 yr) played alot this summer and I don't think he beat me more than 3-4 times all summer. It got to the point where I hoped he would win so he wouldn't get discouraged. Around the end of summer/early fall, he started to get much better control and mine actually slipped a bit, so things evened out and we both had more fun that way. :thmbup:

I know my wife does her darndest to beat me. I am pretty consistant in that I play my rating or within 30 points or so of it almost every round.

So when she does beat me she is throwing well over 800 rated rounds which is pretty good.

I don't like getting beat by her but I know how proud it makes her so I don't cry. When I had to play right handed she was getting me by 8-10 strokes and that got damn old real quick.

I won today at F.C. I only took it by 1 stroke,But winter with a +6 I'm happy.[21 holes,did'nt play 2a 3a or 4a.Ran out of daylight.]:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

I play to have fun, but a lot of my fun comes from getting a good score (for me anyways) and making good shots. If I suck at something, i won't really ever have fun at it.

58% of the people that replied to this poll disagree with you ole DAN E boy! They disagreed with me as well, but they're obviously wrong :hfive:

There are those Type A personalities that don't care if it's a game of UNO, they want to win. And there are people that can compete at sanctioned tournaments, get their player's packs, be content with that, and just enjoy their weekend playing golf. I'm somewhere in between (as I imagine most of us are), winning is important to me, but my experience has been that winning at the expense of having fun just isn't worth it.

When you take winning too seriously, it becomes work. Not fun.

If winning is in the natural flow of things, sure it's more fun. If winning is the only thing, you should get paid.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

I agree with slowroll, but this is a great quote.

I like to win. However, I have been taught from the first day I picked up a disc that the most fun wins in this sport.

I typically laugh at myself when I throw a bad shot. Once in a while, I will get mad at myself, but it doesn't last too long. My lack of a good short-term memory helps to keep every round on the course a fun one. :)

The two poll options are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, I play ultimately for the enjoyment. If you are not having a good time, then get off the course. I do enjoy a little friendly competition from time to time, but if I get to frustrated with my play by missing a putt or something, then what is the point.

Well, winning IS fun.
Most of the regulars on the course are fun to play DG with and most are better than me. So i don't win often.
If I play well, up to my standards, then I have fun - even if I don't win.

Latest posts