• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pencil Whippers - How do you deal with them?

I try really hard to keep track of my score on my own score sheet for every round I play (casual or tournament), but there are times when I think I might have made a mistake, like when I've carded an 8, 9 or gulp, 10 once! I hate higher math!

Once, in a tournament, I went up to the shelter afterwards, rather than staying with the group to have a "refreshing beverage" in the parking lot, while they checked the scorecard. Not saying there was any intent, but the official score was three higher than what I had. It would've moved me all the way from 17th to maybe 13th, so I didn't care much. But what if...?

It's frustrating when you suspect, or even know someone is "taking advantage" with their own scores during a tournament, but I really am playing first to enjoy the time out there, second to challenge myself against the course, and only third to compete against other players.

With all that said, I think it would be great if, in tournament play, it was frequently emphasized that scoring procedures are public (called out and repeated at the tee), and a shared duty amongst all those on the card. maybe adding just a quick routine to have each player visually check the card as it's handed to the next scorer?

Not sure if juju said this, but the next day at a different league he pulled it again(ish). Everyone on his card was aware of what went on the previous night(and other past events) and didn't let him touch the card. After the round he went up to the LD and complained his score was wrong and wouldn't quit crying until it was changed.

I believe quite a few people from Minnesota forgot to say one thing, WILL NASLUND, aka "The Factor" because he claims he is the factor if his card shoots well or not. He practice putts when league directors are making groups and telling rules before the round, he is special in his mind. Just like the rules with people in reguards to prison, 3 strikes and your out

i keep score for myself and everyone else in tourney rounds. i think an improvement to the current system (one card, rotated between at least 2 people) would be using 2 cards and rotating them among the entire group (3-5 people). that way, everyone has to keep score for at least part of the round and there are 2 cards in case there is a debate.

also - tell TDs to stop handing out pencils with erasers :p

I think one way to try to deal with this is using a pen. I even think the PDGA should required that pens be used to avoid this kind of activity.

They should have everyone in the group get a score card and each person writes down Everyone's score. This seems to be the best way to do it. No way someone can pencil whip and the scores can't be handed in until all the cards have the same final scores for each player.

They should have everyone in the group get a score card and each person writes down Everyone's score. This seems to be the best way to do it. No way someone can pencil whip and the scores can't be handed in until all the cards have the same final scores for each player.

agreed

yeah I like this suggestion. Really hard to believe that people need such a petty, underhanded victory so badly. I honestly feel bad for them because of what it shows about their character.

I think one way to try to deal with this is using a pen. I even think the PDGA should required that pens be used to avoid this kind of activity.

Pens are not the answer because 65% of the time the person starts the score on hole 1 when you are not starting on hole one, then they have to fix the card.

Pens are not the answer because 65% of the time the person starts the score on hole 1 when you are not starting on hole one, then they have to fix the card.

I did this, in ink, one time. After about 4 holes the magnitude of the error became obvious.

I did this, in ink, one time. After about 4 holes the magnitude of the error became obvious.

Why does it matter? The numbers add up the same at the end. if there's any questionable scores, you can figure out which hole is which easily enough.

Its just tradition carried over from golf. Your scorecard is your final word of how you performed on each hole. If you write the wrong score for a hole it is like you are lying.

Why does it matter? The numbers add up the same at the end. if there's any questionable scores, you can figure out which hole is which easily enough.
This causes consternation for TD's who track the hole by hole SSA on different course layouts.

This causes consternation for TD's who track the hole by hole SSA on different course layouts.

Or scoring spread to validate holes.

And if you're not writing scores in the proper places, and you forget to get scores on a hole (has that every happened?), you won't pick it up until the end when you find yourself with 17 scores and a mystery on your hands. If you're doing it right and announcing the hole as you take scores, you're likely to discover the missing hole sooner and it's easier to resolve.

My first tournament card I was in charge of, I did this. Pen, and two holes marked wrong. Glad I caught it fast because any more and it would have been a huge mess to fix. Lesson learned. Pencils are a must!:doh:

In my experience, this doesn't happen all that often. Mostly, (and admittedly its me some of the time) it's someone hitting an early tree, or getting themselves in the rough on the drive and throwing out, then throwing a great approach or super good putt or something. Call it selective memory, but mostly honest mistake. There was one c-tier I played in a while back, still a new player and a little intimidated by tourney play. This one cat was the first to give "advice" when someone threw badly, was loud and know-it-all-ish, got pissy when he threw poorly and more or less got on my nerves a little, which is why I started paying attention to how he was throwing. On 4 separate holes, he called out 3's when I knew for sure he 4-ed. He even did it on a hole where he got pissy, because he threw poorly! None of the other guys (they seemed like buddies, but not conspiratorial) said a word, and to my everlasting shame, neither did I. I was easily the worst thrower on the card that day, didn't want to be "that guy".
That turd won't float anymore, though.
But, as I said, most of the time I believe people do make mistakes, and being a people myself, mostly just need mild correction.
But a guy like the one I described? Call him every time. Every time. Real tourneys? Get him dq'ed

Funny how when someone misreports a hole score, it's too low about 99% of the time. Too high practically never happens. Selective memory indeed.

Eventually, people will be wearing something like Google Glass and will just record their entire lives, including golf rounds:

"No Jimbo, you really did take a five. Here -- look at the video."

"Aww, write down whatever the f*** you want. I don't give a s***."

"Good attitude."

Latest posts