• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pencil Whippers - How do you deal with them?

juju

Double Eagle Member
We've had a repeat offender in my area lately. Many people have talked to him about it and it seems like the behavior will go away for a few months but soon after, he is back to his old tricks. Most people who play with him know about it and will keep a secondary scorecard to make sure everything is correct. Well, last night someone kept a secret second scorecard and caught him in the act.

I have suggested that he needs to be banned from all leagues and tournaments, heck even random dubs and other pickup rounds, for the remainder of 2012. How would you deal with someone who repeatedly cheats?

If it's in a league or tournament then if he's been warned, particularly multiple times, he should be kicked out. There is no room for that sort of stuff even in a friendly game.

publicly shun him at leagues etc. IF it continues have him banned. How does he even have the gual to show up? Clearly keeping a second scorecard is ideal. HOw about not letting him keep score ever.

Never let him keep score and publicly shame him on every hole. Cheaters suck

If we were playing for money and someone got caught doing this they would never be welcomed to play with us again.

Make him a teeshirt that says I AM A CHEATER I SUCK AT LIFE and if he wants to continue in the league he has to wear that shirt!!

i think this is something the PDGA needs to have a section/judge/jury.....get rid of the cheaters.......

I even hate it when the guy keeping score asks me....three....and i need to correct him no four. they should wait til you inform them of your number so there is no mistakes as to who can't count/cheats.

If the tourneys he's in are sanctioned, the TD can report him. At least that way he's not allowed to play those anymore.

Second the suggestion that he not EVER be allowed to keep score.

I have seen guys who always touch their phone after every hole. Even if they are not keeping score, the score keepers think that they maybe keeping score, especially if they ask other people what they scored frequently.

Snap his picture, and put it on a flyer which you post at every course in the area. Kind of make it look like an old west or FBI wanter poster.

i think this is something the PDGA needs to have a section/judge/jury.....get rid of the cheaters.......

the PDGA does. It's the discipline committee.

But unless it occurs in a PDGA sanctioned event, the PDGA has nothing to do with it nor should they.

Even worse are the players who conveniently "forget" a stroke when reporting.

What did you get there? A 3? Dude, you were in the woods. Oh ya. a 5. Grrrrrr

You know you're a loser when you have to lie to look like a winner.

Give him one more chance in leagues, but HE must announce before each league round that he has been caught cheating on the scorecard before, and other players should make sure he does not cheat or lie about his score.
NEVER let him keep the card.
If he lies to the player holding the card or is cheating in any way, and is caught, he forfeits that round, and is banned from all league play for 3 months.
If he is caught lying to the card carrier twice or cheating in any way, ban him for life from ALL league activity.

Golf is supposed to be a game of integrity. One of the few games where an honest player will call infractions against themselves. Cheating has no place in the game.

Even worse are the players who conveniently "forget" a stroke when reporting.

What did you get there? A 3? Dude, you were in the woods. Oh ya. a 5. Grrrrrr

He does this quite often as well, at least once a round. He has even been spotted moving a CTP flag after he holing out when his group wasn't looking.

He does this quite often as well, at least once a round. He has even been spotted moving a CTP flag after he holing out when his group wasn't looking.

Boot him out. He will become a cancer in your local area and lead to all sorts of problems. Cheaters should be dealt with harshly

Truthfully, I wish some people would learn how to take score.

- Stop trying to take the scores while in route to the next tee. People tend to wander between holes to talk to a friend on another hole, or grab something from the car, or take a quick number 1 in the woods. Wait until you get to the next tee box where everyone will be present once again. Getting the next hole's box order is easier this way.

- Just because you're the one taking scores doesn't mean you get to record yours in silence. Verbally announce your score to the group so they can hear it. Otherwise, how do we know that you're not writing down a 3 when we know you took a 5?

- Don't tell me you got "par" or "birdie" when I ask you. We write down numbers on the scorecard, not pictures of avian creatures, so give me one please.

Truthfully, I wish some people would learn how to take score.

- Stop trying to take the scores while in route to the next tee. People tend to wander between holes to talk to a friend on another hole, or grab something from the car, or take a quick number 1 in the woods. Wait until you get to the next tee box where everyone will be present once again. Getting the next hole's box order is easier this way.

- Just because you're the one taking scores doesn't mean you get to record yours in silence. Verbally announce your score to the group so they can hear it. Otherwise, how do we know that you're not writing down a 3 when we know you took a 5?

- Don't tell me you got "par" or "birdie" when I ask you. We write down numbers on the scorecard, not pictures of avian creatures, so give me one please.

:clap::clap:

An email has been sent to all of our local league/tournament directors notifying them of his recent actions. It is suggested that he not be allowed to play leagues/tournaments for the remainder of 2012. Many of us have agreed that if a league/tournament director allows him to play, that we will ask for our entry fee back.

In reality, properly taking scores is without a doubt the rule that is broken the most in disc golf.

The rules require that scores be done like this in this example...

John got a 2, Jay got a 3, I got a 4, Sam got a 5. I have the card...

Me - "Hole 3, John?"
John - "2"
Me - "2"
Me - Jay?"
Jay - "3"
Me - "3"
Me - "I got a 4"
Me - "Sam?"
Sam - "5"
Me - "5"

Almost everyone does it wrong.

Latest posts