• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When a noob won't listen....

According to all the people around me here that don't play, all the discs are the same except for the color...and besides, they are frisbees.

I was playing with this guy who brought a friend, he was a baseball player so we tried to get him to throw a thumber and i beleive on his second time out he got his first deuce :popcorn: I don't know why i put the guy eating popcorn

My brother only plays once a month ( if that). He drives me nuts, because he goes out there, totally sucks, and the whole time complains that he needs to practice more. Then I ask him if he has practiced and he says no. He does that every time we play. I don't ask him to play anymore, I just wait till he brings it up.

He pisses me off, because he goes out of town alot, and I have told him "Why don't you hit some courses while you are out of town" and I get told by him " My life doesn't revolve around disc golf, alright". I guess he thinks my life does. What a minute, look how many post I have.............oh damn.:doh:

One day I was going to play, and my brother begged me to let this guy bring along his wife and kids. I really wanted it to be just a guys day out, but I finally said "Sure". Boy, did I make a mistake.

They followed us in their car, and I assumed this guy gave his wife some sort of idea what disc golf was about. He had only been playing for a short time himself, but I am sure they talked in the car.

We stepped up to the first tee, he hands his wife a disc, and she states" OK, now what I am supposed to do?" My reaction first was this ---------->:|followed by this---------->:doh:. I knew right there I had made a mistake. The whole round was just about like this, and I just wanted to go home. By the end of the round I felt like doing this to the trees----------->:wall: I am very careful of who I let my brother invite now. I don't mind taking time to teach people, but that day I just wanted to play, not be a babysitter.

One day I was going to play, and my brother begged me to let this guy bring along his wife and kids. I really wanted it to be just a guys day out, but I finally said "Sure". Boy, did I make a mistake.

They followed us in their car, and I assumed this guy gave his wife some sort of idea what disc golf was about. He had only been playing for a short time himself, but I am sure they talked in the car.

We stepped up to the first tee, he hands his wife a disc, and she states" OK, now what I am supposed to do?" My reaction first was this ---------->:|followed by this---------->:doh:. I knew right there I had made a mistake. The whole round was just about like this, and I just wanted to go home. By the end of the round I felt like doing this to the trees----------->:wall: I am very careful of who I let my brother invite now. I don't mind taking time to teach people, but that day I just wanted to play, not be a babysitter.

We once felt the same way about you Midnight.

I had a great experience at my local course today. I had just finished tossing the front 9 and decided to call it a day. I trudged back up to the parking lot and collapsed onto the benches by the first teepad. The next thing I knew, two very pretty college women in short shorts and flip flops got out of a car and glided (i swear they were floating) over to me. They each had a single disc. The next words out of their mouth stunned me. "Could you show us how to play?" ... I just about died.

So I did what any gentleman would. I gave them a few tips, but nothing too extensive. They wanted to throw forehand, so I showed them a basic grip and watched them toss a few throws off the tee. Then, to my dismay, I looked at the time and I had to leave. I wish I could of stayed to play THAT ROUND! No question would of been a "stupid" one out of their mouths..... and the best part, they were actually LISTENING to my simple advice.

I had a great experience at my local course today. I had just finished tossing the front 9 and decided to call it a day. I trudged back up to the parking lot and collapsed onto the benches by the first teepad. The next thing I knew, two very pretty college women in short shorts and flip flops got out of a car and glided (i swear they were floating) over to me. They each had a single disc. The next words out of their mouth stunned me. "Could you show us how to play?" ... I just about died.

So I did what any gentleman would. I gave them a few tips, but nothing too extensive. They wanted to throw forehand, so I showed them a basic grip and watched them toss a few throws off the tee. Then, to my dismay, I looked at the time and I had to leave. I wish I could of stayed to play THAT ROUND! No question would of been a "stupid" one out of their mouths..... and the best part, they were actually LISTENING to my simple advice.

Man, that is like a disc golf dream come true. You should have gotten numbers and told them you would give them another lesson.

Nice stories. Sometimes its a shame though. My best friend finally relented to my subtle urging and decided to give it a try. He's not arrogant or narcissistic, but he is a hard head. I tried several different discs, I tried several different tactics to enlighten, encourage and help. Nothing seemed to help. It was very frustrating to me because I really wanted him to at least enjoy himself. And although he kept saying he was having a good time it was plainly obvious that he wasn't. It was as though he was determined at the outset to not like it.

In the end he said he had a really good time. But a couple of days later when we spoke he admitted he had aches and pains he never expected or had before. Hell he's 56 like me and was using muscles in a way he was not used to. What did he think was gonna happen. Hell I hurt all the time too.

Bottom line, he said it fun and he could see why I enjoyed it, but...

Oh well, his loss.

Gee , a Penthouse moment:thmbup:almost...
I have found some people who won't take advice have a low self esteem and compensate by proving that they can "do it on their own". They fear that others will think they are stupid if they ask a question .I was playing with a fellow once and he threw a shot through a narrow opening when there was a wide open option. I gently pointed this out and his response was "mind your own business". Later I found out that this fellow never took any advice from anyone about anything. It's best to leave them alone until they ask you .

The biggest thing I find when explaining or playing with new players is that weights are not the end all direct correlation with stability and distance. Every time someone sees my bag and I start explaining the differences in discs and stability how hard they will fade etc. they usually respond with: "So it has to do with the weight." I explain that weight has less to do with the stability than other factors. I let them throw a few of my discs to show them the difference. Usually starting with a Stratus, then Buzzz, then Drone to show the spectrum of understable, stable, overstable. Those terms usually don't mean anything. Those who come in to it thinking they are cocky because they can throw a regular frisbee get quickly humbled when they can get a stratus to fly straight.

On the other hand I have an experience with my dad. I had been trying to get him to come out and play for a while and finally he obliged. After a few terrible throws, and even one ending up in the river lost for good, he took my advice and ended up playing decent. He even hit the basket on one of his throws. He tells that story to this day even though he has not played much. I am still trying to get him to come out with me more. Maybe he will catch the bug soon.

I'm starting to become impatient with my brother (sorry if you're reading this, King Griplock). I keep waiting for him to realize that drivers are not the end all, be all and he still uses a champ Boss like a security blanket. I don't know how often I park holes or stay on the fairway while he gets kicked way off course b/c he drove w/ a driver on a really wooded hole. It's getting frustrating b/c I think he has the potential to be a very good player, probably even better than me if he just worked on some basic fundamentals but I don't want to be a nag and make DG not fun for him. He is getting better at a glacial pace but I know I could speed up that learning curve really quickly.

I feel ya bd. My younger brother was throwing magnets off the tee at the start of the season. Now due to a lapse in playing time and going out with his torque monkey friends, he has now resorted to throwing drones where he'd do buzzz, avenger instead of xl/stalker, and now can't drive his putter:( what's even worse is that his gf has been coming out with me and is now developing fh&bh while obtaining 3's & 4's and hitting some big putts.
I gotta get him back to where he was!

Thats when I stop trying to help and just go on with my own game

Agreed. If you want to learn the game or anything else, you have to be patient and at least try to listen to what others are trying to tell you. Be respectful, otherwise, move on. I give you credit for trying though.

I took out a couple friends who had never been disc golfing last summer. Before we started I gave them some basic advice: backhand goes left, forehand goes right, throw the disc flat...

One guy was pretty serious about learning and asked some questions and improved a bit. The other insisted on throwing everything overhand and got the disc (and my shoe on one occasion) stuck in 3 trees over the 18 holes. At the end of the day they both thought it was stupid. Right now they are probably both playing world of warcraft. Any advice on getting people to like it or are some people just a lost cause when it comes to disc golfing?

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
Buddha