• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

If you look at the approved list, the TL is going to have a later approval date. The back story is that the TL, EL, and FL were all developed at the time of CE. The CE discs were so much more damned overstable that Innova was tweaking the molds to try to offset that, thus the L molds. They were just sold as TeeBirds, Eagles and Firebirds so they didn't need approval. So they weren't.

Fast forward a few years and the formula was X molds in DX, Champ and Star. The L molds were sold in Pro. I know, I know, there are exceptions to the rule so don't take that as gospel. Anyway, Innova announced that Pro plastic was going away (couldn't find a supplier for the pellets) and the L molds that were in production would be converted to Star. The problem was that there were already Star TeeBirds and Firebirds (along with the Starfire, which had a popular Pro L version by then.) So they actually had to call the FL a FL instead of just calling it a Pro Firebird.

Then they found a supplier, Pro didn't go away BUT they went ahead with a Star TL, FL and SL anyway.

That was all fine and dandy until Discraft called Innova's bluff at a US Amateur one year. Once Innova was selling a TL as a TL, it needed approval to be legal. It wasn't approved, it had always skated under the TeeBird approval. So Star TL's, FL's and SL's were all suddenly illegal for PDGA play and Innova had to get the molds approved. So if you look at the approved disc list, the listed date for the TL is several years after the TL actually started being produced.

If you look at the approved list, the TL is going to have a later approval date. The back story is that the TL, EL, and FL were all developed at the time of CE. The CE discs were so much more damned overstable that Innova was tweaking the molds to try to offset that, thus the L molds. They were just sold as TeeBirds, Eagles and Firebirds so they didn't need approval. So they weren't.

Fast forward a few years and the formula was X molds in DX, Champ and Star. The L molds were sold in Pro. I know, I know, there are exceptions to the rule so don't take that as gospel. Anyway, Innova announced that Pro plastic was going away (couldn't find a supplier for the pellets) and the L molds that were in production would be converted to Star. The problem was that there were already Star TeeBirds and Firebirds (along with the Starfire, which had a popular Pro L version by then.) So they actually had to call the FL a FL instead of just calling it a Pro Firebird.

Then they found a supplier, Pro didn't go away BUT they went ahead with a Star TL, FL and SL anyway.

That was all fine and dandy until Discraft called Innova's bluff at a US Amateur one year. Once Innova was selling a TL as a TL, it needed approval to be legal. It wasn't approved, it had always skated under the TeeBird approval. So Star TL's, FL's and SL's were all suddenly illegal for PDGA play and Innova had to get the molds approved. So if you look at the approved disc list, the listed date for the TL is several years after the TL actually started being produced.
As far as I am concerned, you are as close to gospel as I have seen when it comes to old innova for sure! I appreciate the knowledge as always. Seems between like 2003 and 2008ish there was ALOT of noteworthy things going on at Innova. Post CE era was a fiasco for a bit.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Anyone know what Innova Star disc this is? The bright yellow disc for comparison is a Tern. In case you can't make it out, the stamp reads, "Cravine Vapor PRESENTS THE 3RD ANNUAL DISC TIL DAWN OPEN Leander, TX April 26-27, 2014"

opIGaU6.jpg

2YkwoKP.jpg

IGrNbbO.jpg

Yeah, I dunno. I'm really not good at ID'ing discs, but one of the more easy to define characteristics of this disc is the extremely flat rim. You can see on the profile pic how the Tern's rim starts to curve as it gets closer to the center, but this disc's rim is sheered super flat. The rim width seems to be equal to or ever so slightly wider than the Tern.

Not sure what that means. But it could possibly be a Vulcan. It's understable enough, although that could be due to it being beat in.

There were a few runs of Destroyers that were around about the same time the Vulcan came out. They had a similar kind of bevel to the wing as the Vulcan and Archon does. Hence the term Destrulcan.;)

I would have said Vulcan but the one I had I remember it being pretty flat in the flight plate and that looked more domey like the destrulcan a friend of mine has.

The QJLS is definitely CE.
You have two "proofs" for Millennium CE
One is the "pdga appoved" stamp and the other is the two-color bubble stamp.
That there puppy is worth some money to the right person, especially if it's in great shape.
Don't throw it, just sell it to a collector and buy a few TL's or Eagle L's or even some new Sirius JLS's

That there puppy is worth some money to the right person, especially if it's in great shape.
Don't throw it, just sell it to a collector and buy a few TL's or Eagle L's or even some new Sirius JLS's

I second this guys opinion. Yes Millennium did when new a CE like plastic by using the left over of Innova CE pellets. Innova had come out with by that time the really old Pro now Champion plastic. I am not sure why the name changed on Original Pro plastic?

Last edited:
The two-color stamp on the QJLS is the give on CE. The "appoved" typo in the stamp lived on after CE. At any rate, my understanding is that QJLS should be CE.

Thanks! I did throw it and man! Gonna be hard to sell! It has the smoothest hyzer flip, it has the perfect stability for such a shot!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Anyone know what Innova Star disc this is? The bright yellow disc for comparison is a Tern. In case you can't make it out, the stamp reads, "Cravine Vapor PRESENTS THE 3RD ANNUAL DISC TIL DAWN OPEN Leander, TX April 26-27, 2014"

opIGaU6.jpg

2YkwoKP.jpg

IGrNbbO.jpg

Anyone else have any clue? I'm really bombing this disc. It's pretty understable, but not sure if that's its natural flight or because it's beat in. I'd rate it probably 12-13 speed, 5-6 glide, -3 turn, 1 fade.

If it was me and I found that disc and I threw it and it flew like you described, I'd be pretty confident that it was a Vulcan.

It's either that, or it's an Archon or a Destrulcan/TeeDevil. I wouldn't be able to tell those three discs apart from a picture, but all three have that top.

What disc is this?

I know this disc is a putter made by Innova, and it feels very gummy. I have really enjoyed this disc as a driving putter (I throw it around 200 ft) but it is starting to be come less stable than I would like. I would like to get another but since I found this one I do not know what it is. I would really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 2E0F9493-B6B2-4BB3-92DB-08138F4322E2.jpg
    2E0F9493-B6B2-4BB3-92DB-08138F4322E2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 954E71F8-9A5B-438B-BAD7-D5F305FCF20E.jpg
    954E71F8-9A5B-438B-BAD7-D5F305FCF20E.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 36
  • CB85F004-B2A0-4BAB-B2EC-DA142980C322.jpg
    CB85F004-B2A0-4BAB-B2EC-DA142980C322.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 33