• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who been given discs?

I have given discs to plenty of new players I see throwing only 1 disc. My dad was given a 150 class shark when I played with Thrembo and 2 non DGCR guys.

That same week prerube gave some discs to some random noobs looking for a lost disc during one of our rounds!

my very first disc was a 150g DX Shark given to me by my old boss.. "sadjo".. and since that day i have never been the same lol :thmbup:.. down the road I gave that same disc to a friend as their first disc and they then passed it down the line to their dad for his first.. thats a few miles for a 150g Shark..now that i mention it i need to check and see if he is still throwing that bad boy

This was really before I started playing. I was working in a Gas Station in Fort Worth back in 1999. (The Exxon station that used to be at Everman Pkwy & 35W. It's now a strip club) I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I grew up around Disc Golf, and always wanted to play it. I just never took that step.

Moving on...

These two guys came in, and one was wearing a PDGA shirt. So I said "You play Disc Golf!" and a brief conversation began. I told him that I'd been wanting to play, and that I even had a couple of Discs. Just never got around to it. Well, they had just come from the Round Rock Tournament and were on their way back to Oklahoma. He left, and a moment later he came back. He gave me his Tournament disc, which was a discraft XL. He told me that should help get me started. His PDGA # was on the back, and I've looked him up. But it's not been renewed. I'd have to look it up again, but I believe his name was Greg Stanbridge. About 6 months later, a coworker/friend of mine gave me a gazelle and took me out to Z-Boaz. It took 5 more years for me to get hooked, and now here I am! :)

I just always thought that was a cool experience, and set my impression that DGr's were really cool people!

Last edited:
I've been lucky enough to have been given a few discs.

My roommate got me a DX shark for my birthday after I lost my buzzz. I loved that disc. Had two aces on it before I had to retire it as it beat in too much.

One of the Sedgley locals swears by the Comet and I got partnered up with him two weeks in a row in doubles. In the second round he grabbed a heavier elite-x comet out of his car and had me toss it on a couple holes. Parked hole 5 and hole 7 with it and he said the disc was mine after that. Retired it after it beat in too much but I give it out as a loaner to newbies as it's such a nice forgiving disc still.

The most mysterious one happened around my birthday last year. The day after my birthday I went and grabbed my bag and as I'm walking to my car to play a round I notice a new red disc in there. Took it out and it was a champion leopard. To this day I have no idea who gave it to me. I asked every single person that could have possibly slipped it into my bag and no one would fess up to it. I just wanted to thank them as that disc served me well for a long time. And it wasn't a case of mistaken bag where someone might have accidentally put it in my bag because at the time I was playing with a homemade one of a kind cloth bag. Very strange.

Also my best friend had a slight disc buying addiction for a little while and got 10 or so star high speed drivers. At the time I swore by a champion wraith and then lost it one day so he gave me a nice pink star wraith. I eventually got an ace with it off a skip. I lost it a month or two ago and it actually came back to me this past weekend. I was very fortunate there as I had spent a year and a half working it to the sweet spot. I was so grateful after I hit the ace with it that I hooked up my buddy with a putter and two mids to suit his game better, as I have a slight disc buying addiction now.

Last edited:
I've given like 5 dx discs out this year to new players. I feel its a nice way to help the game. My buddy once found a disc he didn't want and gave it to me.

i was given a Z buzzz, a soft focus, and an ESP nuke about a year ago by the best player in the state.

the rest is history

I actually got a disc about 4 days ago. The disc was left pretty much on the fairaway, so I decided to call both numbers, and email the guy. (there was all his information there) He called back a few days later saying that I could keep it. It was a star destroyer. I tried to throw it a couple times, but it was just too fast for me. It's up for auction now if any of you are interested. :thmbup:

a few weeks ago i was playing my local course and hole four crosses a path and as i went to pick up my bag an older lady that was walking the path came up to me and said, "i found this last winter, maybe you know someone that can use it." i said yes i do, thank you. i thought it was kind of strange.
disc was a DX Gazelle with some extra sharpie art.

I've been given a few in my days and found tons more.

A buddy of mine -- in our bag tag group -- got his entire bag and all discs stolen from a car break-in.

I pulled a bunch of stuff of my wall and refilled his bag, well, at least got it started for him.

171 Champ Boss
175 DX Valk
169 Star Leo
175 KC Pro Roc
172 Pro-D Zone
175 SSS Wizard
175 SSS Magic.

Ol' GiggemJohny gave him his old bag.

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie to the board. First post - here goes..

I recently threw my Champion XCaliber into the reservoir at my local course and was wading around in the 3 to 4-foot deep water looking for it. Unfortunately, I never found it, but I found a Star Destroyer and was satisfied. A few minutes later, I watched from the water as two more players launched their tee shots in the rez near where I was standing. One of the discs was at least 30 yards from the shore, but I was able to find it thanks to the help of my friends on the shore. I gave each of the players their discs back, and in return was given different discs from their bags. So I lost one disc, but gained three! I'll make sure to repay the favor someday

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie to the board. First post - here goes..

I recently threw my Champion XCaliber into the reservoir at my local course and was wading around in the 3 to 4-foot deep water looking for it. Unfortunately, I never found it, but I found a Star Destroyer and was satisfied. A few minutes later, I watched from the water as two more players launched their tee shots in the rez near where I was standing. One of the discs was at least 30 yards from the shore, but I was able to find it thanks to the help of my friends on the shore. I gave each of the players their discs back, and in return was given different discs from their bags. So I lost one disc, but gained three! I'll make sure to repay the favor someday

Welcome.

I had never been given a disc. I read this thread for the first time the other day and today I was given my first disc.

This Discraft Tye Dye Wildcat given to me by Peanut Pete from Atlanta.

picture.php

I met Pete on the last hole of my morning round. He was in the area with family and was staying in Richmond. We talked for the last few shots I told him about a few courses in Richmond he would like.

I offered him a cold beverage after the round and he generously handed me this disc. Out of the Blue. What a random act of kindness can do to make your day.

There are good people in the world, You dont hear about them as much. I believe alot in Karma and what goes around comes around. Cool thread, Cant believe it hasnt been trolled yet.

I was once playing with a guy I barely knew and a guy I had just met, and I was talking about how I wanted a more stable midrange than my Buzzz. He pulled out a Warrior (S plastic), checked to make sure his name wasn't on it, and then gave it to me. It was pretty much brand new. The great thing is, I ended up giving it to a friend of mine, and one day we saw a guy throw his only disc into the pond on #3 at Chapel Hill, and my friend gave the disc to him. Good karma disc all around.

Nowadays I try to always keep a giveaway disc with me, I am probably up to about 10 now, but my favorite was when I gave one to a couple playing with minis at Cornwallis park. They said the people at target told them they could use those to play. :doh:

JP in Ypsi is the man

When i first started playing years ago there was this guy JP that i would see all the time. Dude had a trunk full of discs. As we would talk he would pull discs out to let us have/borrow. He said if we didnt like the disc to give it to someone else or back to him. To this day my buddy still has a crystal buzz in his bag from like 4 or 5 years ago. JP is the man.

I was given a few discs by a friend's friend who couldnt play anymore due to shoulder related injuries. I was also given discs nobody used in my group. So far i have 5 discs given/picked up to use.

Latest posts