• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Area of the U.S. for DG

Best Area in the U.S. for DG

• Total voters
q:You know what state is ABSOLUTELY the best state and area to play is?
a:The one that you are currently playing disc golf in!

Because the courses are just that good here :D

Not to mention if some snow or high summer temps are a problem for somebody to go outside and play, then they probably aren't from this area to begin with. While you're at it why not get rid of the 2-3 months of heavy winds and rain.

The courses in OH may well be the best, but they are not in the best area for courses.....and I think that is the most fun to talk about surrounding the topic of this thread/poll.

Areas with the best climate, terrain and flora are the best areas for courses. I personally like Appalachia for those reasons so I voted for lower Appalachia due to climate. I grew up in NW CT in the Appalachians and the NC (& WV and VA) Appalachians are remarkably similar in feel.....just better weather. I have not spent time in eastern OH, but I have in western PA and that is good stuff too. Never been to Hawaii, but the pictures make me think you could make some mean courses in top-shelf beautiful areas (if money and politics were no objective).

The only course on your Texas list that I really like is Bear Creek. Maybe you didn't. looks like maybe you haven't hit the best ones out there.

I couldn't bring myself to vote for my region simply because courses are really spread out around the region. I have only played in 11 states, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find a state with as many quality courses as Kentucky. Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi have some great courses as well, but they are very spread out.

While the argument of quality over quantity may be the rationale for some in this discussion, I think this topic lends to quantity over quality. To me the best area is one where there are many options in the area. Here we just play the local course unless we have time for a day trip.

The courses in OH may well be the best, but they are not in the best area for courses.....and I think that is the most fun to talk about surrounding the topic of this thread/poll.

Areas with the best climate, terrain and flora are the best areas for courses. I personally like Appalachia for those reasons so I voted for lower Appalachia due to climate. I grew up in NW CT in the Appalachians and the NC (& WV and VA) Appalachians are remarkably similar in feel.....just better weather. I have not spent time in eastern OH, but I have in western PA and that is good stuff too. Never been to Hawaii, but the pictures make me think you could make some mean courses in top-shelf beautiful areas (if money and politics were no objective).

We just have a different idea as to what makes an area best for disc golf, and thats cool. I don't really take climate into account that much as I'm used to playing in it all so for me the priority is on course quality. I do care about the terrain though as I prefer elevation changes and wooded courses.

And to be fair I haven't played outside of the midwest yet so I am just talking up Ohio ... well cause I'm proud of where I'm from I guess :)

We just have a different idea as to what makes an area best for disc golf, and thats cool. I don't really take climate into account that much as I'm used to playing in it all so for me the priority is on course quality. I do care about the terrain though as I prefer elevation changes and wooded courses.

And to be fair I haven't played outside of the midwest yet so I am just talking up Ohio ... well cause I'm proud of where I'm from I guess :)

I agree, go OHIO!

The only course on your Texas list that I really like is Bear Creek. Maybe you didn't. looks like maybe you haven't hit the best ones out there.

Exactly...I haven't played a lot of super great courses in TX...go there on business from time to time and play what I can...I played the private courses between SA and Austin (Circle R) but, for some reason, they didn't do much for me...people seem to really love them though--

That's the great thing about DG...we all have our preferences and even legitimate 4-5 disc courses may not really do much for you...I've had that happen to me a few times, even where I review a course high because it has all the necessary components of a great course, I just didn't enjoy it too much... GIles Run in VA is like that--awesome course... just isn't the type I REALLY enjoy

Exactly...I haven't played a lot of super great courses in TX...go there on business from time to time and play what I can...I played the private courses between SA and Austin (Circle R) but, for some reason, they didn't do much for me...people seem to really love them though--

That's the great thing about DG...we all have our preferences and even legitimate 4-5 disc courses may not really do much for you...I've had that happen to me a few times, even where I review a course high because it has all the necessary components of a great course, I just didn't enjoy it too much... GIles Run in VA is like that--awesome course... just isn't the type I REALLY enjoy
I think we disagree on what a review is. I feel like it is my totally subjective opinion so if I don't enjoy the course it will not rate high.

I think we disagree on what a review is. I feel like it is my totally subjective opinion so if I don't enjoy the course it will not rate high.

I think that is true most of the time...but there are cases (for me, Giles Run) where it is a legitimate great course but I didn't really enjoy it that much because I don't have a big arm to bomb the huge drives and that course leans toward that...

But I do rate some courses higher than other folks do because they are awesome experiences for me...like Lucky Mud in WA, Horning's Hideout in OR and Rosedale Down Under in KS.

Since I travel so much, I like reviews that help me discern if a course will play to my strengths and likes -- for example on a review for Liberty Park in TN a couple of people listed the steep terrain and the technical straight drives and tons of trees as a con and I thought, "I have to play there".

I try to write reviews that let people judge based on their style and likes--even if they are different than mine...occassionally I'll even be honest about my very biased filters :) For me, I try to blend a little subjective (easy) with objective (harder) in my reviews...but mostly they are pretty subjective...

Next time in town play the refurbished Circle C, and East Metro Park (Manor) if you haven't yet, they're pretty impressive.

There's some projects underway that will improve both Mary Moore Searight (pads and erosion control) and Bart (partial redesign & improvements), followed by Pease so those Austin favorites should get some well deserved attention.

Next time in town play the refurbished Circle C, and East Metro Park (Manor) if you haven't yet, they're pretty impressive.

There's some projects underway that will improve both Mary Moore Searight (pads and erosion control) and Bart (partial redesign & improvements), followed by Pease so those Austin favorites should get some well deserved attention.

Thanks for the head's up...it's been a few years since I've been to Austin...been to Houston and Dallas mostly in the last few years...

Will be in Dallas again in a couple of weeks

The place with the biggest and baddest elevation changes, of course you wouldn't want every hole to have huge changes, but you get my drift.

as for the meth? The farther North i go the more meth i see. I was in MN for a wedding cant rembere the city but it was up where the mississippi starts and there was meth warning stickers on buildings "Meth Watch" is what it said and had some phone number. I lived in TX for 10 years never cam across it. maybe im just lucky

I have been told that Wintson is supposed to be the meth capitol in the world. The port city of coos bay is the channel of the meth travel

I have played Manor once, i thought it was the best course i have ever played. If you go off of the fairway, even by an inch you will be covered in catctus needles. i fell trying to recover an errant shot and had little hairy cactus needles in my hand that were impossible to get out. If i were writing a review, or should i say if any of you were writing a review of this experience, would you rate it lower for the tough shule? or does the beauty and difficulty of the course count most towards your rating? i am just curious, im still working out in my mind what i want to base my reviews and ratings on, thanks.

you see this is confusing to me....do you mean that in your review you would explain why you did not enjoy the course?....I have had rounds on lots of courses that I think are great courses that I did not enjoy, I may just not have been in the mood for golf, tired or just not feeling it that day....should I base my review on those feelings? Maybe if a course was a par 64, a monsterously difficult pro caliber golf course and you had a pdga rating of 850ish and this course ate you alive, are you justified rating the course low because you are not good enough or dont have the skill level yet to fully appreciate and enjoy the course? And I apologize if that sounds accusatory, its not meant to be, I am just trying to understand what you mean by 'not enjoying the course'. thanks

Let me give an example, the Rockwall course here in the Metroplex was builit by John Houck, I HATE THIS COURSE! i hate it becuase I suck when I play it, its hard and I hate sucking. but I consider it the best course in the Metroplex, and that has nothing to do with how much I enjoy playing it. I play it to get better, the day I conquer that course will be the day I enjoy it. until then I will continue to curse Houcks name everytime i play that course :D

Latest posts