• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

. . . Brys and Spindler are easily the most conveniently located off I-94. Both of them are 12 basket's with dual tees that require you you to go round twice to play "24." Can't imagine you'll find either of them as good as Willow or Bendik.

Call me if you want to talk about it, and have a good trip. ;)[/QUOTE]

Fabulous, thanks! Much appreciated.

Willow could (likely) be in the middle of a redesign. Changing it from 24 holes to 18. Work has started, but seems stalled. I don't know the timeline, but I would guess winter and spring will be slow work on this course.

If you have the time, Will Bendik is a terrific option. Bogey sums it up well. Spindler and Brys are small city park courses. I don't really play them much, at all.

Also much appreciated, thank you!

Question for Michigan folks: We will be driving to Algonac, MI next summer for a memorial. Bro will be flying in and out of Detroit. Looking for a place we can toss a round between Algonac (on the St. Clair River, north of Lake St. Clair) and the Detroit airport.

Looks like Will Bendik Memorial, Cass Benton Hills, or Rolling Hills/Labyrinth are the most convenient, but I am open to other suggestions. :)

Thanks!

I would choose Cass or Rolling Hills over Brys or Spindler. There is a fairly steep park entry fee for Rolling Hills.

I forgot you mentioned Cass.

Splendid variety with moderate to major elevation in play on about 6-7 holes. Very solid disc golf all around. I gave it a 3.5, and if not for age/neglect, it'd be a 4.0 for sure. I play there often.

Willow, Cass, and Bendik each and about 20 miles to a drive from the DTW to Algonac.
I'd recommend Cass.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Would skeeters be bad by mid-June?

I don't know about the courses in that area but I do know bout skeeters in Michigan. Plan on them being bad EVERYWHERE that time of year. Some spots are bad and some have hardly any skeeters at all. Like everywhere else that suffers from skeeters weather plays a huge roll. More heat and rain and more skeeters. We have courses here that one day they'll be horrendous and the next nothing at all and then there are courses that are so bad you'll even see skeeters when there is still snow on the ground. I am not making that up.

I would choose Cass or Rolling Hills over Brys or Spindler. There is a fairly steep park entry fee for Rolling Hills.

Going from Algonoc to Metro, man Willow is 100% on the way and very close to the airport. Cass would be about 1 hour total drive (30 min each way) there and back out of his way, same with Rolling Hills.

Willow can also be perfectly fine and have very little to almost zero bugs right in the middle of summer. It really depends on the previous 72 hours. If it's rained a lot, they hatch. If it doesn't, it will be perfectly fine. I play this course pretty often, I'm only 20 minutes away.

Cass is the busiest course in the entire state of Michigan. So keep that in mind as well. What time do you plan on coming through? In June, it will be very crowded anytime past noon on a weekend, and past 4pm on a weekday. And I mean VERY crowded. Big groups, beer, dogs, you name it. Sometimes that can be fun, so depends. Also the traffic getting up there north of 94 can be AWFUL depending upon time of day. Expect really bad traffic 3:30 - 6pm.

I'd say check the weather, perhaps even post here and we can give you an update. If it looks good, I'd go to Willow, it's right on your way, it's a great course. If you're not going there I'd actually steer you to Lakeshore in Ypsilanti. 2 courses, free to play, much closer to the airport than the other you mentioned and less traffic bs to deal with, it never floods and doesn't have a bug problem (especially ponds side, the other woods course can sometimes have bugs).

Going from Algonoc to Metro, man Willow is 100% on the way and very close to the airport. Cass would be about 1 hour total drive (30 min each way) there and back out of his way, same with Rolling Hills.

Willow can also be perfectly fine and have very little to almost zero bugs right in the middle of summer. It really depends on the previous 72 hours. If it's rained a lot, they hatch. If it doesn't, it will be perfectly fine. I play this course pretty often, I'm only 20 minutes away.

Cass is the busiest course in the entire state of Michigan. So keep that in mind as well. What time do you plan on coming through? In June, it will be very crowded anytime past noon on a weekend, and past 4pm on a weekday. And I mean VERY crowded. Big groups, beer, dogs, you name it. Sometimes that can be fun, so depends. Also the traffic getting up there north of 94 can be AWFUL depending upon time of day. Expect really bad traffic 3:30 - 6pm.

I'd say check the weather, perhaps even post here and we can give you an update. If it looks good, I'd go to Willow, it's right on your way, it's a great course. If you're not going there I'd actually steer you to Lakeshore in Ypsilanti. 2 courses, free to play, much closer to the airport than the other you mentioned and less traffic bs to deal with, it never floods and doesn't have a bug problem (especially ponds side, the other woods course can sometimes have bugs).

Unless Lakeshore has started to allow dogs on the course, it's probably a no-go for Monocacy and Red Dog

Thanks! Rolling Hills and Labyrinth are on my list, whether I play them with my brother or not. I had hoped to play them last trip, but spousal unit breaking her leg changed those plans. :(

Willow, Cass, and Bendik each and about 20 miles to a drive from the DTW to Algonac.
I'd recommend Cass.

Also thanks! Looks like a course-rich area and I wish I had a few days to dawdle, but I also know we will be ready to get home at the end of a 3-week trip.

I don't know about the courses in that area but I do know bout skeeters in Michigan. Plan on them being bad EVERYWHERE that time of year.

Noted. Industrial-strength DEET plus herbal spray and keep it moving.

. . . and then there are courses that are so bad you'll even see skeeters when there is still snow on the ground. I am not making that up.

:eek:

We will definitely keep an eye on the weather, thanks for the tip!

What time do you plan on coming through? In June, it will be very crowded anytime past noon on a weekend, and past 4pm on a weekday. And I mean VERY crowded. Big groups, beer, dogs, you name it. Sometimes that can be fun, so depends. Also the traffic getting up there north of 94 can be AWFUL depending upon time of day. Expect really bad traffic 3:30 - 6pm.

Schedule is loose at this point, but looks like it might be a weekend afternoon. Probably good for traffic and less good for course congestion. Appreciate the offer of local weather/skeeter update, too!

Unless Lakeshore has started to allow dogs on the course, it's probably a no-go for Monocacy and Red Dog

I should have mentioned the dog factor. Voges knows. :thmbup:

Monocacy you should definitely swing up and check out Mill Creek. About an hour and 15 minutes from DTW. Worth the drive and usually zero ticks and zero skeeters :)

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Mill_Creek

Mill Creek looks like it would be a blast, and I love "backyard" courses. Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately the course is listed as "no pets" and I will have Red Dog with me.

What - no BRATS recommendations?

Terry Calhoun's new 18 hole Red Course is a really cool warmup! And then you've got the 9 hole White and Blue layouts providing the next couple of levels of challenge. Very doggo friendly, as well, as long as your own pooch is happy to meet his. :) Plus Terry is pretty awesome to hang out and chat with.

30 mins from the airport, due west.

What - no BRATS recommendations?

Terry Calhoun's new 18 hole Red Course is a really cool warmup! And then you've got the 9 hole White and Blue layouts providing the next couple of levels of challenge. Very doggo friendly, as well, as long as your own pooch is happy to meet his. :) Plus Terry is pretty awesome to hang out and chat with.

30 mins from the airport, due west.

I think Terry has shut down 9 of the holes at BRATS. That is only by word of mouth, though. I did not get out there last summer. It is not a bad private track and any chance to sit and chew the fat with a World Champ and a multi colorful character, like Terry, is indeed a draw. :thmbup:

I think Terry has shut down 9 of the holes at BRATS. That is only by word of mouth, though. I did not get out there last summer. It is not a bad private track and any chance to sit and chew the fat with a World Champ and a multi colorful character, like Terry, is indeed a draw. :thmbup:
Interesting. I wonder which 9? I was scanning the FB page and didn't see anything on that but very curious. I hope it's the white layout. Lol. Though I would totally understand him not wanting to keep the blue layout up and running.

An update on what was the Artprize course. See screen grab from Facebook below.

This will be another exciting and unique addition to Marquette area disc golf!

attachment.php

Another update here. It appears that Hole 6 is done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkceFVSuxq8

:D

Thanks! Rolling Hills and Labyrinth are on my list, whether I play them with my brother or not. I had hoped to play them last trip, but spousal unit breaking her leg changed those plans. :(

Also thanks! Looks like a course-rich area and I wish I had a few days to dawdle, but I also know we will be ready to get home at the end of a 3-week trip.

Noted. Industrial-strength DEET plus herbal spray and keep it moving.

:eek:

We will definitely keep an eye on the weather, thanks for the tip!

Schedule is loose at this point, but looks like it might be a weekend afternoon. Probably good for traffic and less good for course congestion. Appreciate the offer of local weather/skeeter update, too!

I should have mentioned the dog factor. Voges knows. :thmbup:

Cass Benton is a good choice closer to the airport but I'd drive just a little farther to check out the stellar Kensington Blue/Green courses. Can't go wrong with Hudson or Independence but those are a little farther. As for the north side of Detroit, I was particularly charmed with River Bends (gave it a review too!). River Bends has some ho-hum holes but there are a handful of absolutely beautiful shots in a very peaceful park.

Cass Benton is a good choice closer to the airport but I'd drive just a little farther to check out the stellar Kensington Blue/Green courses. Can't go wrong with Hudson or Independence but those are a little farther. As for the north side of Detroit, I was particularly charmed with River Bends (gave it a review too!). River Bends has some ho-hum holes but there are a handful of absolutely beautiful shots in a very peaceful park.

Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated!

I would love to play Cass Benton and/or Kensington Blue/Green if we can fit it into the itinerary. River Bends looks like it would combine nicely with those courses.

Is Kensington Toboggan likely to be playable in mid-June? I would make time for that, schedule be danged. :D

Thanks again!

I enjoyed the Hudson Mills courses last time I was in the area. Independence Lakes also looks fun, but sadly does not allow dogs. :|

Thank you for the suggestions, much appreciated!

I would love to play Cass Benton and/or Kensington Blue/Green if we can fit it into the itinerary. River Bends looks like it would combine nicely with those courses.

Is Kensington Toboggan likely to be playable in mid-June? I would make time for that, schedule be danged. :D

Thanks again!

I enjoyed the Hudson Mills courses last time I was in the area. Independence Lakes also looks fun, but sadly does not allow dogs. :|

June 9-11 is USDGC (US Ams) at Toboggan. Generally, that is the opening of the summer season for the course. If you are in, after the 12th, it should be open.

June 9-11 is USDGC (US Ams) at Toboggan. Generally, that is the opening of the summer season for the course. If you are in, after the 12th, it should be open.

Fabulous, we hope to be there the following week. Thank you! :thmbup: