• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The DGCR Mold: Let's build a disc!

Nice find! Had no idea. If people are wondering the current run of plastic is great at GGGT and you can get xouts or regs for super cheap.

Im seriously going to make a lightning bag next time i go there. I have 2 MVPs to pick up instore i forgot about so will be going down soon.

Upshot > polecat

Funny you mention this. I've been rocking all lightning for a week now.

The discs are fantastic. I threw a #1 Flyer 350 ft yesterday on flat ground. The old run plastic is weak but flight is so legit.

Is lightning out of business? if so, I'm surprised someone hasn't bought the molds and starting making some of these in newer plastics. I see some of the older casual golfers still using them fairly often.

Is lightning out of business? if so, I'm surprised someone hasn't bought the molds and starting making some of these in newer plastics. I see some of the older casual golfers still using them fairly often.

Gggt is fron what i remember. I think i posted about it in a lightning thread but cant remember the details. The "little flyer" or whatever it is makes discs so i assume its being done thru there with ghe lightning molds.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember a thread about that...

#memoryproblems

Last edited:
yes.
Several people have donated discs and I am scanning them. This should help me understand weight allocation and geometries.
When I have some concepts to share I will post to one of these threads.

So there's no visible progress as far as DGCR can tell, but its all behind the scenes progress. Hopefully it won't be that much longer 

:clap:

Last edited:
You can apparently still order discs from their (Lightning Golf Discs) website so I am assuming they are still in business?

I've never seen a Doggy Style or Bite, did anybody like those for disc golf or did they seem more suited for catch discs?

late to the party, i know.

the doggy style flew well but gateway's base plastic in a dog frisbee just doesn't work well as the harder plastic you find in ultimate frisbees. too fragile. it's great though, when it's fresh. it can do finesse work but take some power too.

the bite, on the other hand, is ridiculously HSS for a "frisbee" IMO and lacks desired frisbee glide. it still works incredibly well, but it starts to feel like less of a finesse workhorse. it's incredibly easy to grip since the outside edge is low profile - lower than a polecat. it's got that fastback raised middle with a bit of thumbtrack action in between.

i think anybody that throws a disc could comfortably throw a bite, even if they'd never thrown a lid before. i require absolutely zero finesse to throw it with good results and it can really soak up power.

Found the info so yes-

The complete line of Disc, bags and baskets can be purchased from www.gottagogottathrow.com.

There is misinformation being circulated by a disgruntled former employee that should be ignored - in fact that person has admin control of the Lightning facebook page and won't relinquish control of it.

If you will please share the news of the availability of the products. Feel free to call or email with ?s or comments

763-593-7690

[email protected]

Charlie

I work at GGGT, so I'll do my best to keep you updated with Lightning stuff. What little I know is that we have ALL of the existing Lightning inventory up here now (Minneapolis), and I do believe Charlie is going to continue producing them as he now owns all of the molds. He also owns all of the molds for Quest, and I know he's worked to improve that line so I'd imagine he's going to do the same with Lightning.

Same molds newer blends from what ive seen in store.

Got To Go Got to Throw said they had bought the molds and all the discs from the factory, they were going to start making the discs once a mold ran out.

So I looked it up and the Upshot was approved a year before the Polecat. (2/93 VS 1/94)
Now I kind of want to give an homage to the originator of the disc golf lid even more.
I like where your head is at on this one Aim.

Actually the originator of the Disc Golf Lid was Jan Stroble with the Destiny Discs or original Dynamic Discs it latter got called the Puppy and Super puppy some of the first true disc golf sized discs made in the early 1980's but not legal till 1983 after Wham-O had Kransko buy them out. At that point Kransko did not care that Wham-O had all the power in Disc Golf and Disc Sports. At about that same time DGA started making its own brand of discs to sell as Kransko yanked the molds they were using from DGA and at that point Ed Hendrick basically gave in and finally but barely gave up control of PDGA and about 5 or 6 more discs were legal to use for PDGA events mainly worlds of that year, one was from Discraft, the Sky Pro then made in Canada, both Jan Strobles discs Puppy and Super Puppy, the Wally a disc made in Canada that was popular in Canada, Eagle Aero and the the retooled Aero and the Avair from Innova were also legal.

I always kinda wondered what the comet would be with a different rim. I'll keep thinking on what rim would be so super sweet on the domey shell of live that is the comets flight plate.

I always kinda wondered what the comet would be with a different rim. I'll keep thinking on what rim would be so super sweet on the domey shell of live that is the comets flight plate.

Rubber Putter is as if they tuned a Comet into a putter however since the Rubber Putter was out first Comet is a midrange version of the Rubber Putter.

I always found it easier to turn, but a lot of people have described ABC Discs' Flying Squirrel (in Gold plastic) as a beadless Comet.

I always found it easier to turn, but a lot of people have described ABC Discs' Flying Squirrel (in Gold plastic) as a beadless Comet.

I had a love affair with the comet for a bit I've since moved on I only use it for fieldwork, sometimes. The X buzz does what it did(and mire) for me so bye-bye