• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trusted Reviewers???

Shuie

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So, i am wondering now, How many trusted reviews are out there that have reviewed the least amount of courses in the top 50 or Top ten Played/Favorited??? I mean its easy to get mad thumbs up, if you reviews these type of courses. I have gotten some of my most thumbs on courses like Rolling ridge, Phantom Falls, Golden Gate Park, Whistler's Bend and Winter Park, which all of these meet the previous stated parameters but I am the type of fellow who mainly reviews a course if its has a low number of reviews(5 or less) or if i completely disagree with the other reviews. Let hear what you guys got!!!!

I'm not sure if this is the sort of feedback you're looking for, but I've only had the privilege of playing three of the top 25 in any major category (Rated, Favorited, Played & Wishlisted): Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, and Mt. Airy. Add in 2 that are in the top 25 private (Shawshank & Coyote Trace), and you can see I have so far only dreamed of getting further afield.

But I have played and reviewed almost every little course that pops up on the radar within a 100 mile radius of home, and added some on my few road trips trying to bag a course in each state & province I was going through.

Even though some of those only get a solitary thumb up from a friend or two who read my reviews, I still think having something describing the course to the potential passer-through is helpful, and what this site is kind of about.

So, I just keep on keeping on, and hope to be able to experience some more of the top popular courses as I get a chance to do so. :eek:

I've only reviewed Flip City and Rollin' Ridge in the top 10. I have a TON of smaller courses, reviewed, and with a lot having no more than 2 or 3 thumbs, which is typical for WI courses.

I've played some others, but they were before I had played a ton, and I want to get back before I put up a review. That includes Winter Park, Standing Rock, Sandy Point, Highbridge, a few of which would probably give me a lot of thumbs either way.

I don't mind reviewing every course I play now, good or bad. I just like to contribute, and I know I look at trusted reviewers thoughts when I'm out and about, if for nothing more than navigational help.

@ Stardoggy, Your Flip City review is kind of the point i am getting at, its over 10% off your thumbs up and your Michigan reviews at almost 1/5th of your thumbs up and that's only 5 of 75. One can easily become a high level reviewer by just knowing the "HOMIE LOVE" areas like, Ludington/Flip MI area, Bucksnort/Phantom falls, and the Natti area just a few places off the top of my head.

@ Stardoggy, Your Flip City review is kind of the point i am getting at, its over 10% off your thumbs up and your Michigan reviews at almost 1/5th of your thumbs up and that's only 5 of 75. One can easily become a high level reviewer by just knowing the "HOMIE LOVE" areas like, Ludington/Flip MI area, Bucksnort/Phantom falls, and the Natti area just a few places off the top of my head.

Yup, but I don't mind all that much. I enjoy reviewing courses, as much for myself as for others. It's fun to go back and read some of my reviews, and remember courses, but also to see how far I've come as a player since some of the earlier reviews.

I know that if I threw out reviews on some of the courses I played when I knew next to nothing that I'd get lots of thumbs, but oh well. I'll get back to those places at some point, and then offer a better perspective, I think. I'll be playing Idlewild/Lincoln Ridge/Mt. Airy/Lemon Lake in about ten days, so my thumbs should grow rapidly after those reviews.

I actually enjoy reviewing crappy courses just as much as phenomenal courses. See my Ninigret review for proof of that...LoL.

I gained my gold medal by writing the review that brought Selah-Creekside into the number one spot. That single review holds about 10% of my total thumbs. I haven't written a review since...

Eh, aside from Flip and Idlewild, my thumbs are pretty well spread out. Highland Park in Joliet is tied for third most thumbs, and that's hardly a famous course.

I feel like I have a pretty even distribution of thumbs, not reliant on just a handful of top courses. Playing Selah (29 :thmbup: combined) and in western PA helped, but I also have netted a lot in the Gulf region, which isn't particularly active on DGCR (though more so than, say, Wisconsin). I travel a decent amount (Germany, Vancouver, Nebraska, etc) which helps spread out my contributions.

I agree that reviewing under reviewed, under appreciated, or overrated courses is the most helpful. But like Stardoggy, I just enjoy writing reviews, period, so I review every course I play as long as I feel I'm able to. Right now there are two courses that I've played that I haven't reviewed: Langan Park, because I didn't play it all and was rushing through what I did play, and City Park New Orleans, because I find the new layout hard to rate and they have continued to tweak it, so I'm waiting until it's truly settled.

If I ever get to TR status, my claim to fame will be my Pendleton King review: 63 :thmbup:, 3 :thmbdown:

I'll admit I cashed in on everyone getting pissed at driveby 5disc reviews being handed out by the locals, and put up a decent review ... and just sat back and let the :thmbup: shower over me :D

If I ever get to TR status, my claim to fame will be my Pendleton King review: 63 :thmbup:, 3 :thmbdown:

I'll admit I cashed in on everyone getting pissed at driveby 5disc reviews being handed out by the locals, and put up a decent review ... and just sat back and let the :thmbup: shower over me :D

63 is a TON. My highest is Flip with 26...

I have played 2 of the top 10, but only reviewed Bucksnort. I did not review Maple Hill

I have played 5 of the top 25

Last edited:

Classic.

Has anyone else had their reviews edited / partially deleted, because some local (?) didn't like what you had to say about their course?

My top six thumb getters.

Blue Ribbon Pines, East Bethel, MN: 21 up, 1 down
Water Works Park, Kansas City, MO: 16 up, 2 down
Frontier Park, Hays, KS: 13 up, 2 down
Sugar Bottom Rec. Area, North Liberty, IA: 12 up, 0 down
Wildcat Springs, Hamilton, IL: 11 up, 0 down
Oak Park, Wichita, KS: 11 up, 0 down

So I have 594 ups and 14 downs total. Those six reviews (out of 97 written) are responsible for 14% of my green thumbs and 35% of my red thumbs. Really, that's not all that unusual.

So, i am wondering now, How many trusted reviews are out there that have reviewed the least amount of courses in the top 50 or Top ten Played/Favorited??? I mean its easy to get mad thumbs up, if you reviews these type of courses.
Urban courses also will generally get you more thumbs than rural ones do because well, more people play those courses. Caveat: This also applies to red thumbs.

This has always been my primary complaint about the TR system, and most people chasing TR medals know this. Some people can review the bare minimum and get a bronze TR award. Living out in the sticks, I had to do more than 50 reviews. (Granted, after that it was like compounding interest and the silver and gold ones came rather easy).

I wouldve never gotten to Diamond without traveling to Natti and Charlotte

Its a flawed system but its better than what we had b4

My stats: 348 reviews, 931 thumbs up, 77 down. Bucksnort leads the way with 20 thumbs up!

sounds like you need to review Pendleton King ;)

i think there are diminishing returns for pendleton reviews. first mover advantage.

anyways, my most thumbed

pendleton king 31
stoney hill 28
brackets bluff 15
castle hayne 15
elk mountain 15

Better, and Worse, Rate

I average 5.54 up-votes per review.
I have played 6 of the top 25 courses.
For them, 10.17 up-votes per review.
An increase of 184%. :thmbup:

I average 0.61 down-votes per review.
I have played 6 of the top 25 courses.
For them, 1.17 down-votes per review.
An increase of 192%. :thmbdown:

So, for me, playing a top course does increase my voting results by nearly double - in both a positive, and negative, way! :\

Latest posts