• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coolest thing about DG to you.

It is really the combination of everything, but the one thing that keeps my mind going is the mental puzzle of figuring out how best to play a hole in whatever conditions may exist.

For me the best thing is the time with my 3 boys. I think I would enjoy meeting a few guys my age and playing, but this is an inexpensive way for a family to enjoy each other and the outdoors.

Those moments when I reach a 'flow state' on the course. When I stop thinking and just feel. Like when Luke discovered the force or when Neo understood the matrix. Those moments give me peace.

672.jpg

1. Throwing stuff. Used to teach winter color guard, throwing rifles, flags and Sabres around- but gave that up at the end of this past school year. Throwing plastic has many technique similarities- and I like watching stuff fly.

I think it was Santa Clara Vanguard that threw frisbees as part of their show in 2014.

Watching the discs fly. Especially when you get a massive bomb in the field, or you pure a tight fairway in the woods.

Hey Doug!

1. Throwing stuff. Used to teach winter color guard, throwing rifles, flags and Sabres around- but gave that up at the end of this past school year. Throwing plastic has many technique similarities- and I like watching stuff fly.

2. Hiking. Having a reason to go enjoy the outdoors is nice. Tons of fantastic parks here in Charlotte and nearby. Ive got issues focusing so giving me a goal along the way lets me enjoy my environment more.

3. People. Met some cool people playing. I'm an introvert usually- but running across someone who shares the same interests as me gives me a reason to talk- breaking some of my social awkwardness.

Lots more little stuff- atmosphere at tournaments- designing my own course- and of course, the sound of the chains.

I certainly did not pick up on the introvert part when Gary and I met you and the little man.

I think the simplicity of the sport.

So many of my other passions involve a lot stuff and cost a lot to maintain etc.

DG- A plastic lid and your golden.

Now, nostalgia because when I started playing I was in my teens and life was carefree. Sometimes it brings me back to those days.

I just love throwing stuff far - but yeah, walking, being outside, learning a new and always changing taxonomy of plastic, playing new couses for free wherever I go, these are all as much of a rush.

I like that it is an individual sport, that I can play my style, pick the discs I want to use, play alone or with a group. There is not one way to throw or play.

I like when other people watch my throw and ask what disc I just used.

I like swapping discs with other people on the course, my bag and game are always evolving.

eating

After a long hard round I enjoy going home and eating as much as I want then relaxing as much as i want and feeling good about it .

(1) Disc Golf's equipment is incredible. Both the basket and our Discs are ingenious. I'm still amazed, more than a quarter century later after I first heard a Mach III's incredible and ringing "CHING" sound effect, how it catches a skillfully thrown Disc.

The Discs! Not only is a seemingly endless variety of them available (especially in the last 15 years), but each one has its own unique characteristics and is idiosyncratic to the individual player. My Discs are like my own children to me, and I get to decide during gameplay how and when I'll use them. Their roles change as they age, too.

(2) Our playing area is often incredible too. We don't play back and forth on a boring rectangular surface area that's unchanging. Well designed courses are highly varied, artistic, and make you use your brain to traverse them. They can be crafted anywhere.

(3) The cost to play the sport is minimal, especially when you consider how awesome it is.

Few projectile sports can line up the variables that are all great like we can, and that's why we continue to experience the growth we've had for a few decades running now.

For the sake of the sanctity of the game, I'd like to see more private pay-to-play courses emerge and become successful in tandem with the basic free public courses so that we don't always have to deal with groups of 14 holding liquor bottles in paper bags and throwing wobbly forehands 180' without taking turns...

For me, the coolest thing is being able to throw a plastic disc the length of a football field.

I was an baseball outfielder as a youth, and could run down fly balls, but had a pathetic arm. I remember going to a speed gun at the state fair and hitting 69.

Now I can throw something farther than I ever could, and that is what keeps me going.

I love a good walk in the woods. But, with disc golf, now I have a purpose.

And that's all it is. Ratings, "money," it's all irrelevant. It's just a good goddam time.

Hitting the line you were hoping you could hit, snaking through thick trees on a long shot. A little turn, a little fade, to park a shot that had you sweating. Nothing like it.