• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Using the term folf ??? frowned upon?

Grinder12000

Birdie Member
Is "folf" now frowned upon in serious circles? I'm trying to educate people in my town that has a new 9 hole course and a lot of people are saying "folf" as opposed to disc golf.

Help me out there!

I mention this because an organizer is going to the press about the new flof course and I need to put a stop to it in a politically correct way.

Disc golf course.

F(r)olf is no bueno. May as well nip it in the bud early.

If you can include pictures in the article, have a side by side of a disc golf disc and a beach frisbee, so people get an idea of the difference.

I use the world frolf just to get under peoples skin at this point. I think its quite humorous that people actually take issue with what its called.

I'm thinking it's Disc Golf instead of Frisbee Golf in the same way that Puffs and other brands would rather you call their product a tissue than a Kleenex. ;)

Well, to answer the OP:

"Frolf," "Frisbee Golf," and/or "Folf" are generally considered "derogatory" or "condescending" or simply plain "incorrect" in describing our sport: "disc golf."

I believe a lot of this backlash resulted when Wham-O, maker of the Frisbee, put a cease and desist out on "Frisbee golf." So it became "disc golf" and has been known as such since. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...there are other members who would have a much better, perhaps inside angle, on this history "lesson.")

So now "frolf" and its derivatives are largely disliked/actively hated by members of the community.

:)

Last edited:
groundhog-clipart.png

frolf is better

Listen to Chuck, he works for the PFGA :D

Disc golf course.

F(r)olf is no bueno. May as well nip it in the bud early.

If you can include pictures in the article, have a side by side of a disc golf disc and a beach frisbee, so people get an idea of the difference.

:clap:

The term Frisbee, often used to generically describe all flying discs, is a registered trademark of the Wham-O toy company. - Wiki

Personally I don't care what it's called. But if I were the person writing the article I would prefer to use the proper term in my article and appreciate the heads up if I was not very knowledgeable on the subject.

Folf is completely normal and accepted in the state of Montana and some other minor areas of the NW, they look at you weird if you say "disc golf"

Every time disc golf appears on the news it seems they must emphasize disc, and especially the K sound at the end of disc, and it ends up like this:

Disc (pause) Golf

"Now we turn to our assistant to the intern in the backup weekend sports reporting team, who brought in a story about Disc (pause) Golf."

They always seem so uncomfortable saying it, like they're incredulous that such a thing could even exist. :\

Every time disc golf appears on the news it seems they must emphasize disc, and especially the K sound at the end of disc, and it ends up like this:

Disc (pause) Golf

"Now we turn to our assistant to the intern in the backup weekend sports reporting team, who brought in a story about Disc (pause) Golf."

They always seem so uncomfortable saying it, like they're incredulous that such a thing could even exist. :\

It could be them saying it slower for enunciation purposes. Happens to me a lot when I mention that I play "Disc golf'",
Me: Played a few rounds of Disc Golf this morning.
Other person: "Disco what?".
Me: "Disc <pause> Golf".
Other person: " ooohhhh… what's that?"
Me: "you know, Frolf? Frisbee Golf?"
Other person: OOOOOHHHHHHH FRISBEE GOLF!

Then I explain why it's not called Frisbee golf and they quickly lose interest and leave the date before the waitress returns with our drinks.

they don't want it to be heard as dick golf

Folf is completely normal and accepted in the state of Montana and some other minor areas of the NW, they look at you weird if you say "disc golf"

This is what I was going to say, it's surprising to hear it pop up in Wisconsin. Maybe some Montana transplants.

i would just say that frolf is derived from frisbee and golf, and frisbees are not what we are using