• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New up and coming courses

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
What are some courses that have been developed in the past year or are in the process of being developed that you think will gain notoriety once more people play them?

I am very excited to check out Coyote Trace in Louisville, which has a 4.58 rating. A few people have said that it is a better course than Idlewild.

I am also excited to play Tyler after it's done being redesigned. I was fortunate enough to play in its original form last August.

Any other courses that you predict will be top 25 worthy?

I think the Fairfield redesign (Round Lake, IL) has a shot but lacks amenities at the moment. It's in Chicagoland so it should get good exposure. Might take a few more years with some tweaks planned.

I don't know much about this course but the so called "Red Ribbon Pines" near Blue Ribbon Pines north of the Twin City area could be legit.

Installation of a new 18 hole 9800' course is in the works for Thousand Oaks Ca this year. The new course will have 1 par 5 and 3 par 4's. Cant wait to break ground with the rest of the guys and begin installing.

The Silicon Valley's first 18 hols course should be nearly finished now and ready to play. 18 holes have been installed at Kelly Park in San Jose. Almost all thanks can go to Jim Challas for his tireless efforts to keep growing and installing new courses in the south bay.

Installation of a new 18 hole 9800' course is in the works for Thousand Oaks Ca this year. The new course will have 1 par 5 and 3 par 4's. Cant wait to break ground with the rest of the guys and begin installing.
Is that on a ball golf course that's pretty wide open? The potential par seems low for a course of that length, even in the open.

Rock Ridge Park in Pittsboro, NC. The only Houck design in NC. In a small town at the edge of the Triangle and Triad regions. 2 Par 5s and 7 Par 4s, with multiple lines to choose from on most holes. Dedicated DG area of the park with the only interaction on the walking path between holes.
This is the way courses should be built!!

Rock Ridge Park in Pittsboro, NC. The only Houck design in NC. In a small town at the edge of the Triangle and Triad regions. 2 Par 5s and 7 Par 4s, with multiple lines to choose from on most holes. Dedicated DG area of the park with the only interaction on the walking path between holes.
This is the way courses should be built!!

Also, the course has free wifi!!!! But seriously, this course is a couple tweaks plus much more play from a 4.5. Really love this course.

Is that on a ball golf course that's pretty wide open? The potential par seems low for a course of that length, even in the open.

Lang Ranch DGC will be located at (34.208615, -118.831527) and will be in a mostly open chaparral area with several massive old oaks and lots of elevation change. The designer mentioned the target par would be 58-60.

I have been planting the area with many plants and a few fruit trees over the last year including a fairway lined with 14' tall mammoth sunflowers on either side. I feel that the elevation and the daily high winds will be the greatest difficulty here.

Ghost Tree DGC Augusta, Maine. This course will be finished this summer. Gold tees will play 10,000'+, whites will play 8,000'+. True par 70-71. Taking this one to the next level. It'll turn some heads.

I am very excited to check out Coyote Trace in Louisville, which has a 4.58 rating. A few people have said that it is a better course than Idlewild.

It's tough to say if something is better or worse than Idlewild because Idlewild has such a distinct style.

I will say that Coyote Trace at over 7000ft long, 90% wooded with lots of big elevation changes is a phenomenal course. It will test all players, it has excellent risk/reward and is well worth going out of your way to play.

There are two layouts planned there (it's more than just long and short pads as some holes could have long and short baskets) and the current layout is actually a mix of both. When completed one layouts will be easier than the current layout and one will be more challenging so the course can cater to a more wide variety of players.

Last edited:
There's a new 10000 foot par 72 going in near Montross, VA- property is outstanding with open and wooded areas, elevation, lake, etc. Lake has an island that is roughly 80x120 and property owner is building a bridge to that as well. Just up to me to not screw it up.

There's a new 10000 foot par 72 going in near Montross, VA- property is outstanding with open and wooded areas, elevation, lake, etc. Lake has an island that is roughly 80x120 and property owner is building a bridge to that as well. Just up to me to not screw it up.

Sounds awesome!

There is a new private course in NW Colorado that could become one of the best courses in the mountains. The owner and designer clearly wants the course to be great and is willing to put in the time and effort to make it so. I'm hoping this summer the course will see much more traffic and it will start to get recognized as one of the better CO courses.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6976&mode=ci

Although it might be more than a year in coming The Hawk at Discology 101 aka Tribal Flyers in Eden, NY http://www.tribalflyers.com has the potential to be spectacular. This is a pay to play private disc golf county club listed here as Shadow of the Hawk and Hawk's Landing.

These courses have a true Country Club atmosphere with just about every amenity you could want with more in the works.

Last edited:

Latest posts