• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why all the Innova Hate?

Yeah, it's a DGCR epidemic! But the funny thing is, on here, for every person who hates something or someone, theres another person who loves it. So it all kind of evens out in the end. No manufacturer is perfect, and most manufacturers have good, solid fanbases either way. Innova and to some extent Discraft, do tend to pick up 99 percent of begginers, but they just have more market penetration.

We are lucky to be in a sport that has such diversity in equipment for how small we really are.

Real talk

Why do I hate Innova? I don't, but I also don't throw their products. First and foremost, I'm a disc junkie and decided to focus on one company (MVP), with other lines to supplement as needed. I did that to help my game and my wallet. The most effective way to cut out a huge swathe of discs is to cut Innova all together.

Also, I didn't stop throwing Innova because discs just happened to mold up differently (Firebird, I'm looking at you), it's because it's simply unacceptable in my mind to knowingly churn out products with the wrong mold pieces on them. I loved PDs and Valks and it was a huge letdown to get a C-PD and three Valks, all with + rims and nothing to identify them as such. Also see Destrulcans, or any of the other dozens of discs on the list of mold irregularities (really, there is a big a** list somewhere on this site).

Besides the fact that a disc that has one mold piece wrong is 33% not the disc you wanted, the quality of their plastic (Blizzard esp) took a nose dive. It has recovered a lot in some areas; Man-birds are flat again and Jolly Launcher plastic is almost a match for Opto.

They remind me a bit of GM in the 70s-90s, who had such a huge market share that they apparently thought they could produce whatever piece of **** they wanted and people would still buy it. We all know how that turned out. And if GM can squander a 46% market share, I'm pretty sure that Innova is fully capable giving up a lot of ground to the Hondas and Toyotas of the disc golf world.

p.s. I can hear your responses now. But consider this:

When MVP put out the FR Shock and it ended up flippy, how did they respond? They immediately took the customer feedback, tweaked the disc a bit, and now it's another gem. What they didn't do is put out a Shock with an Amp mold piece on it and then get all dodgy and defensive when they're called on it.

I'm not just a MVP fanboy, "better quality control than Innova" is a distinction that lots of companies share.

Being a large company is not an excuse for poor quality control. If anything, they should be able to use scale to make more efficient processes, invest in better equipment, train people better, and pull from a larger sample size when doing quality control (which should reduce the relative number of discs that would need to be inspected vs a smaller company)

MVP is ran by a couple ambitious young men, Innova is ran by men who were once young and ambitious. My grade school teachers had it figured out, A's for effort.

yall better recognize. nothin but the best. innova for life.

people hate on innova because they've bought in to all these new trendy companies on promises of consistency and continued quality. then when they get there and they've invested so much time and money in to these trendy new discs they realize they're in the exact same boat they were in before when they had innova discs.

... so they hate, because they've got to blame somebody for their own problems.

Lat comes to mind here.
We they started they made almost all overstable discs geared towards competitive players with promises of super consistancy.
Now they make floaty, flippy stuff geared towards eye shoppers while simply giving up on the consistancy thing.....none of which i blame them for.

No hate for Innova here even though I only currently throw only one of their molds. I threw mostly Innova for years but I got tired of paying a bunch of money just to get a Roc or Teebird I liked to throw. I tried my first Latitude disc in 2008, which was the Core, and I just fell in love with it. Eventually I started trying some of their other molds because I was tired of hunting down discs and I wanted to throw stuff I could go out and buy at normal retail prices whenever I needed a new disc. If Innova molds would have stayed the same from each run I would still be throwing them today probably. When I go buy a disc now I know about what I am gonna get instead of wondering which of the 20 different variations of one mold I am buying.
I throw pretty much all Lat/WS these days because I just love the plastic and I have found molds that work really well for me. Even though there are a few companies discs who I yet to try I believe that every manufacturer has some good discs. I am gonna throw what works for me regardless of it being trendy or the newest discs out there. It just so happens that Lat/WS fits the bill for me right now.
I think the best thing about being an unsponsored am is getting to throw any manufacturers stuff you want. If you explore around you should be able to find that "perfect bag" for yourself.

who is the #1 MVP thower? I've never seen a pro use them besides Graham Russell. is he #1?

1z1r2ir.gif

Innova will still be there, copying fads from other companies.

copying what? overmolding. If you read the Atlas thread that put fanboys in their place, you would know MVP was not the first to do that.

I carry Lat 64, Innova, Discraft, Dynamic Discs, Discmania, and occassionally MVP and Prodiscus in my bag. I am no pro, so I do not need to be loyal or hate anyone. I keep what I like and trade off what I don't. No hate here for anyone....except Quest and Halex

Last edited:
who is the #1 MVP thower? I've never seen a pro use them besides Graham Russell. is he #1?

It wouldn't be fair to the other players if a pro used the MVP lineup. It'd literally be domination from the start.

Switch to mvp, Mcbeth. You'll then understand. ;)

Latest posts