• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Area of the U.S. for DG

Best Area in the U.S. for DG

• Total voters
I did not vote for my own region in the poll but I would say that if you are talking about best area climate would need to be considered and I would not vote for a more northern climate. the poll would be different if it asked which region had the best courses. I know some play in cold and snowy weather but Dg is essentially a warm weather sport (same as ball golf)

Well, it's intrinisically played outdoors.

I vote for comfortable weather.

I prefer to avoid life-threatening weather.

Much easier to throw with fewer clothes. (Just don't take that to the extreme).

It is a sort of pick-your-poison issue; you replied to a post denigrating both cold winters & hot summers. Which makes the "Hawaii" post a bit more valid....

Anybody who thinks the disc golf scene in HI is great should look a little further. They have to bust their butts just to put in a temp course now and then. Last I knew, no public courses. Sadly, land values and the powers-that-be have pretty much limited the game to die-hards only. And that's too bad because otherwise its pretty hard to beat pacific islands for nice weather etc.

So, if ideal weather is so important, why no clamor for So Cal? Not enough of those tanned and sculpted folks hang out on this board, the weather's too nice, I guess.

IMHO, the changing nature of the game as the seasons revolve are a big part of the game. For those who haven't played in the snow, you're probably missing more than you can imagine. But I suppose I only play in the snow because it snows here. Back in my golfing days, I'd put the clubs up for months and only watch on TV. Now I can play my sport year round, warm or snowy. Winter golf makes summer golf all that much better, plus there are so many built in excuses for playing bad, you can enjoy the day no matter what happens, score-wise.

No matter where you are, though, I hope everyone gets out to enjoy a round soon.

Joe

have you been discing in the snow? i thought not, STFU!

Yes I have. I am from CT & MA and live in IL now. Read what I said - I am not talking about the die-hard who plays in the extreme heat or miserable cold conditions. And, while you're at it, gain a little maturity.

Anybody who thinks the disc golf scene in HI is great should look a little further. They have to bust their butts just to put in a temp course now and then. Last I knew, no public courses.

You are right, but this poll is not necessarily asking where the best existing courses are, but could be asking the best areas where courses could be.

I chose to address option 2 since option 1 is already beat to death here.

If you had a choice to play in snow or play in Hawaii, which would you choose? Which would the average Joe disc golfer choose?

I think what the average disc golfer would choose is the most valid response to the (ambiguous) question posed by this poll.

Santa Cruz CA. (Central Coast) is tough to beat - 300+ days of weather in the 70's. Mild winds (usually) very few unplayable days - If you're hard core, you might have a chance at playing every day of the year. Low humidity. Just need a few more courses - property is at a premium.

I agree, I don't see how anywhere that is on the shelf for 4-5 months due to snow could qualify as best area in the nation - even if you get out in it and play. I would say TX is pretty good if you don't mind sweating balls in the summer.

just my .02

only played in texas, utah,montana and colorado. all of them had great courses and average ones. utahs problem is they have a group of people who think they are disc golf and no one else matters, sure that is ture everywhere. eventually would like to play courses in every state and different countries.

Anybody who thinks the disc golf scene in HI is great should look a little further. They have to bust their butts just to put in a temp course now and then. Last I knew, no public courses. Sadly, land values and the powers-that-be have pretty much limited the game to die-hards only. And that's too bad because otherwise its pretty hard to beat pacific islands for nice weather etc.

I was kidding a bit about Hawaii. If climate is your major concern, it's got to rank high.

If climate is your major concern, there's more to think about than avoid the snow and sub-freezing temperatures of the north and midwest. Or the summer heat in the south & southwest. Do you want to play in a rainy area, where you must either play in the rain, or avoid playing for long stretches of time? Neither's very appealing. Or in the south or midwest where thunderstorms, sometimes dangerous, always in the afternoon when you're getting off work and ready to play, are an issue? I suspect California has a strong argument in the climate category.

Other than climate, these geographical areas are way too big to generalize. If you live in Miami, is Paw Paw a plus for your region?

How can an area where courses are pulled and/or there is snow on the ground for 4-5 months a year be the best area for DG?

I would have said the same thing, and I have lived everywhere in the US basically over the past twenty years...BUT having played DG in all seasons now there is something to say for winter golf...and that awesome feeling of waiting for the summer to come. same courses, different vibe for all seasons.

4 seasons, and winter playing with our group:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=818xhiUbfVY

So, if ideal weather is so important, why no clamor for So Cal? Not enough of those tanned and sculpted folks hang out on this board, the weather's too nice, I guess.

IMHO, the changing nature of the game as the seasons revolve are a big part of the game. For those who haven't played in the snow, you're probably missing more than you can imagine.
Joe

I voted for CA...and OR

I don't mind missing more frostbite than I can imagine :)

No, unfortunately...but there is a private one in Pine Valley--kind of in the "neighborhood"

Just an FYI, Michigan is not in South #2. I'm guessing that's meant to be Mississippi. MI is Michigan, MS is Mississippi.

Ha! :eek: Glad you caught that! I can't believe I didn't catch that, as I'm very picky about typos and whatnot, and I do know my state abbreviations!

Voted for the motherland. Good old boring IL.

I am going to have to say the midwest area, primarily Midwest 2 where my home state of Iowa is. Big trees, elevation and tons of great courses. There you have all four seasons to disc in, and it truly does change the course in regards to foliage, temp, crowds, scenery. Texas should be counted as itself however. The southwest the weather doesn't change a whole lot and thus not affect play and conditions.

Latest posts