• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pencil Whippers - How do you deal with them?

I'm going to start changing other peoples scores and making them better. Then call them pencil whippers because that's one of the funniest damn insults I've ever heard. Then come on here and bitch about it.

I think there should be a thread outing all proven pencil whippers... there's no better deterrent than public humiliation. If someone is a known whipper, list his name and pdga # with the story etc.

I think there should be a thread outing all proven pencil whippers... there's no better deterrent than public humiliation. If someone is a known whipper, list his name and pdga # with the story etc.

Allowing somewhat anonymous people who may have unrelated-to-cheating-grudges to initiate witch hunts based on little more evidence than the unsubstantiated story they tell. What could possibly go wrong?

Boy these forums have become a piss fest as of late. :(

FWIW, I doubt most pencil whippers read these forums, much less join the PDGA.

I whipped a pencil at a teacher once after she told me that I would fail my test because I didn't show my work on solving for fractions. Does that count?

I've played with ye olde pencil whipper once or twice. I say played because it's hard to whip the pencil with broken fingers. Just playing I just go home to cry and drink myself to sleep.

Tournament this weekend had cards for everyone and I think that it went great. It forced everyone to be together when scores were reported which helped cut down on any miscounts and everyone totaling the score at the end took much less time as we all totaled it at once and came out to the same scores. Also, you don't get people complaining when they have to keep the card and you don't have to remind people to write scores at the next hole as half the people already have cards out to score. This should definitely be the norm imo.

Tournament this weekend had cards for everyone and I think that it went great. It forced everyone to be together when scores were reported which helped cut down on any miscounts and everyone totaling the score at the end took much less time as we all totaled it at once and came out to the same scores. Also, you don't get people complaining when they have to keep the card and you don't have to remind people to write scores at the next hole as half the people already have cards out to score. This should definitely be the norm imo.

This sounds like good MO

Boy these forums have become a piss fest as of late. :(

FWIW, I doubt most pencil whippers read these forums, much less join the PDGA.

agreed, and the public humliation is more likely going to lead to false accusations. Earlier in the thred Evren Sevren was mentioned as a pencil whipper. I mentioned this at a local event and easily a half dozen people came to his defense.

"Where did you get this information"
"DGCR"
"and everything on DGCR is true?"

Glad you liked the format Matt. I think it is the best way to do things also. We would have done it Sunday, but did forgot the cards at home :)

No worries, within a few years every tournament will have little touchscreen digital scorecards for everyone. THE FUTURE!