• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tangent

The speed of a disc has nothing to do with how fast you throw it. They are independent factors.

agree 10000%

never said that, sorry if you think i was saying that.

the lower the speed a disc is, the less speed required for that discs HSS to take effect, that's what i was getting at.

Speed is relatively how fast the disc will fly through the air.

Too late for edit...

For example (AndyJB still,) I've had a similar experience so far with the Vector. With my "standard" mid throw, fan grip, say 75-85% power, it flies like a beefy OS mid, even into head winds. But, into the same wind (this happened yesterday) if I try to yank it harder, with a power grip, it was turning over on me.

The only time I have turned a Vector is when I have OATed the crap out of it. Full power, power grip, no problem as long as my throw is clean.

It's seems to me that a lot of the MVP molds let you know when you are not throwing well.

The only time I have turned a Vector is when I have OATed the crap out of it. Full power, power grip, no problem as long as my throw is clean.

This and MVP has made me throw nose down to get the glide, if you are getting the nose down you might be letting your wrist snap too far. I burn my FR Vector like that all the time because I want more power and the disc is so stable.

Think about the axe analogy from the video on "More Snap" (?) video. The weight of the disc is directly opposite your hand, weighted more like a hatchet than a perfectly round object. If the weight is not in line with your arm motion at release it will torque over. The fan grip is keeping you from grabbing the disc too tightly and it is naturally releasing with your arm motion. If you want more snap grab the outside of the disc instead of the front of the disc, and load your wrist before you throw don't snap late. Just a guess buddy.

Last edited:
Just played my first ever, one disc round. My disc of choice was the Tangent. It was breezy, with winds at around 10-15 mph. Playing a one disc round was a pretty fun experience. I fully realized that you really only need a few discs to play this game.

Here are my findings on the Tangent:

It putts really well. I was hitting all my usual putts, and barely even missed my Ion. Even though it's a mid, it has a very putter like feel.

It is, as my brother in law said tonight, a "heat seeker." On my better throws, it was very straight, with just a smidge of turn at around 200 feet.

It'll handle any line. Hyzers - no prob. Straight - like a dream. Annys - "Easy peasy, yep and easy." (1000 interwebz if you know what movie that's from)

For being a stable/understable disc, it handled the wind well. I never play in the wind, so it affects me more than others, but the disc itself was not the problem. I did have a couple clean throws into the headwind, and it held the line fine.

It has no glide, IF, you don't give it snap. I said in a Comet thread, that the Comet "loves to fly." The Tangent does not. I found that it was anything but effortless to throw. On the couple of throws I got good snap on, it was like the disc turned itself on, and flew completely differently. I, personally don't have good snap, so I struggled a bit to get good distance out of it. My max throw today was probably around 250.

Like its older cousin, the Comet, it shows form flaws well. On a clean throw, it holds the line perfectly. On a wrist rolled throw, it'll let you know about it in a hurry. I had a few of those today also.

All in all, the Tangent is what everyone has said it to be. I would gladly play another round with only this disc. I left alot of throws on the course today, and I'm eager to get them back.

I will just repeat what had already been said. The disc is amazing. It constantly reminds me to use more snap. Still want to play a one disc round.

I bought a tangent as soon as they came out because off all the great reviews and hype and I'm also kinda turning into an MVP fan boy. So I was really looking forward to it but as much as I want to love it, it's just not working out for me? I've got some great anny's with it but so far for me, that's all it's good for. Everyone says how great it is at perfectly straight shots but I haven't been able to do that once yet, it always wants to do a slow gradual turn and glide.

It's obviously me not the disc but not sure what i'm doing wrong? probably OAT and not enough snap? For now though the axis is much easier to keep straight and I also find it much easier to hyzer flip an opto fuse for a straight line?

thoughts and/or suggestions?

I bought a tangent as soon as they came out because off all the great reviews and hype and I'm also kinda turning into an MVP fan boy. So I was really looking forward to it but as much as I want to love it, it's just not working out for me? I've got some great anny's with it but so far for me, that's all it's good for. Everyone says how great it is at perfectly straight shots but I haven't been able to do that once yet, it always wants to do a slow gradual turn and glide.

It's obviously me not the disc but not sure what i'm doing wrong? probably OAT and not enough snap? For now though the axis is much easier to keep straight and I also find it much easier to hyzer flip an opto fuse for a straight line?

What happens if you throw your Tangent like your Fuse? I'm assuming it holds the hyzer instead of flipping? If that's the case it's just a matter of dialing in the amount of hyzer angle it needs to flatten and not turn. This will take a little practice, especially if you haven't used that particular degree of hyzer on your release before with another disc.

What happens if you throw your Tangent like your Fuse? I'm assuming it holds the hyzer instead of flipping? If that's the case it's just a matter of dialing in the amount of hyzer angle it needs to flatten and not turn. This will take a little practice, especially if you haven't used that particular degree of hyzer on your release before with another disc.

Yeah it holds the hyzer and doesn't flip up and go straight, or with just a touch of hyzer it will do the slow gradual turn and end up way right of my target. I guess it just need more practice to dial it in, but for some reason I was expecting it to go dead straigh if thrown level or maybe just a touch of hyzer? My fuse doesn't seem near as touchy as the tangent.

How are you guys throwing it to get the super straight shots? flat,touch of hyzer?

Anything under 70% or so power I generally toss it pretty flat, if it's closer to full driving power I give it some hyzer. Not a ton, but some...

Anything under 70% or so power I generally toss it pretty flat, if it's closer to full driving power I give it some hyzer. Not a ton, but some...

Thanks Mike C, So i guess it's just a matter of getting it dialled in. Would you say it's pretty sensitive to OAT? more so then the axis,vector or volt which I have far less issues throwing? (also thanks for all your greta video's and contributions on this site!)

Does anyone without a monster arm and maybe a newer player like myself have similar issues with the tangent?

Ha, this is actually kind of funny. I have the exact opposite problem. I wanted mine to do a nice gradual turn, but it just keeps flying straight. I still haven't gotten a whole lot of time with it yet, so maybe after practice I'll like it more.

It'll handle any line. Hyzers - no prob. Straight - like a dream. Annys - "Easy peasy, yep and easy." (1000 interwebz if you know what movie that's from)

Too easy, Shawshank Redemption. but you messed up the quote.

"Easy Peasy, Japanesey"

What? I've always heard Brooks say "Easy Peasy, Yep and Easy."

Darn, I just googled it, and you're right. -1000 interwebz for me.

Tangent

Picture this:

Hole#1 Caroll Marty Disc Golf Course, Ames IA. 200ft hole with tee pad elavated probably 100ft higher than the pin, maybe more. You shoot downhill with the pin on the right. Perfect hole for the Tangent...if you can turn it.

Aimed down, threw it hard, and got a nice "subtle" turn as most have described. First birdie of the year.:thmbup:

When I got down to the pin a friend of mine says to me, "how did that not go in..". I've got a real good feeling about the tangent and this year of dg.

Picture this:

Hole#1 Caroll Marty Disc Golf Course, Ames IA. 200ft hole with tee pad elavated probably 100ft higher than the pin, maybe more. You shoot downhill with the pin on the right. Perfect hole for the Tangent...if you can turn it.

Aimed down, threw it hard, and got a nice "subtle" turn as most have described. First birdie of the year.:thmbup:

When I got down to the pin a friend of mine says to me, "how did that not go in..". I've got a real good feeling about the tangent and this year of dg.

That hole is perfect for a forehand shot

Ha, this is actually kind of funny. I have the exact opposite problem. I wanted mine to do a nice gradual turn, but it just keeps flying straight. I still haven't gotten a whole lot of time with it yet, so maybe after practice I'll like it more.

haha that's funny. Hopefully after some more practice I can get it to go straight and you can turn it.

Latest posts