• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Courses of 2011!

I think a big part of the issue is that they are too hard - too tight and punishing for errant drives. So, they get dinged enough by people who do not like that stuff. Of the DGCR top 10, I have played numbers 1 (FB), 2 (FC) & 3 (IW) and only Idlewild is a tight/punishing course......but it is beautiful to begin with and it is so nicely developed and manicured and maintained I think it gets its high marks for that.

Both Renny & Hornet's Nest have really nice and pretty areas on them, but at least 1/2 of each of those courses is either nothing special or actually unattractive.

Another thing that the QC (and that region in general) has going against it is "grade deflation". I promise you that Kilborne, Sugaw, Reedy, Johnson St, Glenn C Hilton, Valley View, Lakes Edge, Wellspring, Boyd Hill, etc (all quite good courses) get average scores since they are indeed the average in that area.....and courses like those (or even worse) in other areas of the country get very good scores since they are the best courses people in those parts have ever played.

Renny and Hornets Nest lose the private course feel points. Navigation is a bit lacking also. They are tough and not all that "pretty." If championship level courses were being rated by tourning pros; they would be in a second tier also; because some of the pros think some holes have unfair greens. They are great courses; but fall in a "tweener range" of value. As pointed out; they are also surrounded by many other good courses; including some private ones; that tend to blend them in to the general area; ratings wise. I think it's recognized that as a whole, the qc area is one of the best in the country. IMHO Nevin is a wonderful course as well.

Me to (13)....well I had to go to 52 to get 13. Not sure that is depressing or if it just points to the fact that I play anything anywhere any time.

If you count just 18 or more holers, I am at 13 of the bottom 50 and 16 of the bottom 60 (over 25%!). I think that what this means is that the real bottom courses do not get a lot of reviews.

It could also be due to te overwhelming number of bad courses in northern Illinois :)

2011 only: 4 of top 10, 15 of top 50. Not bad getting 40% & 30% considering I have only played less than 9% of the courses in the country

All time top 50: 3 of top 10 (1, 2 & 3), 13 of top 50

You should come down to southern IL area and play foundation park (#37 on the list)! There's a lot of nice golf around here.

Just let me know when you want to come down juke.

Fo' sho'!! :hfive:

Likewise, if you're ever up in the area, hit me up!

(I think last time you were up my dad was sick, so it was a definite no-go on that one...I'm sorry I missed ya though. :\)

Fo' sho'!! :hfive:

Likewise, if you're ever up in the area, hit me up!

(I think last time you were up my dad was sick, so it was a definite no-go on that one...I'm sorry I missed ya though. :\)

It's cool, probably head up toward that area sometime in the next couple months. :hfive: I never come up north at the right times.

You should come down to southern IL area and play foundation park (#37 on the list)! There's a lot of nice golf around here.

I'd love to - that course is high on the list of courses I want to play. Eventually I'll make the trip and play there and the St Louis area courses too. Problem for me is that that is nowhere on the way to anywhere I ever go.

Oh heck yes! Iron Hill made #12 for 2011 reviews. If only it weren't for the early ones....

I've been to 6 of them, including the top three.
Interestingy enough, played all six of them of during the last 6 months of 2011.
Should be hitting a few more on that list in 2012. :D

wish courses were rated more on what they are than against each other. ie, high par pro courses, beginner/good time family courses. open courses, wooded tech courses.

Ive only played #40, but this list might help me plan some vacations :D

I agree with giles there, it would be cool to show the pars from the pro tees

Have played 3 of the OR courses, and will get Whistler in May or Oct. Looks like I'll have to take an Oct trip through northern CA/NV/UT/CO, or drive home to MS in the fall and hit about 15 of 'em.

As to the voting, its obvious that some of the population bases {Dallas, Atlanta/Athens, Cincinatti] will be able to garner more reviews. And as for noobs voting 5s, maybe a trusted reviewer top 50 list?