• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

4 days ago, after another +11 on Buckeye, I was despairing of ever getting below +11 there (more often +14, give or take). 2 days ago, +9! Today, +7! :D

It could have been better, too. :\ On Hole 10 I saw that I was only +2, and I let myself hope. Big mistake! Great drive on 10, my first really great chance for a birdie on this course, muffed the putt (a second putt, with the putter I first thought to use, made it), and settled for par. Then Hole 11... Overestimated the strength of the headwind, chose to use the Resistor, and ended up with it in the manzanita bushes on the right. Then 2 throws bounced off of branches 6-10 feet in front of me, 3 throws to get out and putt, for a 5. On the plus side, the practice throws the night before on 16, trying different discs to get a controlled turnover, kind of paid off--I threw the StarLite RR flat and let the disc do the work, getting my best drive ever on that hole as the RR took the path that I wanted around trees. Of course I blew it on the upshot, and 2-putted. Then I 2-putted again on the last two holes, with 17 being a putt I shouldn't have missed. But, hey, I'm very satisfied with decisively getting down into positive siingle digits. :)

Last night, during league doubles, shot a 5 under and took the money. Parked hole 10 across the pond and had 3+ drives in which I had the longest drive. For many of you this is a yawn fest, for me it was probably the best I have ever shot. I tried to make my Vanish disappear on a few occasions. I had actually used it a lot on Sunday for league just to figure it out, and discovered I could shape some very cool lines with it. I did shoot a 67 that day, but it was absolutely worth the learning curve.

I did have about 3 craptastic drives however. Hole 3, 4, and 9 were pretty sad. Sometimes I find myself grabbing a disc that worked on the last hole, but only because of wind direction, which is now the absolute wrong disc. My putts were actually dropping though and if anything most of my upshots were a hair long. Now if I can just shoot that way consistantly, I may have to turn pro, HAHA.

At league I threw a +14 on Tuesday. I was projected for -2, lol. Not my best day. I was jump shooting my putts by the end of it.

Since all baskets are in at Freedom Center now, I went out moved some brush, cleared a few of the landing zones/greens of rocks, branches, etc...then played the full 18 out there for the first time.

The course is beautiful and rewards smart golf. Also love that every shot is needed out there. That being said, I dont have every shot nor do I always play smart. Accordingly, the course absolutely destroyed me today. I stopped keeping track after hole 8 where I carded an 8, but am sure there were at least 3 sixes on the back 9. Rough day on a remarkably challenging, but honestly still fair, course. Outstanding design job on this one by Biscoe.

Going back tomorrow. View of Hole 10 from the tee attached.

Attachments

• 20170518_111803.jpg
    20170518_111803.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 19
I shot terribly yesterday. Couldn't hit a putt to save my life. I stopped keeping score after going +6 through the first 4 holes...but I had Milo Mciver mostly to myself on a beautiful day, so I still left the course happy.

Won our local doubles league yesterday. Banged quite a few birdie putts, parked a couple holes, and let my partner do some work on a few holes. Great night.

Once again I had a stellar front 9 at Elver and couldn't keep it going. -8 through 9, then -1 the rest of the way with 2 4s to end at -9. Feel like I shoulda been -15 :wall:

For the first time since I started playing, I had to take over a week off due to a small tear in my retina. Had it laser 'welded' Wednesday afternoon & the doc said I was good to go on Thursday. Played my local pitch & putt & was able to beat my average there by two, so I felt good about my score. My conditioning in the humidity was another thing, however, and we've got a two course tournament tomorrow. I'm predicting a serious 'fade' in round two...

Yesterday I drove an hour & a half to play two courses I've never played before. I played Elver in Madison & Vallarta-Ast (Token Creek) in Deforest. I really like the courses. I was practicing for the upcoming Mad City open in June. I'm going back up next week to practice Birds Ruins. I played well at both courses. I even aced hole #27 at Token Creek. The ace made up for the Roc3 I lost earlier in the round.

Shot a personal best to win my division of our Spring League.

Then beer. Much beer.

Didn't lose a disc for the first time this week... wait it's Monday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played the lower course at Bohart Ranch with some bonus holes sprinkled in last night. Got to the course and teed straight off without warming up so I didn't hit a groove(forgot mine at home), particularly with putting, for a few holes. Ended at an even "par" 80 for the 25 holes which was good after the early bleeding. Was throwing well off the tee and once I got the putter warmed up banged some gooders. Mostly I was just happy to be throwing plastic on one of the most beautiful courses out there.

Due to a change in my work schedule, I have been playing early morning rounds this week. Dawn patrol has added at least 4-5 strokes to my score, all putting. :(

Seems my putter doesn't wake up until lunch and likes afternoons better.

On the way home from some field work for a work assignment, I stopped and played the nine hole course at an elementary school in that area. Either the trees had it in for me, or my discs had it in for them. :-/ My forehand somehow wasn't clicking, either. :-(

I took about a year off of golf, just now starting to play again and really making myself learn to throw forehand when needed. For anyone on the fence, do it. I hated it, and never wanted to force myself to throw forehand shots unless it was my only option. I can't tell you how much it opens up your game. I no longer walk up to a right turning hole dreading it and hoping my drive turns over, I just whip a forehand out comfortably. It may not go further than 300 feet right now but it's tons better than it used to be for myself. Played 2 courses in McKinney, TX yesterday and today, a change of pace from the open courses I'm used to. I played Alex Clark a few years back, it was my first course ever playing and I shot an 86, yesterday I shot a 50. Played Towne Lake across the highway today and shot a 49 from the longs. Really happy with how the game is progressing now after my break. Taking more time, slowing things down more and now trying to crush drives, just letting the disc work. I may sacrifice some distance but I'm in the middle of the fairway for a clean shot.

Attended my first weekly event at my new home course. Entry costed 3$ or 3 cans of food, which go to a local charity. The event had 3 categories: a single disc prized from the goody chest for CTP, a dollar pay in for a 5$ pot to whichever player hits the most of 7 pre picked birdie holes, and overall lowest score got a free pizza voucher. It was a good showing 15+ and I had a great time showing the locals how an Alaskan from Japan throws 150 class discs.

Just got first for the week in my little friends league. We play cali, since it's a very mixed range of skill levels. Helps keep it a bit more competitive. Was pretty windy today and tried to stick to my game, playing for par, had a couple birdies along the way, one bad hole but other then that ok. Finished +3 but on a pretty rough course in plus 20mph wind. Overall I'm happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit an ace on hole #6, from the short tee, at Glacier Ridge in Ohio today. Hole that goes downhill most of the way then back uphill at end. Somewhat windy (that's why I played short tee - rough is high and had already spent too much time looking for discs on earlier holes). Threw an Emac Dyemax Truth on a slight hyzer... nailed my line... and the fade kicked in at just the right time to cause a loud, and very satisfying, crashing of the chains. Guy over on the next hole heard it, and yelled over "nice ace"! Always good to have a witness. ;-)