• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The DGCR Mold: Let's build a disc!

So will DGCR be part of the Faction? Now r/Reddit is gonna jump on this idea. Will Gateway mold these? Where are the profits, if any, for this going? Custom stamps? RDG stamps? Skullboy stamps? Is RDG considered "not involved" if they are selling it on their site directly, if they are considered the distributor, or if a plastic blend it's available in is Fossil? So many things to think about. One thing is for sure, I'll buy one.

So will DGCR be part of the Faction? Now r/Reddit is gonna jump on this idea. Will Gateway mold these? Where are the profits, if any, for this going? Custom stamps? RDG stamps? Skullboy stamps? Is RDG considered "not involved" if they are selling it on their site directly, if they are considered the distributor, or if a plastic blend it's available in is Fossil? So many things to think about. One thing is for sure, I'll buy one.

The disc will be approved under DGCR as the manufacturer. The profits made through the sales will go directly to support the site.

I already have Gateway on board to produce the mold if we choose to go through them.

...What are the chances this DGCR lid would have Marmoset artwork on it?

...Custom stamps? RDG stamps? Skullboy stamps? ...

I have thrown my name into the ring for doing the CAD work for the conceptualizing and for the final injection mold. Also, I have volunteered to draw the stamp. But honestly, it's whatever everyone on DGCR agrees to.

The idea of a lid/polecat style disc seems to me to be the direction that would get the most adoption from the community. The problem with drivers is weight. Not everyone wants max weight (I prefer low-to-mid 160s) and making enough discs to cover a large weight range seems difficult.

As you move to slower discs, weight becomes less of an issue. Something large, floaty, and straight would be awesome.

Of course, there's only one name that makes sense.... Platebee. There would be stamp on top with the name, and a bottom stamp with a sammich and some chips.

Of course, there's only one name that makes sense.... Platebee. There would be stamp on top with the name, and a bottom stamp with a sammich and some chips.

If we make a Platebee, that would be amazing and I would buy it. Probably several. And if we do a pink RFF one my daughter would like it too.

Reinstate the title giving system and use the profits for the fundraising. Pay to temp ban people, etc etc.

im a fan of the upshot #1 lid design. Smaller diameter is nice for DG bags (or any bag for that matter). Id love to see a single premium & baseline useable mold. MOAR PLATIXIESES = RICHNE$$!

the rounded shoulder on upshot vs polecat makes it feel really nice in the hand for fan or powergrip.

how crazy do we want to get?
I have a wonderfully grinchy idea that might be tricky to execute... definitely not a run-of-the-mill disc design!

Are we aiming for more standard injection mold design or do we want to consider a multi-shot process that is executionally similar to overmolding?

While Gateway has tinked around with overmolding and multishot injection, their bread and butter is a standard single-shot injection mold. For consistency's sake, I'd stick with that.

LARGE DIAMETER POLECAT! LARGE DIAMETER POLECAT! LARGE DIAMETER POLECAT! :D

As long as the larger diameter fits in a standard disc golf bag, I really like the larger diameter lid idea. Personally I want Sonic like rings on the top (without the big dome).

As long as the larger diameter fits in a standard disc golf bag...

Completely agreed.

So that was a primary consideration when I proposed the 22cm diameter. 22cm is just barely larger than a Roc/Buzzz and those two discs will fit into any bag. 22cm is only 2mm bigger than the Roc. 2mm is a hair over 1/16".

For contrast, the Zephyr is 24.1cm diameter which is nearly an inch larger than the Roc.

I'm not aware of any 22cm lids on the market. Am I missing something? Sonic is 21.6 and is the closest thing I can think of...

The design I'm proposing has much more meat in the rim than the Sonic. This should make it more torque resistant and evenly stable. The catch here is that we would need to make sure that there isn't too much meat in the rim so that it becomes overstable. I have a way of making sure we have the proper ratio; this extra step doesn't scare me.

How about the polar opposite of the Stego???? Almost uselessly understable! Reverse the spelling Ogets!

Latest posts