• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, the lift is less understable than the insanity. I'd probably put it at 9/5/-1/2.

My buddy has one that he gets a lot more turn out of from about the same distance throw, so i could just have a beefy one.

Random thoughts:

I have a beefy N Insanity and 2 normal (C)N insanities, and a mid 60's plasma. And a CN Lift, 174 I think.

Beefier insanity is due to PLH. My cosmic and neutron fly the same.

Insanities are flat. Lifts have some dome. Insanities are great for hyzer Flip forehands.

My Lift has more turn and more fade than my stable insanity, same turn more fade than my regular insanities.

My Lift is not as stable as any of my Kasta Lots' which I feel are a true 9/6/-1/2.

My stable ins: 9/4/-1.5/1.5
Reg ins 9/4/-2/-1.5
Lift 9/5/-2/2

Insanities are great in the woods, Lift needs more room to work. Unless your hyper flipping it, which is where it excels IMO. But for those open fairways shots I'll usually reach for something with more control.

I always bag an Insanity, I only bag the Lift for specific courses where I need a curved S shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Howdy y'all! Looking for some help.

I'm a long-time MVP / Axiom fan who has been living off of my stash for the last few years. I've been out of the loop when it comes to recent developments in their lineup as well as online retailers. Some slots in my bag have been getting pretty thin recently and I have some travel coming up during which I was planning on playing a lot, so this finally motivated me to look for backups.

From what I'm seeing, Inspires and Motions are very hard to find. Are either or both of these models just not made anymore? It seems like Craves are still in stock some places though again aren't as easy to find as I would have thought.

With that in mind, I was considering picking up some Relays and Fireballs, which are easier to come by. Any thoughts on how the Relay compares to the Inspire for someone who throws in the 350'-ish range? I'm expecting them to be a bit slower but an easy enough adaptation. I'm really just looking for a workable stable / understable fairway that won't get away from me.

Similarly, thoughts on the Fireball in comparison to the Motion? The only Motion I have left is a quite-beat Einstein Neutron that is quite workable but no longer a beefcake. I'm expecting the Fireball to have all the HSS I could ever ask for with perhaps a slightly lesser / later fade, which would be great. Does that sound accurate?

Please help this old man who is behind the disc golf times fill his long-stagnant slots in his bag! Much obliged.

Relay, Fireball, Octane, Reactor, Insanity were just restocked to retailers. Almost everything else has been out of stock for quite a while. Craves were in the previous restock so some stores still have some left. They claim to be restocking a ton within the next month or less.

Inspires are out of production for good. The Motion is still technically in production but I'm not sure if we'll see them anytime soon since it's one of the lowest sellers for them.

I've always felt that the Relay was quite a bit more understable than the Inspire. At 350 power, flat, the Relay typically dumps over on me. Now, a hyzer flip into an understable bending flight is where it's at for me for the Relay. Or flip up flat on a nice 280-300 tunnel shot.

Thanks for the rundown.

I'm definitely interested in the Relay for those such finesse shots: uphill tunnel shots, fairway drives from less-than-ideal circumstances, that sort of thing. I may just pick up one to see if it fits the bill and take it from there. I am sorry to hear Inspires are OOP; it's a great disc. I wonder if that slot just isn't as appealing to MVP's core crowd. Kind of reminds me how the Amp has always felt a little marginalized.

I've heard lots of good things about the Fireball so I may just try a few to see if it more or less fulfills the role of a Motion: where I've most noticed the wear on my present one is for hard forehands and the like when I really need to lay into it.

I've heard lots of good things about the Fireball so I may just try a few to see if it more or less fulfills the role of a Motion: where I've most noticed the wear on my present one is for hard forehands and the like when I really need to lay into it.
fireball is a good replacement for the motion. i would say the fireball is a tick slower. if your getting a neutron, it will beat in pretty much the same. protons remain beefcakes for a very long time (i'm not sure mine has even changed). i don't have a plasma fireball, but my plasma motions are very stable.

Thanks for the rundown.

I'm definitely interested in the Relay for those such finesse shots: uphill tunnel shots, fairway drives from less-than-ideal circumstances, that sort of thing. I may just pick up one to see if it fits the bill and take it from there. I am sorry to hear Inspires are OOP; it's a great disc. I wonder if that slot just isn't as appealing to MVP's core crowd. Kind of reminds me how the Amp has always felt a little marginalized.

At 350' my months old Cosmic Neutron Relay has S curve. New it didn't turn at all.

If conventional wisdom holds true, proton and standard neutron discs of the same mold usually fly pretty similar. It's when you get into fission, plasma,and electron that things start to get really noticable. Even the cosmic neutron discs are seemingly flying different.

Cosmic neutron photon, 167g on the left, neutron photon, 168g on the right.
Haven't thrown the CN yet, but I bet it's going to fly a bit different. Maybe "a touch" more wind resistance...

Attachments

• cn_photon_n_photon.jpg
    cn_photon_n_photon.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 43
That disc on the left will fly like a Firebird.

This is the same Photon next to a Thunderbird (Joe Rovere team CL).
I'd expect it to fly like a longer TB, that would be excellent for longer forehand hyzer shots for me. I've got five of these CN's in weights between 173 and 162 and they all look pretty much the same, at least considering the PLH.

Attachments

• cn_photon_jr_cl_tb.jpg
    cn_photon_jr_cl_tb.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 26
Looking for advice on a distance FH driver from MVP/Axiom. There's two I'm looking to try, but only one is in stock with any choices (the Photon is in stock with some choices, the other being the Defy, which there are almost none anywhere with little to no choices). But I was just reading on here that MVP/Axiom has a ton of molds coming back into stock in the next month or so? So I can wait if need be.

I'm looking for 1-2 max distance, but with control, FH drivers, but also work well for BH. I already have 2-3 discs that I would consider for BH distance, but don't work as well for FH. And after doing some research, it looks like the Photon and Defy definitely fit the bill in a lot of ways. Flight numbers wise, feel, disc shape, and especially how thin and flat top they are.

I already have a Prodigy 400 D3Max for all out max distance on a wide fw, as well as a few other discs for long BH drives. So this disc is going to be more for FH.

Of all the discs I've seen in my local store a few years ago, the MVP/Axioms were usually the thinnest overall and the flattest tops! Which I LOVE in general and flat top discs are always my best FH discs. I don't know what it is about dome, but it just messes with my mind when I look at it and feel it in my hand. Doesn't feel confident to me. So that is a huge part of this decision. Especially when it comes to FH discs. I literally only throw like 3-4 of all my discs FH, and those 3-4 discs are the flattest top discs I have, haha.

I've also read here and there on these forums that Max weight discs are better for control and usually more stable than lighter weights in the same mold? Then the 168-171 range is the bomber range and usually the best weight for max distance of a mold. And anything lighter is usually more understable and flippy.

So for the Photon, what weight and plastic do you guys find the best for what I described above? And what Photon plastics are the flattest top?

And same for the Defy?

In general I know the plastics go like this:
- Electron is like their base line and is usual more understable compared to the other plastics

- Fission is stable to understable

- Neutron is stable to slightly o/s and in the middle

- Proton is like champ/c-line and the most o/s

I've had 1 Proton plastic Axiom disc and 3 Neutrons, and the Neutron has been my favorite so far. Kind of slick, but grippy. Really durable and not too o/s, but not understable. The Proton was pretty beefy and a lot like stiff o/s C-line or Champ. But it felt incredible in the hand just like the Neutron plastic. So I'm down for whatever if you guys think one plastic will be better for FH drives over the other.

So what do you guys suggest? Max distance, but with control, flat topped FH driver,

So what do you guys suggest? Max distance, but with control, flat topped FH driver,

I'd check out a Mayhem. It's about speed 13, feels great in the hand, and is us enough to bomb but has a finish. I feel like it would be similar to your D3 in stability, but I haven't thrown one in years. If you're looking for distance force over/flex, I'd check out the Panic or Octane, but if you're hyzer flipping for distance, check out a Mayhem.

Looking for advice on a distance FH driver from MVP/Axiom. There's two I'm looking to try, but only one is in stock with any choices (the Photon is in stock with some choices, the other being the Defy, which there are almost none anywhere with little to no choices). But I was just reading on here that MVP/Axiom has a ton of molds coming back into stock in the next month or so? So I can wait if need be.

I'm looking for 1-2 max distance, but with control, FH drivers, but also work well for BH. I already have 2-3 discs that I would consider for BH distance, but don't work as well for FH. And after doing some research, it looks like the Photon and Defy definitely fit the bill in a lot of ways. Flight numbers wise, feel, disc shape, and especially how thin and flat top they are.

I already have a Prodigy 400 D3Max for all out max distance on a wide fw, as well as a few other discs for long BH drives. So this disc is going to be more for FH.

Of all the discs I've seen in my local store a few years ago, the MVP/Axioms were usually the thinnest overall and the flattest tops! Which I LOVE in general and flat top discs are always my best FH discs. I don't know what it is about dome, but it just messes with my mind when I look at it and feel it in my hand. Doesn't feel confident to me. So that is a huge part of this decision. Especially when it comes to FH discs. I literally only throw like 3-4 of all my discs FH, and those 3-4 discs are the flattest top discs I have, haha.

I've also read here and there on these forums that Max weight discs are better for control and usually more stable than lighter weights in the same mold? Then the 168-171 range is the bomber range and usually the best weight for max distance of a mold. And anything lighter is usually more understable and flippy.

So for the Photon, what weight and plastic do you guys find the best for what I described above? And what Photon plastics are the flattest top?

And same for the Defy?

In general I know the plastics go like this:
- Electron is like their base line and is usual more understable compared to the other plastics

- Fission is stable to understable

- Neutron is stable to slightly o/s and in the middle

- Proton is like champ/c-line and the most o/s

I've had 1 Proton plastic Axiom disc and 3 Neutrons, and the Neutron has been my favorite so far. Kind of slick, but grippy. Really durable and not too o/s, but not understable. The Proton was pretty beefy and a lot like stiff o/s C-line or Champ. But it felt incredible in the hand just like the Neutron plastic. So I'm down for whatever if you guys think one plastic will be better for FH drives over the other.

Streamline Trace is worth consideration. Get Proton if you want more stability.

I haven't handled a defy... but mayhem is pretty cool I like the shot shape but it's out of my league, nice flex, nice fade. Problem with the Mayhem and Octane is they are a domey disc..

The Photon also can come out Domey.. I have a fission with dome and one without both 145g haha.. "The secret weapon" is the flat 143 white fission. Backhand bomber, little touchy though.. In heavier weights they get pretty beefy. The plasma I had was flat and extra beefy. I liked them but didn't fully explore the mold, figured out the Tesla was more my speed class. At 300' ish :) or less.. Both my fission tesla's are domey. Blah blahaha

Photon is closer to what you want for flatness I think, but the Mayhem is a cool disc.

I personally love my mayhem, and it's easiest the best FH driver I've thrown. I have a plasma one. It's got a little dome and man that thing bombs.

Also got to play a few rounds with my new fission wave this weekend. Course had a few long holes, but wasn't real open, but got a few good Rios with it. Man it's FLIPPY! even at 300' of power it was drifting right and not coming back. I suspect it'll be an absolute bomber out in the open though!

What MVP/Axiom driver, will land close to 400' under a 30' ceiling, after a slight hyzer flip, with a glide right, and land flat with little fade? I've thrown a Relativity before I knew anything about form. I've thrown a Teleport for a few weeks and the one I had wouldn't turn much at all. I might need to find another Relativity. I have a Trace and that requires some anny, and none of the holes have space left of the tee.

Last edited:
What MVP/Axiom driver, will land close to 400' under a 30' ceiling, after a slight hyzer flip, with a glide right, and land flat with little fade? I've thrown a Relativity before I knew anything about form. I've thrown a Teleport for a few weeks and the one I had wouldn't turn much at all. I might need to find another Relativity. I have a Trace and that requires some anny, and none of the holes have space left of the tee.

Neutron Wave. Preferably a light one.

Not when I throw it, of course. But that's how it flies.

I'll bite. How does it fly when you throw?

More in the "topping out at 300' range" for starters. :|

But people who throw more in the 350-400' range say the N Wave flies like a beat Pro Wraith. Hyzer-flip to straight for days with very little fade for a distance driver.

But it takes finesse, not brute strength. Does that help?

In other news, I've been testing a 169 Neutron Reactor to replace the EMac Truth in my stable mid slot. So far I'm digging the Reactor. Shorter than the Truth, which is fast for a midrange, but about the same distance as my other mid, the Star Wombat3. So pretty standard midrange distance.

What I like about the Reactor is its versatility and intuitive-ness. Versatility: straight to fade, turn and fade, or turn-to-pan, backhand or sidearm. Intuitive-ness: It just flies like I expect it to, or pretty darn close to it.

So, so far so good. :thmbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts