• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Can anybody tell me about this disc? It's a Comet I recently bought. I've been looking for older Comets since I don't like the way the newer Z and X plastic feel and someone offered me this. The plastic is very gummy but doesn't quite feel like the Cryztal Comets I have. Are there other runs of this plastic that might feel the same?

Attachments

• IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 33
Z Comets for a long time were not a regular thing. I think they were finally added to the line-up in 2009. Between the time Z plastic came out in 2001ish to 2009, there were a handful of Z Comet runs. The Ron Russell Z's, the glow Z's like yours (I think those were a run for the Great Lakes Open one year but don't quote me on that) and a short production run that I only ever saw in Red or Yellow that had the old X Comet stamp were the only Z Comets I remember from that time.

There used to be a big event on a ball golf course in Florida called the Players Cup. It was a Major for a few year, always held late in the year in ball golf off-season. Sun King ran it and Discraft was the big sponsor. Some players trashed the resort in one year and the course was pulled. The event died after that. Anyway, in 2008 (might have been the last year for the Players Cup) the special run disc Discraft did for the event was Z Comets. Sun King had them for sale and they sold out quick. Discraft finally made Z Comets a regular thing at that point.

Those early 2008-9 Z Comets were perfect, though. Felt great, perfect dome, nothing about them made you want to run out and search for any of the older runs (other than the RR Z's, those are still the "holy grail" of Comets.) It wasn't until the Z Comet had been out for a couple of years that you started to run into flatter meh Z Comets.

So basically...no, those were a really short run of Comets from 10+ years ago so if you want that identical Comet you are going to have to dig for them. In general, if you just want good Z's you are looking for the ones that still have the patent number in the tooling with a good dome. They are also pretty clear. A few years in the plastic got a bit more opaque and the domes got flatter.

EDIT: DOUBLE POSTED

I found this curious innova mid today. Ive attatched a prifile pic next to a roc. It looks like its maybe glow and the mold says rancho. Any ideas?

Champ glow gator or a champion glow gremlins. The gremlin is a less tall gator. If it feels like a driver is probably a gremlin aka a discmaina GM if it feels like a putter is a gator.

sbrfjn.jpg

Light green Super Puppy 183 in shrink wrap. Inked 183. "Whizbo Style" stamp. No tooling or marks other than nipple on bottom. The shrink wrap is a little bit scuzzy, but does not appear it has affected stamp.

I picked it up at a PIAS about three years ago it they had bought used off the street including many 10+ year old stuff in the buy. Had a few people look at it locally, a couple question that it might be a older reproduction run as opposed to an old original. Anyone know much about these?

.,, I would definitely trade it if it is desired

That Z Comet was from the 2002 DGLO. They vary from quite gummy to sort of X-plastic stiff. That type of Z is pretty rare and I don't know too many others that feel like it.

I'm pretty sure that Super Puppy is from the "original" timeline. I never saw that stamp on a re-production, and I have collected quite a few. Also, I have never seen an over-weight repro. The max for that disc is 175.

Last edited:
2016 St. Jude Prodigy M2

I don't throw Prodigy so I have no idea what this plastic is called. On the rim is written "M2 7G 178"

I can't find anything on a 7G plastic, does this exist?

It's very stiff and somewhat slick. Closest comparison would be Star, but the stiffest Star plastic ever.

Any help is appreciated, I'm trying to sell this disc.

Sounds to me like 750g. Supposedly their "super premium" plastic, I've never thrown it enough to tell though.

Sorry I don't have a picture to show but would like to know what years the Non Whippet X was made. I bought two lighter weight's about 6 years ago and just started using them recently. I don't care for the X mold which I own in star and dx. Just can't seem to find anything out about when they were run or how to buy any just keep finding the X mold which is Factory store only now I believe.

I think any DX circle stamp Whippet from the 90's will be the original Whippet Mold. After that I'm not sure.

Actually I'm not 100% sure about the first part either. I think if you find circle stamped Whippets, they are most likely going to be the old mold.

I think any DX circle stamp Whippet from the 90's will be the original Whippet Mold. After that I'm not sure.

Actually I'm not 100% sure about the first part either. I think if you find circle stamped Whippets, they are most likely going to be the old mold.

The two Non Whippet X molds I bought from Disc Golf Center about 6 years ago they were PFN but not the old circle stamp. Since then I ordered a star whippet but it turned out to be the X mold and my girlfriend bought me a DX whippet X mold not realizing it had a different wing than the whippet.