• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Other park users.

Be nice! Have you ever seen someone really hit with a driver? I saw my buddy (240lbs.) take one to the head! He dropped like a sack of potatoes- didn't get up for a couple minutes:( Now on the dog poop issue... I yell at full volume for them to pick it up, sometimes offer a spare bag or even explain how it gives other dog owners a bad rep. If that doesn't work I threaten that I will throw it at them or have my dog eat their dog (I have a rotty named Brooklyn!). That goes for anywhere, not just courses- I once feed her burritos so she could get my point across to a nieghbor who didn't get it!

Kind of a problem with our sport is that unlike a ball golf course, an athletic field, or even a playground, the infrastructure isn't exactly imposing. I mean its basically a teepad here and a basket there. Aside from those small features, which non-players can't even see if they're not up close to them, a disc course doesn't look all that different from a regular park.

People who are ignorant to this fact I can deal with. I'll just politely explain to them what's going on, or if their vehicle is parked in a precarious spot and I can't find them, leave a notice on their windshield.

The ones I would like to go belligerent on are those who clearly have demonstrated that they know the course is there and selfishly decided to park their car right in front of a teebox (which have signs right by them). To me that's not ignorance, but blatent disrespect, not only of our sport, but of the city's no vehicles off paved roads ordinance.

The worse case I remember was when the culprits who did this were playing disc golf themselves, despite the fact that there was plenty of space in the parking lot just a few hundred feet away, near tee 1 no less. Talk about douchebaggery.
:mad:

people are one thing cars are another , id give a shi* 2-3 maybe 4 flying fu*** about your car , to me its just a fun temporary hazard . i remember playing during a run meet deal once and i was throwing right over 3-4 hundred thousand dollars worth of cars . the way i looked at it they got insurance and they could have parked in the empty baseball field bu they didnt screw em.

Now one of the churches has a some overflow that parks on the course sometimes but i skip those holes out of respect.

Did she happen to pick up the poop, or did she do as expected & leave it there for someone to step in?

She didn't bother. Few seem to. They even provide dookie bags at Lovers Lane but most dog walkers still seem to treat the situation like its OK because its a park. There is even at least one "Bark park" that I'm aware of nearby that is specifically set up for dog owners. There are no excuses for not cleaning up after fido on the DG course--unless you just had a Destroyer zip by at an uncomfortably close range...I'll take the blame for that one :p

The damn geese here have poop almost the size of a small dogs and those disrespectful bastards poop all over the course! ;)

I've seen exercise groups running up and down the hills on the fairways at Oregon Park before two different tournaments, but they seem like early morning people and they've always cleared out before we start.

Must be polite. That's the rule. These people are, in most cases, sharing a park facility and totally unaware of their surroundings. I've had people with dogs and baby strollers walk right down the middle of the fairway. We just wait or try to get their attention. Most courses don't offer signs to visitors or pedestrians alerting them to the Discgolf course that is being shared with the park

I have heard of a story where someone playing disc golf hit an old man that was walking by and put him in the hospital. The man that got hit talked the city into pulling the course. I would hate to be the one responsible for losing a course.

Wait til people are clearly out of the way, or if it is a shared fairway use caution and inform them of what is taking place.

A couple of weeks ago there were actually a group of ten people grilling and playing bags right on the teebox! Some people are just oblivous to everything. We just tee'd off from right in front of them. As we were walking away I could here them saying " what were those people doing"?

Depends on what they are doing.... If they are just walking through, I'll wait. If they are just standing in the way, I'll give them a few moments to move, if they see me, or just say excuuse me.
I share the park with them, so IMO it's as much their park as mine.

I have heard of a story where someone playing disc golf hit an old man that was walking by and put him in the hospital. The man that got hit talked the city into pulling the course. I would hate to be the one responsible for losing a course.

Wait til people are clearly out of the way, or if it is a shared fairway use caution and inform them of what is taking place.
Alot of these incidents are the cities fault for not having enough dg warning signs at the entrances and exits at Dg courses. If they didnt properly warn him then the city should be liable , but if he was too busy to read signs or didnt want to put his glasses on or wanted to be obliviuos to everything else besides what he was doing i dont really feel sorry for him.

What's really cool is that people who are playing organized sports themselves tend to be MUCH more courteous and respectful than casual park-users. At Oak Grove (CA), for instance, the baseball / soccer field that comes into play on holes 1-3 usually has Mexicans or Armenians playing on the weekends - I've never, ever had a problem with them. They see what you're doing and they act just as if it's also their responsibility to see to it that the park remains available for all.

Same with the kids playing on the ball fields at La Mirada (back 18) - they step aside and watch us shank our drives, keeping the hysterical giggling under control until we're out of sight :D

warning signs?

Alot of these incidents are the cities fault for not having enough dg warning signs at the entrances and exits at Dg courses. If they didnt properly warn him then the city should be liable , but if he was too busy to read signs or didnt want to put his glasses on or wanted to be obliviuos to everything else besides what he was doing i dont really feel sorry for him.

Signs are a great idea, but I rarely see them at a course. I have played nearly 50 courses and have seen warning signs on maybe 4 of them. Perhaps more signs at parks are a good idea, especially from liability issues for the owners, public or private.

the local high school used to have their cross country team run back and forth on the course's fairways. Their coach would tell us to play through always... MANY folks got hit. There wasn't an afternoon out there that you didn't see someone take a real doozie. I don't know if the coach was just trying to keep his kids on their toes, or what, but apparently they have a new coach this year that keeps them all off to the sides of the course instead of on the fairways.

Latest posts