• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sounds like you've got the record at this point

danhyzer

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Grab your :popcorn: because ------------ -

I am very humbled of what Gregg Hosfeld posted on Face Book the other night..... "Doesn't sound like I could stop you, Dan Kilgore. Didn't realize you'd passed me. Sounds like you've got the record at this point. Hard to keep racking em up living in FL.
So, that makes, what... 5 of us over 1K now?"

5 Disc Golfers in the WORLD to have played at least 1000 courses. And after talking with Larry Clifford Kirk yesterday he told me that I might be the only person to have played 1000 different courses and to have played at least one course in every state (I've played all 50 states, 4 Canadian provinces and England).

Very humbling. Because without God in my heart I don't think I could of ever attempted this grand milestone. I also wish to acknowledge the love and support of my Mom and my step-father Allen (both gone, but always in my ) and my good friend Jesse R Buryj (who was KIA in Iraq in 2004), But I know he's always with me on my travels because he always liked to play new courses with me back in the day. and maybe because I say his name and Mom 90% of the time after I get a birdie to myself. After his untimely death in 2004, I've played aprox. 800 new Disc Golf courses. where I get this energy and will to play as many as I have is a tribute to the above mentioned but also to so many others. I was so blessed to start my Disc Golf roots in Canton, Ohio with great friends like Chris Pellegrino, John Franks, Rob Bryan my GREAT friend Bill Griffith (as he and are blessed to get to design new courses (not only for me to bag, but for many other to ♥) and my great friends Medina family of Itch, Sharon Jenkins, Leroy Jenkins, Brad Evans and his Dad, Bob for all the Aloha they arranged for me to play Disc golf in Hawaii. Back in the day we traveled great distances to play in tournaments in Dayton, Peru, Indiana, Laurel Springs, N.C. Toronto etc... and it wasn't til I played in the 1999 AM Worlds in Detroit, that I found my passion of playing as many Disc Golf courses as God gives me the ability to play. As I missed the final cut and after talking with some of my friends they suggested I go around Lake Erie and play as many of the DG courses in the PDGA directory as I could. That's when I found that playing Disc Golf recreationally (for me) was more fun than playing in tournaments. I also want to thank Gregg Hosfeld as he laid the groundwork for serious Disc Golf course counting sluts like me, as he always wrote about his travels in the Disc Golf World Magazine. His articles to me was like reading a great novel, but with cool pictures. Gregg, I never dreamed of passing you, but if it wasn't for you. I never would of had the vision of bagging so many courses. And I'll never forget the time when I was in High Point, NC when I saw you at that one basket and I went over and saw who you we're and asked where you we're going next and if you'd play a new Disc golf course with me. So We played the tube tone (my only tube tone course I've played, though I did play a private course that used some fire extinguishers as baskets in Humbolt Co., Ca.) course in Yadkinville, N.C. and I bought you dinner afterwards. Little did I know where I was going, but to be with you at that time was top shelf feeling

There's so many more people to thank, how about a shout out to the many friends that make Disc Golf so beautiful, that I want to come and visit you and play a new course. To www.DGcoursereview.com that allows me to hit an app and take away the courses I've already played, Tim your Disc Golf website is second to none. and I'd be lost without!! To the people who design new courses for others to love and for me to play and , and Wooster Park dept. as you allowed me to design a DG course in my hometown and to name it after my Grandfather (Miles Specht). to the many people who went out of their way to arrange me to play a private course or the person who helped me play a course I wasn't familiar with or the person who didn't mind if I played through. how about the faceless person who helped me with directions when I became lost in my travels. I want to thank my employer, The US Post Office. I am so blessed to have such a great job.

I want to thank Matt Sime for sharing the fairway as we played my 999 and 1000th DG course together.

I never intended to play as many Disc golf courses as I have to date. But God willing I'll be able to play one more----------------- - +

Thanks again to everyone who is my friend, talks to me about Disc Golf, is associated with Disc Golf and the gazillion of volunteers who make Disc Golf courses playable and my co-workers who have had an earful of my Disc Golf over the years and still support me. I am truly blessed to today be the leader of the World of Disc Golf courses played. Very Humbling. May the course be with you all---------------------- - +

Congrats. I'm sure you had no idea when you started that you'd pass 1000 courses.....inasmuch as there weren't 1000 courses to play, at the time.

My closest claim is to have played with all five 1000-coursers. My good fortune to have been here and available when you passed through Stoney Hill, thus my chance to meet you.

You have easily played 5x more courses than I'll probably ever play in my life.

My hat is off to you, sir. :hfive:

May our paths cross again soon. What an amazing trip it has been thus far - it was a pleasure sharing milestones along the way with you. Someday I hope to give you a tour of the course in my back yard. :)

Pretty amazing stuff, Ashleigh and I can't wait to join that exclusive club in a couple years! :)

I know about you, Matt, Gregg and Ben, who's the 5th in the club?

Pretty amazing stuff, Ashleigh and I can't wait to join that exclusive club in a couple years! :)

I know about you, Matt, Gregg and Ben, who's the 5th in the club?

Isn't it Teh_Wood, if I recall?? A little controversy surrounded his accomplishments, there was a thread a few years back, but I didn't know his real name. Maybe he's one of those other guys you mentioned.

Congrats, Dan. Sorry your trip out here didn't work out that time. I'm also sorry to hear of the passing of your mother.

Last edited:
Hey danhyzer, congrats on the accomplishment. I noticed you played a course I helped design (a modest course in a public park) here in Nova Scotia. Because of this site I was able to reference your visit to our Village officials, using you as an example of how people travel from all over to play different courses. "A guy from Ohio was here to play,"- they love that sh*t! It helped secure some much needed $$ to upgrade our course. Cheers to you my friend, it's people like you who keep this thing going. Nicely done!

Congrats on being at the top of an elite list! It's funny how everything's relative. Some people think I've played a lot of courses, but compared to Club 1K, I'm a newb.

Very cool, I missed that.

Me, too. So much for playing with them all.

Donny Olow (DonnyO) lists over 1000 courses played. He's the 5th I was thinking about.

Teh_Wood's claims were dubious.

5, 6, it's a pretty small club.

Nonetheless, Dan's cleared 1000 by more than I've cleared 0. Amazing.

Hey danhyzer, congrats on the accomplishment. I noticed you played a course I helped design (a modest course in a public park) here in Nova Scotia. Because of this site I was able to reference your visit to our Village officials, using you as an example of how people travel from all over to play different courses. "A guy from Ohio was here to play,"- they love that sh*t! It helped secure some much needed $$ to upgrade our course. Cheers to you my friend, it's people like you who keep this thing going. Nicely done!

Funny thing. I just realized now that you only wishlisted our course. Still, the mere illusion that you played it secured us money for upgrades. THAT'S pretty amazing in itself.

Stay in school, kids. :p

Double Congratulations Dan. It was a pleasure meeting you, and witnessing a Gold medal win! :D And to think, at the pace you add courses, I'll probably never catch up to within 1000 of your number, either!

err...Back to topic: do you realize that (except for Martin & Mashnut) everyone combined who has posted here so far still fall about 350 courses behind Dan? I am truly impressed.

ps: thanks, mods. good call. This is about Diamond course explorers!

I can only hope to play 100 courses in my lifetime. Few of have the kind of lives that allow for us to accomplish what you have. It's awesome that you acknowledge this, and are very thankful for the opportunity.

Congratulations.

on September 9 Tim Horvath --------------- - +
played his 1000th disc golf course. It was at the really cool Ghost Town course in Russell Gulch, Colorado. It's taken me just over 20 years to reach this milestone. I think I'm only one of a dozen or so players to have played this many courses.

Latest posts