• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nearly nothing bothers me more than...

I guess its considered "good ettiquite" to wait for someone to hole out, but I know its not encouraged or anything. I played in USDGC this year and I know we had 3 groups PLAYING on hole 5. We were teeing, there was a group down by the layup for throwing across the lake, and then people putting out.I can think of numerous holes that once they people are far enough out, the spotters give you the green flag to throw up the fairway.

Even with noobie arms in tow, on any hole under 300', you should wait until the group in front of you is finished. Its not just a safety concern, but a matter of etiquette. Golf should never be rushed.

On longer holes, act accordingly.

Does it really bother you when you're playing to hear other discs hit a tree?? Man, you guys have rabbit ears or something....I could care less about other discs hitting trees...I just don't want to get hit by a disc...that being said...

This is to the OP...On such a short hole...you should've waited based on ettiquite...but then again there have been times when one group ahead of us finishes the hole but they walk like five to ten paces from the basket and watch the guys on the tee pad throw...then I say it's fair game...you get hit then it's your own fault for standing by the basket and watching..besides that....on short holes just wait and chill...even when you think there is no chance to hit the guys in front of you...

it's the same with ball golf...how many times of you heard stories about guys being 240+ yards out from the green...the guy takes a 5 wood or some other club just to lay up and pures one right on the green only to miss people by a few feet...not cool!! I've had it done to me numerous times and believe me....it's not fun getting hit with a golf ball...not just imagine getting smashed with a driver coming down on a hyzer line....ouch

Throwing and then saying "fore" really does not cut it.
You're 100% right. Another guy I used to play with at that same course did this, and nearly beaned someone who wasn't even discing. The really stupid thing is, they were about 150' away, and coaching a middle school football practice, so there were kids around that could have gotten hit too.

I don't play with that guy anymore.

This is to the OP...On such a short hole...you should've waited based on ettiquite...
Please note that I did wait, and that it was my companions who threw with no input from me to do so. But I hear you, too, and as I pointed out in my OP, the guy did have a point. It was just the over-the-top anger, and then immediately engaging in the behavior he was so mad at us about, that just made the whole situation ridiculous.

Someone else mentioned that he may have asked to throw before throwing at the kids on the following hole. Not a peep was uttered from him, save for the part where he raised his hands above his head, as if to say "what the hell are you doing on my hole?"

Classy.

Brilliant! I always love walking up to a 1000' hole to see someone sitting on the bench waiting for the group in front of them to putt out before they tee off.

Lemon Lake....Silver # 8 I think....lol...thousand feet usually into that southish head wind. Yup just sitting and chilling waiting for the group to clear the green a fifth of a mile off the tee.

Gotta be careful. My buddy Benny always seems to mess up the course flow on # 11 at Vallarta_Ast. It's not that he doesn't wait for the group ahead to clear the green. ( it's about 330 in the long) it's that # 18 parralells #11 on the right side and....he throws right hand flicks, which sometimes don't hold their line and can end up flying to the right...into the groups playing up 18.

lol....we tend to back it up on 11, waiting for 18 to clear. getting hit is no joke, though.

I totally sympathize with the OP. I'd do the same thing in similar situations.

I will say that I have witnessed some freakishly long hits though on a ball golf course which is counter to the OP. Once a buddy of mine who averaged a respectable 270 off the tee. With a good tail wind and his best swing ever, he cranks out a drive that hit just short of the green and rolled passed it on a 340 yard hole! And once in a similar situation I caught the ball flush with my 5 wood and sailed it well over 225 yards, over the green with a foursome putting out. Needless to say they were quite pissed off. In both cases "FORE" was yelled out and no one was hit.

I am confused. The OP says this happened on the 9th and last hole, but the "douche in question" threw another hole after the last hole? I get playing a "local" hole or whatever but in this story I would think a "local" hole would be a "last hole".

By "next hole," I mean to say the local hole, as you have correctly guessed. Not everyone plays the "tenth" hole, so I didn't refer to it as the final hole. :)

By "next hole," I mean to say the local hole, as you have correctly guessed. Not everyone plays the "tenth" hole, so I didn't refer to it as the final hole. :)

You did not refer to it as the final hole but you did refer to it as the "last hole".
In my world last and final, kind of have close to the same meaning.

This story is lame and weak. 200' Throwers tossing into single guy on 270' hole... No big deal. After being disturbed on the last hole, putting for the round of his life, the single guy throws into "High School Kids" at the "final" basket...lynch him. Maybe the single thought he could only throw 220' on the 290' hole. But I can see why he is the bad guy in this story.

Last edited:
Yes, his bitchy attitude was unnecessary, and the weird reaction on the next hole was even more unnecessary.

I agree that a hole that short should be waited out before teeing off. I, like others on this site, will go ahead and assume that they have no idea what they are doing, and will continue to throw on us. Just because YOU may know their length, the rest of the course doesn't, and I would say EVERYBODY I have golfed with gets ticked off when somebody else tees off before they finish.

Whatever it is, the branches, other noises, whatever, it's not right to be playing the hole while somebody else is on it. - It - rushes - the - game. Period. I played a 1288' hole yesterday, the group in front of us waited for the group ahead of them to start putting, and we waited for them to start putting. The group behind us did not start throwing until we were all in the circle. None of us can throw 800 feet, but nobody played on other golfers at 800 feet either. The point is:
1. We all waited about 5 minutes
2. Nobody was complaining
3. We got to relax while we played the hole
4. There were no more backups later on the course!

Etiquette only works if everybody participates.

this whole story stinks of bs.
200' throwers,
on a 270' hole,
throwing at a guy tryn to putt.
good chance of landing one anywhere from 80'-50' of the guy.(depending on if the noodles had their wheaties or not that day)
guy calls u out and scolds u for it.
wheres the problem?
awww, was he loud and mean to u, u poor thing.
bet that was the last time u throw on someone again.

*the bs about guy immediately throwing on high school kids is clearly a fabrication.prob tossed a couple 60' at a practice basket. some kids where in the vicinity but aware that he was throwing their way.

Happens on 18 at Renny all the time.

When I play there, if there is someone on hole 18, I try to wait until they get either across that OB area or pretty close to it. It isn't that I think i am going to hit them, but I don't want to accidently hit the power tower and make a big "dong" sound and potentially screw up their throw.

why take the chance on hitting someone. if the dude got nailed, just reason to remove the course. period. throw on me and i'll throw your disc 300ft in the away from you into the rough. so keep on throwing.

btw: no cares how many aces anyone has.