• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules enforcement from top PDGA pros

I just haven't seen any compelling explanation for why we should consider this a problem that needs tackling, especially in the manner that the current rules attempt to apply. Rather, I see people miffed that an existing rule is basically never applied.

This sums up most PDGA rules discussions. It doesn't matter how well the existing rules are written if the players aren't going to enforce them.

This sums up most PDGA rules discussions. It doesn't matter how well the existing rules are written if the players aren't going to enforce them.

Compliance is a form of enforcement. The reality is that almost all rules are "enforced" almost all the time by virtue of the vast majority of players simply choosing to make their best effort to comply with the rules.

Kona Panis made a post on her Instagram. . and Barsby replied

"This past weekend I also had to call a rules violation on one of my card mates. It was a very awkward and tense situation. Although I knew it wouldn't be a very comfortable thing to go through with this other player, I knew in my heart something had to be said. In competition it's important that we keep each other honest and that we follow the rules given to us by the PDGA. I hope that if any of you see something happen on the course that you will call it too. It has nothing against the other player, it's never personal, we are all just trying to keep each other true to the sport."

Greg

"greggbarsby
Good on you for making a call! Sadly our sport is self governed and without people standing up, the rules get trampled. It's also tough, because if you follow the rules and make a call, things get personal when it just shouldn't be like that. Kudos"

Kona Panis made a post on her Instagram. . and Barsby replied

barsby was already in my top 5 favorite players for his skills/climo impersonation, but this might just move him up a spot or two.

Good on both of them.

Like Kona said, it's tough and awkward to make those calls. Obviously she didn't feel 100% comfortable with it.

I'm sure the support of veteran touring pro and former World Champ like Barsby, helps... not only to support Kona's decision, but to promote the conversation about enforcing rules to maintain the sport's integrity.

Does anyone know the call she had to make?

If she was ever on a card with Sarah H. she could probably have called any number of illegal jump putts. Not a hater, just some of her putts aren't even close... of course, with the assistance of photo evidence.

Just a pic from a quick Google search as an example.

picture.php

Kona made a call on an illegal device. Lisa Fajkus set her bag down up in the gap and then proceeded to toss to it (did not hit it). Lisa did not realize that was not allowed. I also want to mention that Lisa was VERY respectful when I was discussing it with her on the phone. You don't always get that when having to assess penalties.

Kona made a call on an illegal device. Lisa Fajkus set her bag down up in the gap and then proceeded to toss to it (did not hit it). Lisa did not realize that was not allowed. I also want to mention that Lisa was VERY respectful when I was discussing it with her on the phone. You don't always get that when having to assess penalties.

I had heard about the bag but not the details and didn't think about it being the incident. Good info. Thanks.

Because they weren't sure of the rule at the time.

I have an idea to help solve this:

We should have the rules printed in a book. But books are a PITA. maybe make it small so it can fit in your bag?

But its 2020, who reads physical copies of books?!? It would be nice if a website had all the rules too.

But man, those rules aren't searchable. The U disc app - which is what they are using to score with and comes for free with all pdga membership (Which if you are playing ledgestone you are a PDGA member) should have the rules and then a search function so I could search key words to quickly find them.

OOOH and you should have to take an open book test on the rules before entering the event not because every situation is in the test but that the test showcases that the point is to look for rules when something happens.

Imagine if all that had happened how much different this outcome would be!

We should have the rules printed in a book. But books are a PITA. maybe make it small so it can fit in your bag?

But its 2020, who reads physical copies of books?!? It would be nice if a website had all the rules too.

But man, those rules aren't searchable. The U disc app - which is what they are using to score with and comes for free with all pdga membership (Which if you are playing ledgestone you are a PDGA member) should have the rules and then a search function so I could search key words to quickly find them.

OOOH and you should have to take an open book test on the rules before entering the event not because every situation is in the test but that the test showcases that the point is to look for rules when something happens.

Come on! These professional disc golfers should not be expected to be, yanno, professional. :rolleyes:

There needs to be a warning label to show you shouldn't read a post when drinking. I almost spit my tea on my monitor. Thanks for the laugh!

On a serious note....I am so thankful our rule book is short and to the point. Check out the ball golf rule book sometime. I don't know how anyone can memorize/be familiar with all those rules.

Nah. That's too easy. You need to make it smaller. Maybe remove the front cover too?

Hot stamp the rulz on discs.

Not the whole rule book on one disc, but different sections of the rulebook on different speeds and stabilities, such that to end up with the complete rulebook, you necessarily have a reasonably balanced bag, with a range of stabilities for putters, mids, fairways, and distance.

By the time you wear out the stamp out on a disc, you should have that rule memorized.

I must admit that i did not know that rule. . but i know enough to figure out that it´s not allowed to use your bag as an aiming point.

And it´s odd if that person got angry with Kona for pointing that out. . there was a camera on that card and the the whole incident was filmed.
Would have been bad for the sport if a rule violation that obvious was filmed and no one on the card called it. . ..the jump putts ARE hard to see. . .this was not

And it´s odd if that person got angry with Kona for pointing that out. . there was a camera on that card and the the whole incident was filmed.

The official who dealt with Lisa on the ruling went out of his way upthread to say how well she handled it.

Would have been bad for the sport if a rule violation that obvious was filmed and no one on the card called it. . ..the jump putts ARE hard to see. . .this was not

Hasn't hurt anything yet and happens all the time.