• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think Val got burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you feel like it has the same taste poured into a glass? I feel like it really isn't the beer that tastes like aluminum but your lips on the can itself.

OMG, I committed a beer faux paus, I missed your reply. You are correct, transferring to glass, imo, makes a world of difference. I've been drinking a canned beverage out of Austin, only comes in cans, and it's quite nice in a glass. But, um, never at a tournament or while caddying.

Count me on the side of those that think there was a better solution than DQ.

I have read every self-righteous, rules-abiding post and still don't agree that DQ was the best solution.
(So please don't re-state them because you're convinced that you are right and I MUST be uninformed.)
I also recognize that the TD had the right to do what he did.

Having the right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
Because "Mercy is better than judgment."
A short whisper should have sufficed to correct the issue, IMHO.
Again, my time my opinion. Others are welcome to disagree.

Last, I applaud Val's mature and gracious way of handling the whole affair.
Count me a bigger fan than before.
I might have to go out and buy a Val touring disc.

Interesting take. I am going to try it right now. I'll let you know how the pepsi challenge goes.

I think he's right. Spent a few days in Birmingham last year for work. Really enjoyed a local IPA on the first night. Went back to that spot the second night and saw it poured from a can. I was amazed, as cans had always tasted funny. Thought they were just short pouring the pints, as i'm used to pints being to the rim, a full 16oz. I loved seeing that! Good beer too!

Last edited:
Ricky has a Kombucha sponsor.

Does he ever carry a bottle of it during play?

Possession of Alcohol!

Also, speaking of Ricky, did you see him making light of his foot fault calls on the video posted to Facebook?

Always great to see a top pro making fun of the rules and those who call him out on infractions, good look for him.

The caddy in question on 26A

The caddy in question on 26A (last hole before Top of the World.

Attachments

• sj.jpg
    sj.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 156
Outside of the nature of the target, the object we propel at the target, and the means of propulsion, the games are almost identical, so there's no reason not to use it as a resource.
We borrowed the word "golf" and added a modifier to it. We share the objective of moving an object from a starting point to a finishing point, in as few plays as possible. Some formats carry over well.

Other than that, no, not even close.

I also recognize that the TD had the right to do what he did.

More like he had no choice to do what he did. Based on everything I've read, it was brought to his attention, due to the tier of the event, dq was mandatory. The TD was truly dammed if he did, dammed if he didn't.

Let's be honest here...the park has a no alcohol policy to begin with, abide by the law and Val is giving Paige a run for her money.

She's such a sweetheart. Seems a little harsh. Wasn't she in 1st place? How about a 1 stroke penalty and a warning? Geeze

Sooo, we should just be making up rules and penalties out of whole cloth at one of the biggest and most prestigious events on the schedule?

Rules, and rulings, should be objective and dispassionate. It shouldn't matter who's on the receiving end of the punishment for a broken rule. Whether it was Val or Cat or Paul or Ricky or Bradley Williams or JohnE McCray or Joe Anonymous, the ruling should be the same.

Ricky has a Kombucha sponsor.

Does he ever carry a bottle of it during play?

Possession of Alcohol!

Also, speaking of Ricky, did you see him making light of his foot fault calls on the video posted to Facebook?

Always great to see a top pro making fun of the rules and those who call him out on infractions, good look for him.

#notmyworldchamp

As I see it the rules are very clear that a DQ was mandatory.

The bigger issue of the whole thing though is the ban on alcohol at that park. Think about how much time and effort goes in to making this event happen, on public land no less, and that it is a giant billboard for the sport. The last thing anyone wants are police or park authorities being called to such an event, even for what is likely a simple citation. Events like that have to be strict, so they can maintain a good relation with the park and local government so the event can happen again. The organizers and TD just cannot gloss over anyone ignoring the law like that. It could potentially spur the relationship with the local park authorities and jeopardize the future of the event and maybe even the course. The risk is just too high to let it go.

Sucks she got DQ for her caddy's actions, but that's the right call all day. Everyone knew the rules, knew the park restrictions, and both were broken. She will live to play another day, and likely be more aware of her and her caddy's actions.

As I see it the rules are very clear that a DQ was mandatory.

It blows my mind that anyone can say the above statement, even after all this discussion. It's clear the TD had the authority to make the DQ call, but it was not mandatory, based on strictly on the wording of the relevant rules. The question is whether or not the TD *should have* made the call he did.

It blows my mind that anyone can say the above statement, even after all this discussion. It's clear the TD had the authority to make the DQ call, but it was not mandatory, based on strictly on the wording of the relevant rules. The question is whether or not the TD *should have* made the call he did.

With all due respect..how are you interpreting this rule?

"Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player's scorecard is submitted is not allowed. Such possession shall result in immediate disqualification at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier or higher."

With all due respect..how are you interpreting this rule?

"Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player's scorecard is submitted is not allowed. Such possession shall result in immediate disqualification at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier or higher."

Yes, that is if the player possesses the alcohol. In this case, the caddie is alleged to have possessed the alcohol*. And the rule related to that states that the player "may" be disqualified for something the caddie does.

*Val contends that the can was empty, which seems relevant to me.

We borrowed the word "golf" and added a modifier to it. We share the objective of moving an object from a starting point to a finishing point, in as few plays as possible. Some formats carry over well.

Other than that, no, not even close.

Do you really think that our caddie rules, provisional rules, relief rules, OB rules, lost disc rules, order of play, improvement of lie, etc. are all that different from ball golf? There are obviously some nuances specific to disc golf, but outside of that, the intent of all these rules are almost identical.

I honestly don't know how someone could come to your conclusion unless they were completely unfamiliar with ball golf. You can pretty much have played ball golf, and have zero knowledge of disc golf rules, and play properly within the rules with just an explanation of the stance, lie, and throw specifics.

Your reading comprehension is ****. The DQ was MANDATORY under PDGA rules. I wont even bother to copy & paste the rule because that's already been done in this thread, lol!

Just for the late crowd, the ambiguity that some are referring to in the rues comes not from the player conduct section, but from the caddy section:

Players choosing to use a caddie will be solely responsible for their caddie's conduct from the two minute warning until the player's card is turned in. Misconduct by a caddie may subject both the player and caddie to disqualification and/or suspension.

The word "may" implies a discretionary aspect to the penalty, at least to some who read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts