• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 10 Discs of All Time

cyclone
comet
stalker (new and improved cyclone)
rogue
hurricane
wizard
x-puttr

interesting choices

Why the DD2, not that it is a bad choice, I just want to know.
I have thrown all speed13 disc from Innova,Discmania,Lat64 and Discraft.
This disc gets more distance then any of them.Plus it is very easy to control.

I'm not gonna post my top 10 discs, I'm simply going to state why I think a few discs must be on the list. I'm also gonna post them in order from most necessary to least. But it's not a top whatever, I'm just saying what the strongest arguments are.

Aviar-the best selling disc of all time, used by half of the pros in the world, the oldest disc people still buy that is in production, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Roc-the first faster speed disc that can hold any line it is thrown on at basically any power level. The most popular mid-range of all time (although not currently). Generally the most expensive disc.

Teebird-the first driver that can hold any line it is thrown on at basically any power level. 2nd furthest throw ever (i think)

Buzzz-Most popular disc right now. This could easily move up a couple spots if it holds this title for a few more years. But it'll take a lot for it to overtake the Aviar.

Valk-furthest throw ever. Until someone (or some disc) beats this, it's got to make the list IMO.

The midnight flyer-the first disc.

All of these discs, save the midnight flyer, are very popular in bags today and have been ever since they were released. And the flyer gets a free pass into any top 10 because it was the first disc.

no particular order. based mainly on what they brought to the sport and offered the common DGer

Epic - changed the game drastically and is probably the inspiration for the large rimmed discs. its uniqueness gave way to several innovations.

Valkyrie - essentially the perfect disc for all. capable of great accuracy and distance. this also led the DG community to the faster and faster discs like the Beast.

Roc (Classic and Standard) - The roc brought a whole new concept of utility disc application. its true uniqueness lies in how its 'beats-in'.

Buzzz - Removing the bead while still maintaining the overstability mad this disc stand out. and the only real competitor with the Roc. you could probably say that 90% of the competitive digers out there have a Roc or Buzzz in their bag.

Wraith - The first of the high speed drivers that gave the common DGer the capability to throw long shots. When this disc came on to the scene everyone wanted one.

Wizard - This disc at one time was considered THE putter to have. it had a consistent flight among its plastic variations (the plastic maybe inconsistent but the flight is not). the real unique thing to me about the wizard is that to me its more of a utility disc than a putter.

Vibram VP - although not the first disc to be made of rubber, it was the first one to gain wide popularity. the love and support it received also brought in an AWESOME large scale corporation sponsor who continues to support DG heavily.

Any Quest Disc - Quest altho not hugely successful tried to introduce many different concepts to the sport. from the dimple tech to the turbo putt. these discs never gained much popularity but the definitely changed the way companies, players, and the PDGA look at discs. their efforts also helped solidify the standards of DG discs with the PDGA.

ION - MVP brought two stage modeling for discs to the front lines. they were not the first to think of it but definitely the first to be successful with it on such a wide scale.

Sinus/Medius - I dont know which was technical first for Lat64 but when the other side of the pond got their own manufacturer, DG blew up over there. many many new players have been brought to the sport in that time. and i would think Europe probably has the best growth rate compared to population over any other area. If there were a top 20 list Lat64 would have several more discs, their ability to design discs with the craziest glide is uncanny.

Teebird-the first driver that can hold any line it is thrown on at basically any power level. 2nd furthest throw ever (i think)

i believe the top 5 in order are
Valk
XS
Teebird
Boss
XL

OK so from 10 to 1 my list is;

10. Innova Destroyer - It flies straight and doesn't stop. Enough said.
9. Innova Leopard - Versatile, beginner friendly, and champion approved.
8. Latitude 64 Striker - Nothing cuts a smoother line than a well thrown striker. Not only will this disc cruise for distance, it does so with Swedish grace and style.
7. Innova Katana - Had to make the list for pure, wiggly distance. Goes a hella long way and takes the path less traveled by with ease.
6. Innova Boss - In addition to giving mean distance to people that can handle it, this flying blade can be counted on for a massive skip for a bit more.
5. Innova Banshee - Dependable, controllable, and a personal favorite for forehand shots
4. Innova Roc - Because it's the Roc and it demands respect.
3. Innova Aviar - Same as the Roc but with 50 gazillion variations to boot.
2. Discraft Magnet - Beats in to become a soft little laser beam for putts and drives alike
1. Innova Beast - A ridiculously dependable disc. Coming in at a reasonable speed 10, it's hard to turn over but doesn't shank to the left after a powerful backhand. Beginners and pros can use it well and it just gets better with age.

Last edited:
You will notice that all of the old time players put the Cyclone (the first disc ever with a style of plastic that is now present everywhere); and the Stingray in the mix. Cobra should also be included from old guys. The F-15 was a roc/buzz like disc that was probably the best Lightning disc ever made. Lighting is now out of business; but, they were the Gateway (#3 major commpany) for many years.

You will notice that all of the old time players put the Cyclone (the first disc ever with a style of plastic that is now present everywhere); and the Stingray in the mix. Cobra should also be included from old guys. The F-15 was a roc/buzz like disc that was probably the best Lightning disc ever made. Lighting is now out of business; but, they were the Gateway (#3 major commpany) for many years.

solid analysis. :thmbup:

i have a top seven because these are my true loves. need to find some fairway lovin.

aviar - what would i do without you? sorry i've been thinking of cheating lately
rhyno- you're the best driving putter i've ever put my paws on
drone - consistency fh and bh. you will never turn over on me
buzzz - you get there fast and usually draw good lines
firebird - you're the drone's big brother. but you're even more versatile.
viking - you're kinda the buzzz's big brother. maybe my favorite in a pinch.
destroyer - you've been seasoned into a super long teebird. thanks.

wow pretty hard but lets see ...

Aviar
Roc
Teebird
Leopard
Comet
Eagle
Firebird
Surge
Wizard
Stingray
... honorable mention Groove :p

Aviar, Roc, Teebird...Wait, I can't regurgitate the same old discs. How about a fresh take...Here's my top ten discs released in the past 5 years that will still be in people's bags in 5-10 years.

Ion--most revolutionary putter since the Aviar.

Pure--nice straight putter with a modern feel that anyone new to the sport would choose over deeper discs like Aviars/Magnets

Fuse--best gliding, slowest turning understable mid on the market, and all with a modern (no bead/low profile) feel. I often look and the Fuse and wonder how it flies like it does...

MD2--Somehow Innova went almost a decade without designing a decent stable mid, MD2 makes up for this and maybe Innova's best all around mid going into the future

Vector--Took the basic Rancho shape, made it in better plastic, and made it more gyroscopic...I believe this disc will continue to grow in popularity as people see how well it breaks in

Stalker--while I don't necessarily think it's a great disc, it's important because Discraft proved to everyone that a slow driver can still sell if it makes throwing straight easy.

River--this a great fairway driver, while latitude seemed to follow all the rules in terms of design, the finished product is a disc that simply outperforms anyting else of the same speed/rim width...I also think the Stalker proved to latitude that this type of disc was commercially viable.

PD--great stable disc useful for many lines and distances, while having a shorter rim width

Striker--this was a huge release for the most prolific disc designers of the last 5 years(lat64), paving the way for many more good discs

Z Nuke--the best all around of the warp speed generation (best combination of HSS/LSS of the max width rims)

I like a lot of other new and fairly fast drivers (Flow, Sword, King, Nuke ss/os, Katana, etc), but I'm just not sure which will hang around because the big companies are dependent on distance driver releases to keeps sales going. This means these will continued to be recycled and replaced.

I don't think it's legitimate to put any putters on a list like this. They're too much about personal preference and there are too many different ones without too much actual differentiation.

I'm disgusted that so many of these lists don't include any Lat 64. Opto and gold line plastics really took things up a notch.

10. Opto Halo- Serious distance with casual effort. Opto plastic reigns supreme for durability.
9. Innova Valkyrie(any plastic)- Everyone has thrown one and loved it at some point and somebody mentioned some record it holds, which may be of interest.
8. The Buzzz- If you don't like the Roc, you probably use a Buzzz. FLX plastic makes this one of the most dynamic discs on the market.
7. The Roc- If you don't like the Buzzz, you probably use this at least 20 shots per round.
6. Opto Striker- Swedish Teebird, phenomenal slider, and still an awesome thumber. IMHO, it brought Europe to the table.
5. Innova Teebird- this did for DG what the revolver did for the wild west.
4. Gold line River- this is the plastic of the Gods. Perfect for long, not-so-straight lines. pure class
3. Innova Aviar- the putter with heritage. Probably the most used putter as well.
2. Innova Wraith- it's the gateway drug of drivers, pushing people to throw faster and further
1. Discraft Nuke- Letting everyone get to the pin in 3 or less. If you cant throw it 400 feet, you can roll it 500.

I do not necessarily endorse (or throw) any of these... but these are the ones that i see that have (or do) make the most difference and are true "classics".

1) Roc - Probably most versatile disc made.
2) Aviar - #1 selling disc.
3) Buzzz - So darn good at going straight.
4) Teebird - So consistent.
5) Valkyrie - Perfect blend of consistency and distance.
6) Firebird - Standard in which all OS drivers are measured.
7) Leopard - Such a great disc.
8) <Insert Discraft Putter Here> - Dont throw them, but i see a lot of them.
9) Destroyer - #1 Distance Driver
10) The "Epic": fail

Honorable Mentions:
Wraith - Such a great all purpose driver.
Predator - Firebird, Predator (either or).
Eagle - Teebird got the nod, simply out of popularity. Pros might argue differenly.
Rhyno - if you have to ask, you dont own one.
Katana - First speed 13 driver that you didnt have to be a superstar to throw.

Infamous Top :
1) Groove: OS disc marketed as a disc for beginners.
2) Epic (also in top 10) : a disc you can "tune" really?
3) Monarch: More Innova Gimmickry

I don't think it's legitimate to put any putters on a list like this. They're too much about personal preference and there are too many different ones without too much actual differentiation.

assume all putters are for drives