• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pencil Whippers - How do you deal with them?

I do this every hole of every tourney. I am keeping my own score, but take a long time. So I'm sure others think I'm keeping all scores. My score on the card has never been different then what I've been tracking.

Anyone in norcal know evrin sevrin I think his name is. We all know he's a cheat.

Evrin is in NOVA now... (Alexandria)

Once again, the method I posted works for various reasons. Not only does it eliminate cheating, it also eliminates scoring errors, as well as errors that may happen when one person of the group turns in the cards. It also makes every person say their score out loud.

It really is the only solution.

Juliana Korver was the first person I saw use this system as a TD followed by Sharon Jenkins. There was not 1 single scoring issue at those events.

I completely agree. I never had the experience of catching someone cheating until my last tourney. I wasn't happy with what I shot so I confirmed my score on the card and walked back to HQ. I always keep scores for the entire card on my phone. After scores were posted, a guy on my card supposedly shot a 54 when I know it was a 55. He had the card for the last few holes and wrote a 2 on a hole that everyone knows he 3'd. Unfortunately I realized it too late and the douche ended up tied for second. I wish I woulda confirmed sooner since it cost my buddy some extra payout.

The kicker is the guy signed up the morning of the tourney and the TD couldn't check his rating. The jerk was rated 947 and played ma2. Absolutely pathetic. Apparently he's from Dallas and just moved to Austin so locals beware of PATRICK PLAZE.

I completely agree. I never had the experience of catching someone cheating until my last tourney. I wasn't happy with what I shot so I confirmed my score on the card and walked back to HQ. I always keep scores for the entire card on my phone. After scores were posted, a guy on my card supposedly shot a 54 when I know it was a 55. He had the card for the last few holes and wrote a 2 on a hole that everyone knows he 3'd. Unfortunately I realized it too late and the douche ended up tied for second. I wish I woulda confirmed sooner since it cost my buddy some extra payout.

The kicker is the guy signed up the morning of the tourney and the TD couldn't check his rating. The jerk was rated 947 and played ma2. Absolutely pathetic. Apparently he's from Dallas and just moved to Austin so locals beware of PATRICK PLAZE.

Could he just be a bagger who made a mistake? "Accidentally" writing a 2 is not very likely, but at my last tourney I accidentally said I threw a 3 when I threw a 4. Someone gave me an odd look and I went over the hole in my head and instantly corrected myself before we left the hole.

My bad it's Evren Seven #34898, he seems to very playing the DE, VA area now. Watch him. I kicked his ass at a course in a 5 round event, and somehow he beat me by 7? Watch this guy. He seems nice, but watch his score.

Could he just be a bagger who made a mistake? "Accidentally" writing a 2 is not very likely, but at my last tourney I accidentally said I threw a 3 when I threw a 4. Someone gave me an odd look and I went over the hole in my head and instantly corrected myself before we left the hole.

Nah, considering it was our second to last hole. It's a downhill ace run where one guy on our card hit the pole and took the only deuce, everyone else 3'd. I might've thought it coulda been an honest mistake until I saw that he's rated 947 and has played 8...yes EIGHT ma1 tourneys this year and he accidentally signed up for ma2? I don't think so.

I do not think he accidentally signed up for the wrong division. I though maybe he wrote the wrong number, but probably not. Just thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt since we are calling him a cheater to the entire nation/world of disc golfers.

Oak Hollow wasn't the only tourney Charlie Coleman has been caught pencil whipping.

Wow, pencil whipping seems like a bigger problem than I initially thought it was. Sad really.

Oak Hollow wasn't the only tourney Charlie Coleman has been caught pencil whipping.
I just found an older issue of the pdga discgolfer mag, quick flip through and I realized why that name sounds familiar, he won MA1 at the pDGA Championship.

So can anyone explain to me why it's called pencil whipping? I understand what it is but I want to know where the terminology came from

pencil whipping is a term for just filling out whatever you want. I pencil whipped a ton of business plans etc in my day

CC qoute of the yr.. "You questioning my game bro?" Answer now, Yes.

I have a buddy that screws up the score on every round. But it is not intentional. He simply has trouble counting to 3. If we are really trying to keep an accurate score someone has to have a duplicate card. Maybe some of these pencil whippers simply suck at math.

I've never caught anyone pencil whipping but there have been many times when myself and a few other league players have suspected it. I believe that there would be a Frankenstein style result if we could catch them at it.

Castration?

I played with a guy like this in a big tourney recently. It's hard for me to remember my own scores, let alone everybody elses on the card. So trying to keep up with that crap kills my enjoyment for the game/tourney. You would think that people would be honest, show some integrity. But there's always one douche-bag who wants to win at any cost. This is one of the main reasons I dont play tourneys anymore which is sad because I like to participate. But all the cheating, lies told, not following the basic rules, etc just makes me sick.
Keeping a 2nd scorecard makes sense until you try to justify it later. Who's to say the 2nd card is any more correct than the first? What if I made a mistake on my second card & scored somebody wrong. It could happen. It becomes a he said-she said deal & who do you believe? People pick sides & square off. How much fun is that?
A lot of times I let it go thinking that Karma will get them in the end but that doesnt always work either. This is a tough topic & I hate dealing with it!