• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship

I am in the camp that doesn't necessarily want to see disc golf taken seriously.

I dont take it very seriously either and I like it that way but I'm not entering tournaments as a top pro either. I prefer to have fun over getting a good score and being uber serious anyday. I'm more into having fun than most people out there but there is a time for having fun, goofing around etc... A professional disc golfer competing a in a tournament probably isn't the time to goof around IMO. A pro doesn't have to act like a dick, calling all kinds of bogus fouls and act like a jerk to his opponents, but I think throwing a shot into the dirt to let opposition catch up to you is much worse. Definitely bad for the sport and its image by turning professional tournament play into a joke.

Why not? His sponsor has it posted as the top news on their page with the title, "Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship." The fact that it was obvious is apparently working out as a big plus for him.

How was his sponsor supposed to reply to what happened? By saying their sponsored professional made a mistake costing him the win and he sucks and so do they? And then say "go buy our discs to be just like Paul U, our 2nd place finisher!!" Come on, they spun it best they could politician style to make the best of the situation.:popcorn:

How was his sponsor supposed to reply to what happened? By saying their sponsored professional made a mistake costing him the win and he sucks and so do they? And then say "go buy our discs to be just like Paul U, our 2nd place finisher!!" Come on, they spun it best they could politician style to make the best of the situation.:popcorn:
I wrote part of a play illustrating exactly what happened. Did you see it?

:D

TDs often do not like the collusion part; at least some I've talked to. But, it's fairly common practice. The more insidious thing is missing a putt during a skins match; which happens fairly often as well; when guys who know each other give the wink wink. This is Bobby Knight style though; and should be applauded by those who wish the sport to be more dog eat dog. You can't argue on both sides of the fence. :) All of these things are related to decisions made by those involved. Our world/capitalist orientated system, encourages winning at all costs; regardless of the detriment to some involved on the periphery; i.e. out sourcing jobs for instance. Those of you condemning Paul in this instance are hopefully gainfully employed at the moment, because this is the sort of attitude that results in our current economy (though, this is, of course, very much an oversimplification of the issues; and I support out sourcing for deeper reasons i.e. those folks are even farther down the food chain, and need to make a living too). Our world is in a big amount of turmoil at the moment, and person's making strong personal decisions (again I'm probably giving way too much credit for what is simply a disc golf shot), whether they be right or wrong, are at least forcing themselves to encounter alternative thought processes. There are not many, though, thankfully there are many more; who are exploring this. Athletics, in general is much less Bobby Knight than it was 10 years ago. Though, at the top level, this is not so (refer to comments about needing to be 6'7" to be a pro athlete).

*As I am obviously headed toward going off the deep end again, I will end my participation in this thread*
*Discpicable should be in this evening to champion the dog eat dog style (it is interesting that my view of Libertarianism is nearly opposite of his...he looks at it from a ideological stand point, based on business/I believe/finances; whereas I look at it as a system where one can make decisions for oneself; without being forced to adhere to a dog eat dog style....anyone notice that dog eat dog refers to an animalistic style of behavior? )*

I dont think this was mentioned, but in the end don't you think someone else (perhaps even GG) earlier in the round had a "robbed putt" or a bad break of some sort. The only reason this is being discussed is because it happened ont he final hole, the final putt of the tournament. People would be throwing putts under the basket many times during a tournament if they did it for all "robbed putts".

I don't think he should have done it, but at the same time that was his choice, so I am not criticizing him. I wouldnt have done it, but I also probably wouldnt automatically split the cash . . . unless I was approached . . . I as the underdog would never ask to split the cash with someone who was better than me. I would want to beat them on my own merit and if that happened because someone got a bad break on their last hole . . . well so be it. It might have happened to me at an earlier point int he tournament. Perhaps I would feel differently if I was a touring professional disc golfer trying to make a living.

I dont think this was mentioned, but in the end don't you think someone else (perhaps even GG) earlier in the round had a "robbed putt" or a bad break of some sort. The only reason this is being discussed is because it happened ont he final hole, the final putt of the tournament. People would be throwing putts under the basket many times during a tournament if they did it for all "robbed putts".

I don't think he should have done it, but at the same time that was his choice, so I am not criticizing him. I wouldnt have done it, but I also probably wouldnt automatically split the cash . . . unless I was approached . . . I as the underdog would never ask to split the cash with someone who was better than me. I would want to beat them on my own merit and if that happened because someone got a bad break on their last hole . . . well so be it. It might have happened to me at an earlier point int he tournament. Perhaps I would feel differently if I was a touring professional disc golfer trying to make a living.

I said this early in the thread,,, when I got to the VPO on Sunday, the first putt I saw was a +30' from Uli that looked great but cut thru. (instep)

I don't think it was brought up yet... GG's 21st birthday was Tuesday, early present from Uli...

while i wouldn't have done it myself i have a hard time with the folks who judge what was a basically selfless act (purse being split regardless- there is always something on the line when you compete at a high level) as stupidity/idiocy/whatever. paul made the choice, it was his choice to make. my guess is his parents are proud of it.

I hope these guys splitting the pot square everything with their accountants. Would hate to see the IRS get involved ("You claimed $1250 on your taxes but the PDGA says you got a check for $1500.") Don't want to mess around with the IRS. :gross:

herm.jpg

I've heard that you play to win the game....but I dunno

I didn't read the whole thread but I have hung out with Paul on a few occasions and I can say that he has always been a stand up guy. I wasn't surprised at all when I heard this. The fact is that all those guys at the top of the sport are together often enough that they are friends and sportsmanship is important. I think Paul set a great example of sportsmanship and good will that clearly everyone noticed.

Latest posts