• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rule Nazi Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did almost lose it once when some guy tried to call me for not dropping my disc all the way into the basket and letting go on a 2 inch putt near the end of a 72 hole tourney on a hot day in the summertime when I was in last place.

Hey guys, I agree with Jeff, I didn't mean to call him out, but back him up. That last round was not fun. I hope Jeff will accept my apology if he did not enjoy playing on my card. I stand behind the calls that were made.

Jeff was a great guy and was an excellent sportsman all weekend long. If he was having a problem during the final round on Sunday with a rules nazi (and/or me) he certainly didn't show it. He was calm and cool and polite through everything.

It is good to discuss rules experiences like this. It helps everyone see the rules "in action". As far as the provisional call, everything worked out. Jeff calmly convinced us to use the provisional and we got everything settled while playing out the hole.

In the end, it all worked out and Jeff was the Champion.

And while this has nothing to do with rules nazis I was extra peeeved about all the cigarette butts I picked up all weekend. I would clear a tee of every single butt and the next round they all magically reappeared on the ground.

I appreciate you understanding my frustration and realize that I had no personal ill-will towards you... you were fun to play with and talk with during all three rounds. And I think it was awesome that you were kicking most of the mens butts all weekend, props to you on that.

I think the biggest shock is that this never happens to me anywhere else but always seems to happen here. I always try to pull someone aside (in a lower division) and mention what they are doing when I see something...such as when the young man in our card, I caught him doing a falling putt when everyone else had walked away and I mentioned to him to just keep an eye out for it. And on the misplayed hole, I think my biggest concern was we were holding up the card behind us and as a TD of many events myself I am always mindful of speed of play.

But all in all it was a great weekend :)

Horsman;2351999[B said:
There are a few people here in WI that are known A-Holes and will call people on foot faults that do not occur so that they can get into your head and make you second guess every shot that you take.[/B]

Every time I am forced to play with them I will warn all the people on my card that they do it and just to prepare for it to happen. It happened to me the first time I had to play with them and has happened in every round with them since except for one.

They call foot faults on putting and say that you were not perfectly behind your marker that you performed a falling putt. Ive seen them on multiple occasions call people on foot faults and falling putts for tap ins.

Please PM names in case I am ever up in WI playing and want to speak out before the round as well. What tools.:thmbdown:

If you go back and read everything I said, it wasn't just this weekend, it seems to be every time I play this event. But in the situation with the misplayed lie, by the book you were right, but the point I was trying to make was he had the option of taking a provisional. Especially since I think he would have an valid argument to make with the TD, that someone else in the group said that was his disc...might have not be upheld, but everyone always has the option of provisional throws.

As for the bush issue, first of all the spotter has zero input into the situation, secondly, I explained the issue to the TD on the next hole and he validate my position that since I wasn't standing on, sitting on or holding back the bush with my hands that I was fine with what I did. And yes I could have gotten into the bush from the other side but I had no shot from that side. And that's why I felt the rules were trying to be implemented to penalize me instead of just being upheld.

It's your own responsibility to play your own disc. So if you take someone else's word, then it is still your fault when you play the wrong lie.

I'm just taking a shot in dark based on what I've seen in tournies but if you "back into" that bush you are indeed holding it back, it doesn't have to be done with your hands or feet, it can be your body as well. I'd make the same call if I saw you "back into" a bush. I know it's not an easy thing to do, lining up at an awkward lie but that's the most interesting part of the game of Disc Golf in my opinion. Keeps it fresh. Plus, there is also casual relief. Also, anyone can be a certified official, it's an open book exam... :\

As for the bush issue, first of all the spotter has zero input into the situation, secondly, I explained the issue to the TD on the next hole and he validate my position that since I wasn't standing on, sitting on or holding back the bush with my hands that I was fine with what I did. And yes I could have gotten into the bush from the other side but I had no shot from that side. And that's why I felt the rules were trying to be implemented to penalize me instead of just being upheld.

Holding the bush back with any part of your body is against the rules, not just holding it with your hands. The exact wording of the rule is that you "must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle" and once in a stance, you "may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion".

If every one in the group felt you were using your body, intentionally or not, to push a part of the bush out of its natural position, it's hard to argue convincingly that you weren't. But it sounds like the situation was handled well though, even if you felt you were wronged.

It's your own responsibility to play your own disc. So if you take someone else's word, then it is still your fault when you play the wrong lie.

I'm just taking a shot in dark based on what I've seen in tournies but if you "back into" that bush you are indeed holding it back, it doesn't have to be done with your hands or feet, it can be your body as well. I'd make the same call if I saw you "back into" a bush. I know it's not an easy thing to do, lining up at an awkward lie but that's the most interesting part of the game of Disc Golf in my opinion. Keeps it fresh. Plus, there is also casual relief. Also, anyone can be a certified official, it's an open book exam... :\

When it comes to the bush issue, there was no way to get into the bush without pushing it out in some way. This is another one of those issues with our glorious PDGA rules where its a judgement call. The rules should be clearer on this so "judgement calls" can't be used against a player to gain an advantage. Just for the record the assistant TD did agree with my judgement.

Holding the bush back with any part of your body is against the rules, not just holding it with your hands. The exact wording of the rule is that you "must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle" and once in a stance, you "may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion".

If every one in the group felt you were using your body, intentionally or not, to push a part of the bush out of its natural position, it's hard to argue convincingly that you weren't. But it sounds like the situation was handled well though, even if you felt you were wronged.

Once again a "RULE" should never be so vague to leave it up to a judgement call when it is self refereed.

Once again a "RULE" should never be so vague to leave it up to a judgement call when it is self refereed.

I don't think there's anything vague about it. The least movement possible is no movement at all. It's worded as "least movement" to allow for obstacles such as branches of a tree/bush to be moved slightly to allow access to a lie but then the obstacle must return as close as possible to its original position before a throw is made. This is why there are two separate sentences in the rule. Least movement possible when choosing the stance. No movement once the stance is taken.

I have to say I've never seen anyone (myself included) take a hard line approach to this rule such that if a branch is held a quarter inch off its "natural" position, a violation is called. Typically, it has to be blatant disruption of the bush to trigger someone to make a call. Which is why if 2-3 other cardmates and other witnesses (the spotter) all see it enough to say something, I trust there must have been something to their call.

I don't think there's anything vague about it. The least movement possible is no movement at all. It's worded as "least movement" to allow for obstacles such as branches of a tree/bush to be moved slightly to allow access to a lie but then the obstacle must return as close as possible to its original position before a throw is made. This is why there are two separate sentences in the rule. Least movement possible when choosing the stance. No movement once the stance is taken.

I have to say I've never seen anyone (myself included) take a hard line approach to this rule such that if a branch is held a quarter inch off its "natural" position, a violation is called. Typically, it has to be blatant disruption of the bush to trigger someone to make a call. Which is why if 2-3 other cardmates and other witnesses (the spotter) all see it enough to say something, I trust there must have been something to their call.

Thank you for proving my point for me perfectly... just basically described what would be called a judgement call...

Thank you for proving my point for me perfectly... just basically described what would be called a judgement call...

Okay then. Write a rule to cover obstacles like these that doesn't require a judgment in the moment. It's such a cop out to me to argue that a rule is bad because judgment is involved, when every call of every rule requires a judgment of some sort even the most blatantly clear-cut, black and white ruling possible. And that goes for a self-officiated, peer-officiated, or referee/umpire style officiated game. Changing who makes the call wouldn't change the fact that a judgment has to be made to make a call.

Okay then. Write a rule to cover obstacles like these that doesn't require a judgment in the moment. It's such a cop out to me to argue that a rule is bad because judgment is involved, when every call of every rule requires a judgment of some sort even the most blatantly clear-cut, black and white ruling possible. And that goes for a self-officiated, peer-officiated, or referee/umpire style officiated game. Changing who makes the call wouldn't change the fact that a judgment has to be made to make a call.

I respectfully disagree with you...first of all I don't have the ability to make changes to the rule book. I have already been screwed over by the pdga leadership so I wouldn't get involved with that at all.

Secondly most rules are black and white rules. Foot faults are black or white, holing out etc...

Lastly there is a massive difference between peer/self officiated and referee officiated. In a peer officiated situation like ours the people you are competing against has an incentive to make judgment calls that negatively affect the people they are competing against. And please don't try to argue that everyone in our sport is honorable and would never do anything like that. Most are but we have more then our fair share of people that would do anything to win...plus like Mark Grace said... "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying "

Hey guys, I agree with Jeff, I didn't mean to call him out, but back him up. That last round was not fun. I hope Jeff will accept my apology if he did not enjoy playing on my card. I stand behind the calls that were made.

Jeff was a great guy and was an excellent sportsman all weekend long. If he was having a problem during the final round on Sunday with a rules nazi (and/or me) he certainly didn't show it. He was calm and cool and polite through everything.

It is good to discuss rules experiences like this. It helps everyone see the rules "in action". As far as the provisional call, everything worked out. Jeff calmly convinced us to use the provisional and we got everything settled while playing out the hole.

In the end, it all worked out and Jeff was the Champion.

And while this has nothing to do with rules nazis I was extra peeeved about all the cigarette butts I picked up all weekend. I would clear a tee of every single butt and the next round they all magically reappeared on the ground.

^^^

Ladies and gentlemen....that is what I would call a class act.

In one of my first tournaments, I played a 3 day event with a guy in rec division and for all 3 days I played with him he called me on the following:

-not having my foot ALL THE WAY up to my mini
-throwing out of turn being 2 inches closer to the basket than the other guy (playing speed of play rule)
-I was warned for being too over excited about a putt I made
-on accident saying the wrong score I got on a hole
-talking to the disc when its in the air
-chest bumping my friend who made a long putt to save par (what is this the NFL?)
-The worst one was when I threw a drive OB, I take my disc out of OB, and then I put my mini down (my mistake), and without even giving me a warning first, he stroked my for not putting my mini down first!!!!!!!!!

Just to play that event I took time off school, I took time off work, I took time off from homework and studying, I made tons of arrangements to stay at a family members house, and on top of all that I paid $100 to play that tourney and all he ever cared about was adding strokes to peoples scores!!!!!!!!!!!! Worst tourney experience of my life!!!!!!!!

I caddied for my gf at the RMWDGC (an all women's event here in denver). She was on the top card in the REC division and this chick that was in the lead kept trying to tell my gf that she was breaking rules. Then her bf/caddy kept trying to back her up. I'm pretty sure I was the only person in the whole group (caddy or player) who knew anything about PDGA rules and I just about lost it when she physically tried to stop me from giving my gf a meter of relief from the OB line. She put her hand in front of me and very rudely said "she's already in bounds!"
That was my worst tourny round by far lol

In one of my first tournaments, I played a 3 day event with a guy in rec division and for all 3 days I played with him he called me on the following:

-not having my foot ALL THE WAY up to my mini
-throwing out of turn being 2 inches closer to the basket than the other guy (playing speed of play rule)
-I was warned for being too over excited about a putt I made
-on accident saying the wrong score I got on a hole
-talking to the disc when its in the air
-chest bumping my friend who made a long putt to save par (what is this the NFL?)
-The worst one was when I threw a drive OB, I take my disc out of OB, and then I put my mini down (my mistake), and without even giving me a warning first, he stroked my for not putting my mini down first!!!!!!!!!

Just to play that event I took time off school, I took time off work, I took time off from homework and studying, I made tons of arrangements to stay at a family members house, and on top of all that I paid $100 to play that tourney and all he ever cared about was adding strokes to peoples scores!!!!!!!!!!!! Worst tourney experience of my life!!!!!!!!

Nobody's perfect on the rules, but the 3rd phantom rule call should be a courtesy violation.

That's about the worst---the rules zealot who doesn't know the rules.

This whole thread makes me never want to enter a tournament.

I would do my best to follow the rules to the letter if I did play, but grown men and women arguing inches and semantics to gain a very likely meaningless advantage in a game of disc golf? No thanks.

Honestly, these types of threads are examples of rarities on the golf course. I mean, the theme of the thread is supposed to be people's horror stories from tournament rounds. Hard to read people's stories and not think tournament play is a nightmare, but these are very much the exception in tournament play, not the rule. 99.5% of the time if you are doing your best to follow the rules, you're not going to have any problems on the course.

It's been said in this thread already, but it bears repeating. The best way to counter a player trying to work an advantage by acting like a rules know-it-all is to know the rules yourself, and be confident enough in your knowledge to not be pushed around. Easier said than done, I suppose, especially when a lot of these kinds of situations come in the lower divisions (Rec/Novice) where most players tend to be inexperienced.

IMO, being knowledgeable about the rules is just having another skill in your bag, no different than being able to throw a forehand or an overhand or a turbo putt. Maybe it's not something you're going to pull out more than once every 4-5 rounds, but it's still there in your arsenal when you do encounter a situation where it's your best or only resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts