• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is concrete overrated: Poll

Are concrete tees overrated?

• yes

Votes: 67 23.9%
  • no

Votes: 213 76.1%

• Total voters
nice thing about concrete is that even tho they get slippy in some conditions they are a consistent surface. a major flaw it the slipperness and the impact on the body.

rubber teepads are a consistent surface as well and boast added traction. altho they too can get slippery on certain conditions. one of their major flaws is their inconsistency in installation. when not framed and the ground not leveled they end up sucking very quickly. i think thats why so many people dislike them.

i prefer the rubber pads. i find my accuracy and distance are much more consistent on them. but to each their own

If grass had the durability of concrete, I'd prefer to tee off on grass all the time. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I've always wondered how well surfaces like cinder track or Field Turf would work as teepads.

The Oaks just south of Chicago in Mokena has concrete pads with the rubber on top. While they are easier on your knees they get a little slick when wet.

The only people that don't prefer concrete pads are forehand players and guys that live in warm climates. All other pads suck for the rest of us.

I'm in the process of developing a new course in California. We're still in the planning stage with the parks department, and in our proposal we outlined launch pads (rubber tees) in the budget. However, I heard (from this site actually...shows how this site is valuable) about this product from a company called "Enviroseal", which allegedly you mix with the existing soil to create a hard surface that's good for +- 10 years.

Does anyone have any actual disc golf experience with this product? They use it in the military and has a psi rating of 1700 lbs. The company told me that the product should work for DG tees, and the cost for 18 5'x10' tee pads would be about 2 grand: less than rubber tees and by far cheaper than concrete. Furthermore, it is apparently environmentally friendly (no VOCs), easy to apply, is very quick to cure, and when finished will look much more natural than either the other two options.

So the only question to me is, how will it actually work as a tee?
I asked them for a trial size to make one tee pad, but haven't heard back.

Links: http://www.enviroseal.com/m-10.htm

PM me if you've had experience...

I've heard of shredded recycled tires as another option, though I have yet to see this as a teeing surface anywhere. I've seen it on playgrounds and walked on it, and it sure does feel like walking on a fat cherub's behind, but I wasn't able to ascertain if it's make a good teeing material. Anyone know about this?

concrete is the way to go! rubber is good too, better than dirt but doesnt compare to concrete. rubber teepads will become uneven in the front of teepad due to people's run up and stomp with the front foot. My home course (La Raza in San Jose) is beginning to have that problem and soon we will have to either rip up and re-level or just upgrade to concrete. I'm hoping for the latter.

Oh rutted natural is the worst, unmaintained is terrible but I think well maintained and properly installed rubber are better choices. Trees fall and fairways change...concrete is forever...think about that.

I like concrete but carpet or turf covered crush is fine. Uncovered crush needs too much maintenance which often isn't done.

You guys have peaked my interest in driving range mats laid on traffic bond that is an intruiging idea, but my guess is they will wear quickly, say as quickly as a 9 iron being brushed against it every day for a few years. But it is worth a shot and will provide the cushion some of you desire.

Play in the rainy season on our dirt pads??
You go first.
Pardon me, I didn't mean to laugh.................... much.
More often I play off to the side, on the Eucalyptus bark and leaves. but that's the Local.
I love concrete pads. My boots stick, no matter how muddy.
You don't need much for a 'one step'!

Well laid concrete is superior to rubber in my opinion. I'd choose durability over transferability when it comes to pads.

I would prefer to tee off on nice grass tees like the ball golfers do however in order to do that we would have pay a greens fee as you would need constant maintenance.

Ball golfers have raised tees so that they don't puddle up. However my pivot would tear up those pretty grass tees in no time.

Last edited:
The only people that don't prefer concrete pads are forehand players and guys that live in warm climates. All other pads suck for the rest of us.

This is one FH player that definately prefers concrete to all others. Much better for both planting and pushing off if you ask me. The extra traction is a lot better for my gimpy knees. One surface I absolutely will not use is gravel. I'll down a couple of 40 ozers if I want to feel unstable ;)

Carpet remnants work surprisingly well if you aren't allowed to pour or can't afford concrete. Artificial turf is even better.

without a doubt. safety and functionality can be had in any number of different types of tees that are less hard on the body to use over time.

I agree. Also, concrete tees, when wet, are not fun to try to throw off of. I'll lay a towel down on the box to keep from slipping and that helps me out a lot.
I'm not sure what type of box would be better when wet though.
I prefer to wear cleats and tee off on grass as opposed to a wet concrete box.

^I saw cleat marks all over Chavez Ridge the other day on the paths. Those people were on to something. . . .

concrete provides the safest, most consistent, and most level conditions of any teepad in all types of weather.

therefore, they are highly underrated in my opinion.

I voted no. I've played a lot of different surfaces wet and concrete is still the best grip in those conditions. Gravel is horrible, feet sink in. Hard to get a good push off because your foot just sinks in. Sand is the worst, whoever thought to put a big circle of sand for a teepad??? Flypads (rubber) are my second favorite, but they are usually laid on natural ground so they become rutted and uneven. Dirt, great when they are maintained, horrible in wet weather. Mud is not fun to tee off in, so is falling when teeing off. I like well maintained brick, and it's easier to remove than concrete.

Latest posts