• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Small vs Big Diameter disc

Ewb46

Birdie Member
Okay just fresh off the search tool and I have found nothing to really explain this to me. I am hoping someone here can drop some knowledge on the subject. I have noticed my panther and Cro are smaller then my Cobra and Buzz. What is the advantage or disadvantage of this type of disc? Is it cosmetic or feel? Just curious Innova's catalog does nothing to explain this.

a bigger disc should have more drag but its bigger so it should have more lift , a smaller disc of similar shape should cut though the air better but not have as much lift.

That will also cause the smaller discs to have a higher speed than the larger diameter discs. Or basically that is what Omega already said just in different words.

of course the bigger(wider) disc would have more rotational inertia(momentum) or whatever the right word is ,so i dont know exactly how that would factor in since i got a g.e.d. ,true the smaller one would spin faster but i guess it wouldnt have as much momentum so would that overcome the extra drag of the wider disc and how much would weight factor in to that also . im sure someone can explain this but i probally couldnt understand what they are talking about.

just like bigger wheels on a car(or gears) the smaller ones would spin faster but also peter out quicker than the bigger ones

Last edited:
Bigger discs tend to glide better. Smaller ones tend to move faster.
Bigger discs tend to turn over easier, as they catch more air, but this is probably partly due to drivers being mostly small diameter discs. I didn't really notice this till trying to drive deep with the Buzzz and Stalker though.
The biggest difference, in my opinion, is bigger discs catch more wind when it isn't calm.

Now with all that said should you throw either diferently?

Not really, I've found a fan grip works better for control on big diams, but it's probably just a "feel" issue.

All things being equal, you have to throw the small diameter disc harder. It needs to get up to a higher speed to do what it does, namely penetrate forward. The larger diameter disc is going to glide and can do that at a lower speed. However, in reality it ends up being apples and oranges becasue stability also effects how hard you need to throw. So in reality you throw a large-diameter overstable disc harder than an understable small diameter disc. Once you are on the course there are so many other factors in play that it's never as simple as "small diameter, I need to throw it hard."

I don't have a lot of experience with small diameter mids. I really don't like them at all. From the experience that I do have (mostly throwing Panthers and MRV's) the small diameter discs work well on a low line while the large diameter discs do better with some height. This might be fubar as I really don't have a lot of throws with the small diameter mids, and the few throws I do have didn't get me excited.

I'm 6'6'' with XXXL hands. I tend to like large diameter discs and deep bevel discs.
Just a preference.
It's a "feel" thing.

I can't even think of a small diameter mid. Aren't the crow and panther more long range like the ace race discs, storm, and eclipse?

All things being equal, you have to throw the small diameter disc harder. It needs to get up to a higher speed to do what it does, namely penetrate forward. The larger diameter disc is going to glide and can do that at a lower speed. However, in reality it ends up being apples and oranges becasue stability also effects how hard you need to throw. So in reality you throw a large-diameter overstable disc harder than an understable small diameter disc. Once you are on the course there are so many other factors in play that it's never as simple as "small diameter, I need to throw it hard."

I don't have a lot of experience with small diameter mids. I really don't like them at all. From the experience that I do have (mostly throwing Panthers and MRV's) the small diameter discs work well on a low line while the large diameter discs do better with some height. This might be fubar as I really don't have a lot of throws with the small diameter mids, and the few throws I do have didn't get me excited.

You actually made me think about it, and for some reason I prefer small mids for understable shots (Skeeter) and big mids for overstable shots (Sentinels, Rocs). Kind of weird.