• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rude, Annoying or fine?

People have preferences. It may be part of their pre-putt to focus on the basket. I have no problem pulling if someone asks.

I DO, however, have a problem when people assume that their disc is close enough for a gimmie and walk to the next teepad. Ask first. 15 feet in the wind is no gimmie.

In my opinion, if you can't reach out and touch the chains with your disc, its not a gimme. Prove it to me. Bang those chains!

I think just asking before a round starts would be the best thing. That way you avoid the possibility of making someone mad by not taking your disc out.

Fine

Unless its a doubles tourny whats the problem? Some people might go to tournys for the sport alone and not to meet new people. Just because someone dosnt want to chit-chat with you, why should that make them "rude".

Im not ipod guy, but I dont have a problem with him.

I have played with both Walkman guy and Boombox guy. The boombox guy was doing it in a tourney, and I don't think he realized that it was innappropriate for a tournament. He was a tough criminal-type, so we just let it ride for awhile. Finally I started playing some music out loud on my ipod (to see if MY music annoyed him) and finally some guy who we crossed from another fairway commented on his music and said "what the hell?!!!". Then he heard mine and said "geez, the whole world is playing music!". The boombox guy finally asked us if it bothered us, and we said that it probably would be better if he just played it in a casual round and he finally stopped. Yes, a passive-agressive move on my part, but it worked.

As for the Walkman guy, he was playing his music, with earbuds in (in a tournament) and three of us were shouting at him to get his attention and he could not hear us. It annoyed a couple of us.

In essence, I think that if you are with other people, you need to stay connected and courteous to them, unless you have some code of conduct in which everybody can live in their own LA LA Land.

This freshman chick walks into my oceanography class everyday with her headphones blaring heavy metal. Most of the noise seems to bypass her ear canal and filter out into the room. Super annoying. Five minutes before the second midterm, the room was quiet, people were concentrating... and then she walks in the room. Oblivious!
DSCJNKY

This freshman chick walks into my oceanography class everyday with her headphones blaring heavy metal. Most of the noise seems to bypass her ear canal and filter out into the room. Super annoying. Five minutes before the second midterm, the room was quiet, people were concentrating... and then she walks in the room. Oblivious!
DSCJNKY

Ever so slowly we are getting into golf ettiquite. DJNKY makes the point from another angle.

Generally in tourneys the etiquette is to remove your disc from the basket once it has come to rest and then step away so you don't distract the next thrower. Casual rounds are, of course, different from tourney rounds. As far as ipods, most of the guys I see using them during tourneys are using them to block out distractions and concentrate on their game. It seems to work for them. To each his own.

Umm...I don't really have any problems with players who wants to hear their own "noises" while playing.

I do wear hearing aids and can hear sounds around me. Its annoy where's someone is still talking nearby when I was going to make the shots. Even more when someone is within my visual range is moving around too much like drying the towels, packing discs, smoking, etc.

This only happens at tournaments/leagues. I don't mind distractions during casual rounds. Its good for you sometimes. :D

Yeah, I have found this to be a common occurance at tournaments. I think the guys who do it use it to relax and not over think things. You know, whatever works to help you out with the mental game. In fact if it bothers you that much then the success of the head phones is now two fold. He's calm and your slightly annoyed. It really is a mental game.

I've never even thought about listening to music while playing. I play best when I just detach from the world around me before throws and putts. I try to just turn off the brain and run on the senses.
If I don't I make a lot of mistakes.

I'm pretty decent at tuning out distractions though because of my work. At nights I work at a comedy club and typically am the one to start the shows off announcing from the sound booth. Well in the club circuit its a past time of sorts to try and get the announcer to mess up. Most abide a policy of no touching but I have been given a wet willy and once had Jon Pinette , who's huge, body bump me into the wall repeatedly. Anyways I've seen some crazy attempts to get me to mess up. The only one to actually work was saying my script a step ahead of me in my ear. I also work in the box office occasionally and have had to have conversations with polite old women while people are telling filthy jokes a foot behind me. You just gotta learn to tune it all out on your own and for me its all about turning off the brain and going to the instincts.

i think having the headphone wires would f#$% up my swing something fierce..
though, i have carried my ipod with a tiny portable speaker before and that was pretty nice. But then you have to be 'that guy'.:cool:

That's why you run the wires under your shirt. I wear a Walkman as I unload my work truck at night and I keep the wires under my shirt to keep them out of my way.

I also wear a XM INNO when I am at the practice field and I really enjoy it. I have never taken it to the course, because if someone hollers "fore" at me, I want to be able to hear it.

15 feet in the wind is no gimmie.

In my opinion, if you can't reach out and touch the chains with your disc, its not a gimme. Prove it to me. Bang those chains!

zenbot and nygfaninva said it best. i've won and lost several casual rounds because of a "gimmie". This sounds like it could be a good idea for another thread!

As far as IPod guy, I played with him once in a casual round. Several times while talking to him, I would get a hesitated response that ultimately lead to him turning the music down and saying "Huh?!". That was a little annoying. Everyone has their own thing that helps them relax and/or focus, so if that is their thing, I don't have a problem with it. I don't listen to IPods on the course, but personally, I would make sure I could maintain awareness of what was going on in the group including conversations, so listening at a lower volume seems more acceptable.

I love music, and always listen to it in the car. As far as playing DG, part of the enjoyment for me is just getting out to the course and enjoying being out hiking through the woods listening to the natural sounds around me. I find it very relaxing.

It depends...but generally I find it annoying/rude when people wear earphones while playing, unless they are playing by themself. The people that play with earphones during a tourney are not paying attention to other people which annoys some, but in some sense is part of what disc golf is really about. You vs. the course, not you vs. them. There is no rule against it, but they are not making any friends either. They are focused on their game and not being distracted by others.

I will sometimes listen to my ipod w/ earphones when I practice mindless stuff by myself, but I also like to hear my surroundings and be aware of what is around me. I would not wear earphones at some courses due to the neighborhood and likely hood of being jumped again.

I also sometimes listen to the speaker on my ipod which is hardly loud when I'm practicing or just playing a round with a friend that I know likes my music.

When I play any tournaments, singles, doubles, triples I never listen to music. I think earphones would totally defeat the purpose of playing double or triples. I like to know what is going on around me, but it doesn't distract me. I can get into a zone just playing a song in my head and block out people, although my putting still sucks. I want to be able to hear that fore! Although if I get stuck playing with somebody annoying the hell out me again, I may have to pull out the earphones. I noticed a few pros wearing earphones at the 2008 worlds, but I wonder if that may have been out of boredom from playing all week.

I work with this kid(22yr) (man i feel old saying that now im almost 30)who wears his earphones often and it annoys the hell out me. I have to repeat almost everything I say because he can't hear the first couple words. It takes him extra time to do stuff because he has to wire up or wire down to do certain things. Not to mention the severe ADHD he has. He's already deaf enough, and I can hear his music as if I had his earphones on. I almost threw a socket wrench at him to get his attention one time because he couldn't hear me yelling at him, and I was about 20' high on a scaffold and needed something. I call him Meatwad now after the ATHF episode with MC Pee Pants! lol.

I do believe that somewhere in "The Official " rules is a rule about courtesy. Its kinda vague, but covers situations where players are not paying attention to what is going on around them. This includes foot faults, marker placements, being attentive to order of play and the like. Courtesy extends beyond the group one may be playing with. Not paying atttention affects the play of everyone on the course. I think the penalty is a warning, followed by strokes. Make friends...call a courtesy violation.

LOL...im gonna warn that jackass that wouldn't shut up next time and then keep giving him strokes when he keeps talking after that. Shut up and throw!

There are some people who will not putt if there is a disc in the basket.

I had a guy do this in the first tourney I played in. I made a great 30' putt and he went up and marked his lie at about 10 feet. He looked around at me and said "I'm gonna have to ask you to pull that". After I pulled it he missed his 10' putt. Then he went up in embarrassment and suicide putted from 5' away and missed that one. Then he had to sneak into the bushes to "smoke" before the next hole. He then teed off, grip locking one 90 degrees left (he was a lefty) into the lake, and missing a mando at the same time.

It happened again in my last tourney. I had a 13 year old kid on my card who had never played in a tournament. He made a great putt and then stood quietly waiting for us to putt. I made mine while his disc was in the basket and then removed my disc, but the other guy said "I'm gonna have to ask you to pull that". The kid was like "excuse me?" Because he was not sure what the guy meant. I said "he wants you to remove your disc from the basket". The kid removed his disc and the a-hole missed a 12 footer. It was sweet.

Its called ettiqutte. You dont see golfers leave their ball in the hole after they make it. Same thing as people talking or walkin behind the basket when your putting. You will learn after playing tournaments people ask for that all of the time. If you dont like it then you wont play tourneys for long. And yes I also listen to music all the time but ask many who I play with, I can do multiple things at once.

Mr Ipod guy?

Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to.
Peter Green

Latest posts