• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When a noob won't listen....

Unless they ask,don't give advice. If their really interested in the game they will either ask you or someone else who plays or maybe come to this forum.
I think I would be pissed if someone started giving me advice when I didn't ask for it,although that would be rare cause I'm always ready for free advice when it comes to disc golf!

I like to shatter any false confidence right off the bat for a noobie. Then I will reinforce it, by letting them drive first. I don't want them to know how I do it. ...yet!

Step 1. I tell them immediately, "You're going to suck the first time you throw." and cap it off with "Accept it".
Step 2. Then I will give them a little hope, by saying "If you listen to me, you will improve by each hole"
Step 3. I will reassure them with "I can guarantee, that you will want to play another round when we finish #9, because you will see your improvements"
Step 4. Without showing them how it's done, I'll let them drive first. This will usually deflate any ego. ...usually. Most of the time, it's doing good to go 50ft. Then I will drive! :D

I'll usually give them a different tip per hole before we tee off. Then I'll wait for them to ask questions. I'll tweak them, and work with them, and when we finish, I'll have them drive on the first hole again, so they can see their improvements. Most of the time, they are chomping at the bit to play another round. This is how I've handled first timers, and out of the 4 or 5 people that I have taken out, only one really wasn't interested in playing again.

I find that if you heckle the overconfident newbie that refuses to accept any type of help, two outcomes are possible, and one separate endpoint will always be reached:

Possibles:

1. The person is so cocky and narcissistic, they will likely get so frustrated that they will either quit before the round is finished, or they will finish and inform everyone afterward that DG is a stupid/childish/easy endeavor. If this is the outcome, do you really want this person to be playing DG anyway? Would you be happy to see them at league or a casual round after a long day's work? I didn't think so.

2. They'll eventually break, and see that they have no chance in doing any better without some advice from experienced players. Therefore, they will ask for instructions and enjoy the game even though they aren't any good the first time (which none of us were). This is the kind of person that I wouldn't mind playing with, because even though they aren't humble at first, they are able to become so.

The endpoint that will always be attained is that no matter what, you'll have a great time. If the first outcome happens, you'll have a great time because there really isn't much better than seeing an overly cocky person fail, and giving him/her crap whilst doing so. If the second endpoint occurs, you'll sense that you helped someone change from being a douche, to someone that you'd enjoy playing with. Either way, both are fun.

Step 2. Then I will give them a little hope, by saying "If you listen to me, you will improve by each hole"
Step 3. I will reassure them with "I can guarantee, that you will want to play another round when we finish #9, because you will see your improvements"

Help ME Russ MB, I want to improve on each hole!!!!

theres been this dude who has been coming around and every time i give him advice he justs ignores it but this guy has no life he shows up at the park every dAY he trys to get smoked out and i think thats the only reason that he stated playing the game in the first place and he slows dwn the group all the time it sux:wall:

There's one in every crowd

So there was this guy I worked with, spent all day in front of a computer and had all the athletic ability of a doorstop. We were talking one day and I told him about DG - next thing I know he says "Oh, I know all about frisbees - I can throw them 100 yards!"

I said, "Alright then, let's go out to the local football field and we can stand at one goal line and you can show me how you reach the other one. In fact, let's make this interesting. PAYCHECKS."

Never heard another word out of him (thank God!).

I try very hard not to say anything or give any advice unless asked.
Often good advice goes bad unless the Noob gives it a chance.
Example:
A friend of a friend started out with a Champ Wraith as a driver. In order to get it to fly his max distance of 150', he released it with extreme anhyzer. Then I gave him a less stable disc to try. He turned it over into the ground, repeatedly. Right advice, turned out badly. He got real frustrated, real fast and went back to his Champ Wraith. I don't think he plays anymore.

I have taught two friends how to play and have a a different experience with both. My friend Jason, first day was driving about 300ft, and was just a natural at the sport. We are playing a 18 hole-par3 and he was slamming par's.

But then my other friend who will remain nameless......Throws 300ft alright....straight up almost in the air, and lands 40ft in front of him. He asked me for advice but then doesn't use it, instead he blames the disc he using.....
Right now he has blamed........the beast, orc, starfire, firbird, groove, wraith, leopard, tee-bird, roadrunner, etc.
My point with him....alot of newbies feel that if they buy 20+ disc they will become better players, instead of becoming better and then upgrading your equipment to match your skill level. Increasing the weight as your control and strength become more accurate.

I have taught two friends how to play and have a a different experience with both. My friend Jason, first day was driving about 300ft, and was just a natural at the sport. We are playing a 18 hole-par3 and he was slamming par's.

But then my other friend who will remain nameless......Throws 300ft alright....straight up almost in the air, and lands 40ft in front of him. He asked me for advice but then doesn't use it, instead he blames the disc he using.....
Right now he has blamed........the beast, orc, starfire, firbird, groove, wraith, leopard, tee-bird, roadrunner, etc.
My point with him....alot of newbies feel that if they buy 20+ disc they will become better players, instead of becoming better and then upgrading your equipment to match your skill level. Increasing the weight as your control and strength become more accurate.

That makes sense. If all your drives rocket up in the air that's because the disc was meant to do that so get a disc that was meant to fly lower. Different discs make you player better, it has nothing to do with practice and skill.

lol :D

Latest posts