• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definition of "Pitch and Putt"

One where any player who has a basic throwing technique down can conceivably hit the 10 m circle from most if not all of the tees.

FWIW, I usually enjoy courses like this. It's like half field work and half playing on the course. They're great for introducing people to the sport, too becasue you don't spend much time looking for discs, but there's enough challenge for people to see what it really takes to get a disc to go 400'. The fact that it will grow into a "park like" course is a pretty big bonus.

Thanks. This is kind of how I feel, too. We want kids to enjoy it, so it can't be a championship level course. I am of the thinking that if there are baskets in the ground, it is a good thing.

I think if you HAVE to plant trees to add challenge, it's automatically a p'n'p.

Good point. I wish we had more trees in place, but in a few years they will be nice.

Pitch and putt, like deuce or die, is typically a derogatory term used to describe a course, by players who fail to either make the pitch, and or the putt. :)

Agreed. I have grown to appreciate our local pitch and putt layout because it truly makes you think about what shot you are going to take, rather than just hucking it. My game is growing as a result.

Alright, here are the distances on my course:

#1: 292 ft.
#2: 382 ft.
#3: 451 ft.
#4: 232 ft.
#5: 282 ft.
#6: 400 ft.
#7: 321 ft.
#8: 403 ft.
#9: 202 ft.

Mostly flat, and we are planting some trees, so in the future there will be more obstacles.

Pitch and putt, or not?

mos def pitch and putt

Alright, here are the distances on my course:

#1: 292 ft.
#2: 382 ft.
#3: 451 ft.
#4: 232 ft.
#5: 282 ft.
#6: 400 ft.
#7: 321 ft.
#8: 403 ft.
#9: 202 ft.

Pitch and putt, or not?
For pro/advanced players perhaps. Not for everybody though with three 400'+ holes and an average of 329'.

Winton Woods in Cincinnati is a good definition of pitch and putt.

Need to ace #s 4, 12, 15 and 16. Aced the Other holes at one time or another over the past 30 yrs. BTW they are going to do a major redesign here at some point. Heard its no longer going to be a p n p when finished. It's the most dangerous course in the area.

I generally fall into the camp of "have your course be what it is, and be proud of it" rather than destroy its essence trying to constantly cater to everyone.

^^This
I think if you HAVE to plant trees to add challenge, it's automatically a p'n'p.

600' unobstructed holes would qualify as well?

mos def pitch and putt

I have a hard time calling a course that has 1/3 of the course cresting 400' a pitch and putt.

More than 1/2 of the course is over 300'. It may not be a very challenging course, but I'm not hanging the PnP tag on it....

Need to ace #s 4, 12, 15 and 16. Aced the Other holes at one time or another over the past 30 yrs. BTW they are going to do a major redesign here at some point. Heard its no longer going to be a p n p when finished. It's the most dangerous course in the area.

4 & 12 are the longest holes and if you hit the chains it'll be a surprise if it sticks. You've hit more than I have there but when I hit #11 all everyone said was...."it's about time". :D

I keep hearing about the redesign, from the sources I've seen seems there's a good chance it'll happen. The only time I play that course is before noon. I've played all 18 in 20 minutes.

I have a hard time calling a course that has 1/3 of the course cresting 400' a pitch and putt.

More than 1/2 of the course is over 300'. It may not be a very challenging course, but I'm not hanging the PnP tag on it....

Honestly, if it does get the pitch and putt label, I am not going to lose any sleep over it. We are on a middle school campus, so we are working with the space we have. I was really just curious, since it is a pretty subjective definition.

In the end, everyone can find their purpose for it. If you have a big arm, use it to work on your short game. If you don't have a big arm, you can use all facets. I am just excited to get it in the ground when the day is through.

Just out of curiosity, will there be shorter tees marked for the middle school students? 400' is pretty frustrating when it's your first time picking up a disc and it takes 4-5 throws to get close enough to miss a few putts.

600' unobstructed holes would qualify as well?

Hmmmmm........

For that, I would say the length is the challenge. You do point out how subjective the term is, though. At what point does the length become a 'challenge'? Differs greatly for different people.

Just out of curiosity, will there be shorter tees marked for the middle school students? 400' is pretty frustrating when it's your first time picking up a disc and it takes 4-5 throws to get close enough to miss a few putts.

We will mark some shorter ones for when the course is used in P.E. We are trying to cater to both the middle school students as well as the surrounding community, so the proper tees will be longer, and we can adjust them as needed during school hours.

Luckily, the two 400+ holes are wide open, so that should make them a little more accessible...

Check out this thread to see the map:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58706

Last edited:
Differs greatly for different people.

Agreed. I think the safest shorthand is to say that tons of par 2 holes qualifies as PnP, but your original statement still has merit.

That said, the course I put in around here is short short short (3800' for 18 holes, skewed longer by the two 400' downhill bombs) but I see all kinds of decent rec players have fits on some rounds.

Ironically, I see this especially when said players enter the round with a disdainful "pitch and putt" mentality about the course, heh heh.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am the pitch and putt King. That's where my username comes from! Easy courses, easy drives, and a whoooooole lot of missed putts.

I think the test will be if the kids enjoy it. It sounds like the main focus of the course is to introduce the kids at the school to disc golf thru availability and P.E. Classes. As long as they can walk out onto a hole after a few rounds and tell you this is hole X and not hole Y, without looking at the teesign then you have a good introductory course for them with some variation. Once they get the hang of playing then they can go on to play other courses. The school could possibly have a field trip to the other local course one day towards the end of the school year so they can understand that the courses can provide some challenges. This is a good way to get future players hooked on the game, don't feel that you have to make it tough enough for the older players. Every year you will be introducing new kids to the game, concentrate on them.

I think we are striking a nice balance. We have one pretty long hole that we will make easier for students, but we want this course for the community, too. For new players, there are about 5 open holes that require a straight, short shot. Overall, it should be fun!

I doubt that the local scene will really seriously dub it a "pitch n' putt" They may knock it as being too boring with the open conditions that are present now (until the plantings grow) and more likely knock it for being a nine holer - but likely not a center-vein pitch and putt due to the additional hole distances.

Sure, big arms, advanced and above players may make the occasional comment that direction, but you may have lost them at (nine holes) to begin with.

As a side note - I generally fall into the camp of "have your course be what it is, and be proud of it" rather than destroy its essence trying to constantly cater to everyone. This is especially true if you are in a saturated area for courses.

Edit: if this is a middle school, and its intended primarily for new school age players... gosh, maybe you do want to tailor it to that group as much as you can. It sounds like it is targeted to this group, so do everything you can to make it perfect for them, and let any other "players" deal with it.

^^ I agree with the last paragraph - maybe during the design you could keep the idea in the back of your head of alternate tee pads that could be 'designated' at at later date. That way the kids have "room to grow" as they progress as a player. (if there's enough room of course!)

Good luck!!

I'll agree with you on that. We are on a middle school campus with little foliage.

We are planting 16 trees this weekend, specifically for the course. They will be a little weak at first, but in a few years they should offer more of a challenge.

End result, we're getting disc golf in more kids' hands, and giving a second course in our town. Even if it isn't the best or most challenging at first, I think it will be a good thing.

In your situation it's probably ok that it's not that hard. A pitch and putt may be better there anyway, if it's main purpose is to get kid's interested. I nearly gave up on disc golf after the first course I ever played at. Just way to long of a course for a compete newbie. Fortunately they talked me into a round at an easier course (what most would call a P&P) and it got me more interested.

Any 18-hole course where pros regularly shoot in the 30s is pitch-and-putt (SSE < 40). Since pros don't miss short, open approach shots, anything rated higher must have some challenge.

Latest posts