• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you watch a local tournament (as a spectator) you weren't playing in?

I play about a dozen or so sanctioned tournaments all over Florida every year, and this year, the one closest to my house (Barnett Park Championships) I had to bail due to family things going on for Sunday. There's no way I could spectate.. it would kill me not to be playing. Soo, I sponsored a hole anyways and me and a couple friends are going to take a day trip up to Ocala to play their courses instead on Saturday. Its the least I can do to keep my mind off how ticked off I am that I had to withdrawal from the tourney on my home course so I can cook a big BBQ for my inlaws that aren't showing up until late Sunday afternoon!! Just typing about it makes me angry, but I love my wife and have to pick and choose my battles wisely when it comes to 2-day tournaments.

I've hung out and spotted at another tourney last year that I was next on waitlist, showed up in person but since every single player showed up, I didn't get in.. The real burner was that one player got stupid drunk and was thrown off the course 5 holes into the 1st round... Had that idiot been DQ'd before the round started, I would have been allowed to play! *sigh I received a players pack and had a good time hanging out on the most secluded hole on the course greeting all my friends as they came through. It was mildly entertaining, but I'd certainly rather be playing than watching.

I don't think I could be at a disc golf course and not play. I can barely watch disc golf on youtube without wanting to immediately go play...

I do all the time. I take my Grandson who wants to play in tourneys so we go usually on the last day and follow the lead card. We always ask if it would be OK to follow them and we have never been told no. The guys are very professional and enjoy when my Grandson tells them " Good throw or good putt". He knows when to keep his mouth shut and to speak softly. After they round is done we always thank the players and he even asks some for autographs which brings a smile to the guys. It's a great time to spend with my Grandson.

If i lived sufficiently close to the course, the weather was bearable and I could do something beneficial by being there (even if thats just encouragement) than sure. If Im that close to a course and able bodied, i'd be playing though... :)

I'd only want to watch really, really good players on a really sweet course... that's why I enjoyed spotting on the Toboggan. You get some really good vantage points of great players on a wonderful course.

What if there was a reason for you to come and spectate? Let's say the tourney was full, which is why you can't play, and you were to either play another course, or watch the final round of the tournament.

If spectators got some sort of benefits for their time, like a free throw for a brand new basket, or a chance at cool prizes, or the ability to play side games with the people playing, would that help you come out and watch for a couple hours?

Still no. Same reasons as before.

I live 10 minutes from a course that hosts a National Tourney (Brett Hambrick Memorial) every year, and I haven't gone to watch that so there's no way in hell I'm wasting my time watching anything less. I'd rather go hit another course that will be a little quieter because all the good players are playing in the tourney. Or as others have said, volunteer and get to know guys that way.

I don't want to sound like I'm not interested in watching the BMHO, I was just out of town during the tourney last year. I'd love to see how top notch players attack some of the holes that I struggle with, but you're not really going to see that at a B-tier.

Oh my! A player level snob. So what your telling us is that your playing ability is soooo far above a B level you wouldn't be seen or maybe seeing a good shot or something cool. Remember that lots of real good players drop down levels when they play certain tourny's.

I love watching our local tourney.
I haven't been able to play the tourney the last few years, so I go out and watch the pros.

We get some pretty good players to come out. Last year we had Michael Jo, Barry Schultz, Big Jerm, David Wiggins and Schwebby. So it's fun to watch.

Yep, I'ld go if it were local and I had the free time available. I'm a newbie (playing about 6 months) so I would go to see good players and hopefully come away with some good ideas on what I need to be doing to improve my game.

On a side note; I get a charge out of the guys here who's time is too precious to go watch a local DG tournament but probably plant themselves in front of the boob tube to watch a NFL football game or college basket ball game every chance they get. Then cry "How come the media ignores DG!"

Judging from the galleries at the B-tiers and A-tiers I've competed in, very few of the eager spectators live in my region.

On a side note; I get a charge out of the guys here who's time is too precious to go watch a local DG tournament but probably plant themselves in front of the boob tube to watch a NFL football game or college basket ball game every chance they get. Then cry "How come the media ignores DG!"

Which guys would that be?

Are any of the posters here who say they won't spectate, the same ones who decry the lack of media exposure? I suspect they---we---are more likely the guys who think the holy grail of media exposure isn't the measure of the success of disc golf.

Yes, we would go and watch a local or regional tournament. We have been playing less than a year and have a lot to learn, so it is fun to watch how more-skilled players throw. Hopefully we will improve enough to start playing in tournaments as well.

Oh my! A player level snob. So what your telling us is that your playing ability is soooo far above a B level blah blah blah lots of random BS
LOL, take things out of context much? Or did you just assume I don't know what I'm going to see at the tournament scene IN THE AREA I LIVE? :doh: Or you could just assume that my level of play is why I wouldn't go spectate a low level tournament. I also don't go sit in the stands for random beer league softball games or sand volleyball matches either! Frankly I enjoy participating in all three activities, but watching them is about as exciting as watching flies ****!

Most of the guys who would play in a local B-tier are friendly and approachable and would be willing to give me pointers during recreational matches. This would be more helpful than simply watching them throw the hole.

On the other hand, a National Tournament brings in a large concentration of top level pros who I would enjoy watching make throws that the guys I play with regularly wouldn't even think to try.

So call me a level snob if you want, but I have no interest in spectating any tournament other than a NT. As I said before, I'd rather play or help than simply watch.

Which guys would that be?

Are any of the posters here who say they won't spectate, the same ones who decry the lack of media exposure? I suspect they---we---are more likely the guys who think the holy grail of media exposure isn't the measure of the success of disc golf.

Oops, sorry if I struck a nerve.

Out of curiosity, what would you say defines the measure of the success of disc golf? Is it large purses for tournaments? You won't get them until you get lots of sponsors and you won't get lots of sponsors until you get media coverage.

I love the sport. I love the mobility of it and the relatively low cost associated with it. I can toss my small Fade Lite bag in the work van and play a quick round at lunch or after work at a local park in several of the towns I work in. And best of all I don't have to pay $25 or more in greens fees to do it.

I would love to see DG get so popular that every city park that has room for a course lets someone build one just like you see soccer fields, baseball/softball fields and basketball courts in most public parks today. How we get their I don't know for sure but I would think media coverage would go a long way toward that goal.

Last edited: