• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have "thumber" Aces ever happened?

Is that Valley View course in WI? I ask because I live 15 minutes from a course called Valley View. I personally have three tomahawk aces. I've witnessed a thumber ace. When I was in high school I threw a lot of tomahawks. All of mine are 275' or less. Two of mine where nothing but chains. One of them was a skip shot. I still throw tomahawk a decent amount but way less than when I was a teenager. One of my tomahawk aces (I was 16) was at leagues for like $150. I'm not very good at throwing thumbers though, never have been.

I have two thumber aces. One on a 256ft hole over the top of the trees(100ft high) dropped straight in the basket. Second is in a shorty 200ft dog leg right once agin straight down. I've also had a few hit the basket. I've really cut back on thumbers since I have become proficient at forehand.

It would be cool to see a roller ace on video.

I've almost gotten one myself, the course nearest to me (Sawmills Veterans Park) on hole 8 from the red tees has two trees that sort of fork just in front of the basket, can run it between the trees with a tight hyzerflip with a short range disc, but have done thumb rollers with a mid range and there is a small root on the ground in between, had one pop up off the root and graze the chains. Would be hard to imagine getting a longer range backhand roller for an ace, but a thumb or flick roller at course that leans shorter but technical it's totally doable.

When I was a kid I would sit around dreaming of the perfect miniature golf course I would build one day when I became rich. Now I sit around thinking about the disc golf course I would build. One of the holes would be catered specifically to giving people a roller ace option. There would be a flat/slightly downhill hole about 200'-300' with large maples/oaks lining both sides of the fairway with low hanging branches. The clearest line would be a very low shot straight at the basket. However, there would also be a ramp built about 10'-15' in front of the basket (would have to do testing to figure out the appropriate distance). Hopefully, the hole would encourage people to go for the roller ace (and I imagine quite a few would).

I have witnessed 2. First was my doubles partner, got me 100$. Second was a casual round. Buddy threw a terrible backhand at a hole and i said "why didnt you thumber it". So he tried that as a second shot and str8 into the bucket. Pretty funny. Didnt count lol

Got one during the 2013 Ace Race with the Ti Mantis.

Is that Valley View course in WI? I ask because I live 15 minutes from a course called Valley View. I personally have three tomahawk aces. I've witnessed a thumber ace. When I was in high school I threw a lot of tomahawks. All of mine are 275' or less. Two of mine where nothing but chains. One of them was a skip shot. I still throw tomahawk a decent amount but way less than when I was a teenager. One of my tomahawk aces (I was 16) was at leagues for like $150. I'm not very good at throwing thumbers though, never have been.

Yep!

Not an ace, but i had about 150' field ace for birdie throwing tomahawk a champ Valkyrie. Came down almost completely vertical. Only birdie I've gotten on that hole so far :)

I hit one with a thumber in 1998 at George Wilson Park (Mishawaka, IN) with a Banshee on Hole #5 where you tee uphill and the basket is opposite you down the other side of the hill. I wasn't sure if the chains I heard were mine or somebody else's.

My first ace was a regular tomahawk, 1996, Grand Woods Park (Lansing, MI) with a Whippet on Hole #16, threw it like a baseball through the opening in the trees on top. I can't even lift my arm past a right angle with my armpit these days without tightness and soreness, let alone do something like that!

That's the JC Kester one I mentioned earlier. Not a great view of the throw or flight, but you can tell it's a tomahawk or thumber (thumber, having seen some other JC rounds). I suppose an albatross ought to be as good as an ace, even if it was a pretty soft par 5.

That's the JC Kester one I mentioned earlier. Not a great view of the throw or flight, but you can tell it's a tomahawk or thumber (thumber, having seen some other JC rounds). I suppose an albatross ought to be as good as an ace, even if it was a pretty soft par 5.

That video is cool.

I've seen 3 thumber aces (one bounced right in, the other 2 in the air) and 2 roller aces (1 forehand and 1 backhand)

When I was a kid I would sit around dreaming of the perfect miniature golf course I would build one day when I became rich. Now I sit around thinking about the disc golf course I would build. One of the holes would be catered specifically to giving people a roller ace option. There would be a flat/slightly downhill hole about 200'-300' with large maples/oaks lining both sides of the fairway with low hanging branches. The clearest line would be a very low shot straight at the basket. However, there would also be a ramp built about 10'-15' in front of the basket (would have to do testing to figure out the appropriate distance). Hopefully, the hole would encourage people to go for the roller ace (and I imagine quite a few would).

I know of a private course with this exact kind of hole, ramp and everything :)

Flying Armadillo in San Marcos Texas Hole 14

ef18506828cc198c6e88022fea7d603e.jpg