• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Meeting

Of course I am biased because I live in Michigan but I do think Flip would be the best place to do it. Everyone who plays disc wants to play Flip City at some point in their life so why not for this trip? It is a perfect location as far as camping and being able to do what we want because of Bill and all of the land. Of course it is going to be a drive for most of the people but any location that we would pick would be a drive for most. If we picked Cincy...why not drive another 5 more hours and experience the best disc golf course in the world? Plus if we went anywhere else we would probably have to stay in hotels which is a waste of money when we can camp for basically free and throw some money at Bill and Tim for being forerunners in disc golf history.

Now this is obviously just hypothetical but if Flip City were in southern Georgia, with all of the same things that make it perfect now, would you still feel the same way?

sometimes 5 more hours on a drive means adding another travel day due to children, pets, sleep schedules, etc. Also, on a round trip, 10 hours extra is another 2 tanks of gas.

I'm right there with you.

I highly doubt that this will turn out to be as big as he hope it will at this point. I really hope this happens though.

Well, it would be the same for me and alot of other people if we were to go down south. Someone is going to have to sacrfice.

Actually I think more to the point the idea was to get together as many DGCR people as possible while still playing an incredible course. Maybe I was wrong on that?

And obviously, lots of people will have to sacrifice so why not try to balance it out among everyone?

I'm definitely in, especially if it's Flip or Idlewild, both are a reasonable drive for me. Hey Dave242 and any other Chicago people, wanna carpool?

I highly doubt that this will turn out to be as big as he hope it will at this point. I really hope this happens though.
A less remote course would guarantee a bigger turn out. Cincinnati is very central, some great DG to be had and if you have the family, plenty of stuff for them to do. I am also in favor of south west PA :)

It would have to be multiple regions, unless one of you yanks don't mind picking me up.

I have played flip city quite a bit and all this talk about Flip is making me CRAZY!!!! I need to play disc golf, go away snow!!!

---also I was able to play the Cincy area (idlewild and Lincoln) and can honestly say if you throw in Ludington (20 minutes north of flip) the disc golf is AWESOME, I would love to see people play LEVITHAN which is just as HARD and Difficult as the hardest course I have played which is IDLEWILD (idlewild is better because it is more established has all signs and tee pads ect..), but for those who have played Idlewild when I say Levithan is just as hard it should give you motivation to try it!!:\

---also if people decide to do this at Flip City, you can fly into Muskegon airport (80$ ticket round trip from Chicago), you could stay at Ludington which has plenty of rooms and camping for anyone.

--I suggest late JULY or early August as the dates.:clap:

I like the idea of taking a week off of work and camping out at a private course with a bunch of DGCR folks, but rural Michigan is an AWFULLY long drive from Georgia, a solid two days I'm guessing, which would put me on the road for 4 days just to get there and back. And I'm not too keen on packing all my camping gear into the belly of an airplane, and then renting a car to drive out to a remote part of a state that I've never visited. It sounds like a great time, but logistically impractical for most of the country.

All this is to say you Midwesterners should go for it as a regional get-together, but if we want to do a "Grand National DGCR Hoedown," we should do it somewhere more accessible to everyone, like in Cincinnati. They have piles of courses in and around town, and a major airport right there in town, if I'm not mistaken. It might be easier to get everyone's wives to give permission to go to Cincinnati before rural Michigan. Also if you want a major-scale national get-together, where you've got hundreds of people all together in one place, I imagine it would be better to gather at a DG hub of courses, rather than all at one course. Think of it in terms of playability. If you've got 300 people in one place to play disc golf, and only one or two courses nearby, and you've got huge waits on the tees at every hole, and then everyone gets irritable, and then in our irritability we stop respecting the course, and we leave trash, etc. I think it would be better for a national meeting to be at a hub of courses rather than at one site.

If Chicago is the closest major airport for Flip, I would suggest making the conference at the four course Lemon Lake complex just SE of Chicago where Pro Worlds will be held in late July. They have a nice air conditioned conference building right by the first tees of the courses. I even have an inside track on getting it reserved, possibly free. Those who want to could make a side trip up to Flip. The courses will be in their best shape for reviews and ratings by mid-May when they are hosting an A-tier.

I do agree that Flip is out of the way for most people. It is just sad because it would be a perfect host to such an event. :(

We might have to organize several smaller meets, There is no way any one location will be alright with everybody. Maybe a north east, north west, south east, south west meet, or something like that. If the dgcr is meeting within 500 miles of where im from ill be there. My vote is for flip, free camping and its around several other world class courses, but I could understand how someone from the south or out west wouldnt want that to be the site chosen. Reguardless of the details we have to do this, I think it would be a great experience for everyone who loves this site. Lets make it happen.

I suggest scheduling a half day work day (or even 2 hours) wherever this (these?) gathering(s) end up at. How cool would that be to show up with a big and pumped up crew and have fun making a positive difference?

You can travel light if all you are going to do is pick up trash and branches, or trim underbrush and fallen/dead stuff.

Flip, Highbridge, Lemon Lake, or Idelwild would all be accessible for me. I do think it would be a good idea for some respresentative from each region to set something up. A true nation wide tourney would best be in St Louis or somewhere centrally located to all people but I highly doubt you would get that many people to fly in for this tourney. It would be quite a drive for many people too though, maybe making it accessible for the majority of people would be best. Cinci is central for anyone from WI to the Northeast, to even into the carolinas and georgia. That would probably get the biggest draw.

Can we really plan this thing for a course other than what is already voted #1 or #2 we are addicts and we love a challenge? I would try no matter what but it would come down to the ability to drive there in under 10 hours.

Are there any major new courses on the horizon?
The reason I ask is because we've all heard of places like Flip, and would love to play there if we haven't already...but Flip doesn't need the advertising, so to speak. If there was somewhere that was planning to open a new, higher level course next year, maybe we should do this around that type of course to help drum up some popularity for the sport in areas where it is obviously growing or trying to grow....just a thought...

So, I would be willing to make a trip but would like to make plans ahead of time.

Obviously we cant please everyone, and if those that cant make it to the selected region want to have a meet up, they could organize a similar event in there area.

Someone should take the reins and pick a place and time and see what the turnout might be.

If you go Regional ...

The northern Delaware courses of Iron Hill, Carousel, and Brandywine would make a nice trifecta, located just off I95 between Baltimore and Philadelphia.

There are other solid courses in this area, too - average+ courses within 40 miles of here include:
  • Carousel Park Marshallton, DE 0.0 Miles 18 DISCatcher Natural
  • White Clay Creek State Park Newark, DE 4.1 Miles 18 Chainstar Concrete
  • Brandywine Creek State Park Wilmington, DE 6.4 Miles 18 Mach 5 Concrete
  • Anson Nixon Park Kennett Square, PA 8.8 Miles 18 Mixed Concrete
  • Lums Pond State Park Kirkwood, DE 8.8 Miles 18 Chainstar Concrete
  • Bellevue State Park Wilmington, DE 9.4 Miles 18 Mach 1 Gravel
  • Iron Hill Newark, DE 10.0 Miles 18 DISCatcher Concrete
  • Sedgley Woods Philadelphia, PA 31.2 Miles 27 Mach 3 Mixed
  • South Vineland Park Vineland, NJ 38.2 Miles 18 DISCatcher Dirt
  • Scarboro Hills Street, MD 38.3 Miles 18 Mach 3 Rubber
  • French Creek State Park Birdsboro, PA 39.5 Miles 18 Mach 3 Rubber

I do agree that Flip is out of the way for most people. It is just sad because it would be a perfect host to such an event. :(

I think there are quite possibly several perfect locations for such an event all across the country. They may not be (angelic chorus plays in the background) Flip City but there are other incredible courses that do exist.

Quite honestly, for an event such as this, I'm much more interested in meeting and playing a few rounds with DGCR members from around the country more so than worrying about the venue being of the highest caliber. If it ended up being at, heaven forbid, a four disc rated course, so be it. Seeing the DGCR camaraderie take form in person would be interesting and entertaining.

I think there are quite possibly several perfect locations for such an event all across the country. They may not be (angelic chorus plays in the background) Flip City but there are other incredible courses that do exist.

Quite honestly, for an event such as this, I'm much more interested in meeting and playing a few rounds with DGCR members from around the country more so than worrying about the venue being of the highest caliber. If it ended up being at, heaven forbid, a four disc rated course, so be it. Seeing the DGCR camaraderie take form in person would be interesting and entertaining.

You're right. I'm thinking this should be more of a party than a tournament. Kind of like a ball golf outing where no one really cares who wins but are there to enjoy the people and the experience.

If this is to split in regions... aiming for a one day drive time, here are some possible regional hubs:

North East: Allentown/Philadelphia, PA

South East: Atlanta, GA

South: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Mid West: Cincinnati, OH

Rocky Mountains: Denver, CO

North West: Portland/Salem, OR

South West: Sacramento, CA​

Other than Canadians, these can be 'get there in a day' locations. I have no idea the caliber of courses, but they all have MANY courses to choose from.

Latest posts